Jim Tressel resigns

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The funny thing is, it's now being reported Pryor's driver's license has been suspended for over 90 days. So what was he doing driving off in his 350Z last night?

Russ, about the Bball program, it wouldn't surprise me if something turned up but I don't think anything major is going on there. Matta has brought in a bunch of talent though, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Wally, the Jim O'brien thing is misrepresented all the time. I think that guy was as honest and upstanding as a coach can be. He sued and won that he was wrongfully terminated by OSU. The thing he got in trouble for was giving a Serbian player money. But he did so AFTER he was declared inelgible to play at OSU because he was deemed to have been a professional in Europe. The guy never played a minute for OSU and his home/family was in the middle of the war. O'brien gave him his own money as a humantitarian gesture.The NCAA did come down hard on OSU/O'brien but I would never lump O'brien in with Tressel. O'brien was a good guy, Tressel acted like one.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
The guy managed to smear not only his profession but his faith too.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html#ixzz1NwRw7JzB
That former colleague, I have beers with about once a month. I know exactly who said that. He's one of the reasons I know Tressel has been a fraud from day 1. I also am good friends with the guy who was Clarett's tutor at OSU. The stuff Clarett got away with, and the stories he would tell me, were amazing and I'm sure Pryor was worse. One of the guys Tressel royally screwed over signed an UDFA contract with the Cards a couple years ago but didn't make it, OT Derek Morris.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Violations no. But the stuff about the fixed raffle that really surprised me I had the same type of reaction AJ did, although mine had nothing to do with religion. I just had a tough time understanding how a guy got such a rep for being a great guy when he could do something that low?

Beanie Wells has been defending the vest today oh he touched so many lives and he made us better men, people have the wrong impression of him.

no we don't, character is what you do when nobody is watching, and when Tressel thought nobody was watching, he was rigging raffles to try and get a recruiting edge, in effect stealing money from the non elite prospects at his camp. That's pretty low IMHO.
You got me. I never understood it. Maybe we should all read:
You must be registered for see images

:barf:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or they could hire Randy Shannon ex U of Miami HC. His claim to fame, was he raised GPAs, reduced arrests, and graduated players. He can't coach worth a hoot, but WTH, OSU could use some grooming.

Plus he would take his severance pay off the books at Miami. That would be nice.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, it's now being reported Pryor's driver's license has been suspended for over 90 days. So what was he doing driving off in his 350Z last night?

Russ, about the Bball program, it wouldn't surprise me if something turned up but I don't think anything major is going on there. Matta has brought in a bunch of talent though, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Wally, the Jim O'brien thing is misrepresented all the time. I think that guy was as honest and upstanding as a coach can be. He sued and won that he was wrongfully terminated by OSU. The thing he got in trouble for was giving a Serbian player money. But he did so AFTER he was declared inelgible to play at OSU because he was deemed to have been a professional in Europe. The guy never played a minute for OSU and his home/family was in the middle of the war. O'brien gave him his own money as a humantitarian gesture.The NCAA did come down hard on OSU/O'brien but I would never lump O'brien in with Tressel. O'brien was a good guy, Tressel acted like one.

He was paying the kid prior to him being declared ineligible because he said after looking into the kids background he knew the NCAA would declare him ineligible.

Even the judge who ruled in O'Brien's favor said it was the result of a bad contract not a lack of wrong doing by the coach.

"It is clear that this seemingly unfair result arises from the extremely favorable provisions of the contract," Ohio Court of Claims Judge Joseph T. Clark wrote in his decision.

"The contract is extremely favorable to the plaintiff but it is not unreasonable," Clark said in his decision. "The parties in this case negotiated a contract virtually guaranteeing [O'Brien] that he could not be terminated for an NCAA infraction."

I complained then they weren't cited for LOIC for giving such a contract.

here's collegehoop.net on the O'Brien story. Shortly after the recruiting trip, O’Brien became aware that Radojevic had played briefly for a professional team in Yugoslavia in 1996 and that this made him ineligible to play for any collegiate program in the United States. O’Brien continued to try to recruit Radojevic in the hopes that OSU could petition the NCAA and have his eligibility reinstated. Radojevic signed a letter of intent to play for the Buckeyes on November 11, 1998 and paid an official recruiting visit to the school the following month. Shortly after this recruiting visit, O’Brien came to the conclusion that Radojevic would not be able to have his eligibility reinstated. At approximately the same time, O’Brien’s staff was contacted by a friend of the Radojevic family who asked for financial assistance for Radojevic so that he could visit his mother and family in Serbia. An Ohio trial court found that O’Brien had “resolved” that Radojevic would not regain his NCAA eligibility and that it would, therefore, be permissible to give his family a loan on a purely humanitarian basis. O’Brien sent one of his assistant coaches, Paul Biancardi, to New York City with an envelope containing $6,000 in cash to a waiter known as “Semi” Patrovic. It was not known at the time what relationship Patrovic had to the Radojevic family, but Patrovic ultimately became Radojevic’s sports agent. No one other than O’Brien and Biancardi were aware of the transaction.

---------------------

note, O'Brien did not notify TOSU that he had paid the recruit, they found out 5 years later after they'd spent time and money petitioning the NCAA to reinstate the kids eligibility. There was a whole dirty side to that story that got glossed over because O'Brien won in court. He knowingly broke the rule and let the school continue to petition which implies he was perfectly willing to play the kid after paying him, if the NCAA had reinstated him.

note what the basketball program apparently has to deal with now is that several early stories on this mentioned that Sullinger's signed jersey was hanging in several of the same restaurants and clubs that had signed football memorabilia linked to this scandal. Shortly after the early reports there were stories that those jerseys were all being taken down(football and Sullingers). So it's reasonable to at least assume he may have done the same thing and sold his signed jerseys, but everyone is focused on football, if basketball is involved too then you get the LOIC.

And yes that's the Paul Biancardi who is now in charge of basketball recruiting news for ESPN.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was paying the kid prior to him being declared ineligible because he said after looking into the kids background he knew the NCAA would declare him ineligible.

Even the judge who ruled in O'Brien's favor said it was the result of a bad contract not a lack of wrong doing by the coach.

"It is clear that this seemingly unfair result arises from the extremely favorable provisions of the contract," Ohio Court of Claims Judge Joseph T. Clark wrote in his decision.

"The contract is extremely favorable to the plaintiff but it is not unreasonable," Clark said in his decision. "The parties in this case negotiated a contract virtually guaranteeing [O'Brien] that he could not be terminated for an NCAA infraction."

I complained then they weren't cited for LOIC for giving such a contract.

here's collegehoop.net on the O'Brien story. Shortly after the recruiting trip, O’Brien became aware that Radojevic had played briefly for a professional team in Yugoslavia in 1996 and that this made him ineligible to play for any collegiate program in the United States. O’Brien continued to try to recruit Radojevic in the hopes that OSU could petition the NCAA and have his eligibility reinstated. Radojevic signed a letter of intent to play for the Buckeyes on November 11, 1998 and paid an official recruiting visit to the school the following month. Shortly after this recruiting visit, O’Brien came to the conclusion that Radojevic would not be able to have his eligibility reinstated. At approximately the same time, O’Brien’s staff was contacted by a friend of the Radojevic family who asked for financial assistance for Radojevic so that he could visit his mother and family in Serbia. An Ohio trial court found that O’Brien had “resolved” that Radojevic would not regain his NCAA eligibility and that it would, therefore, be permissible to give his family a loan on a purely humanitarian basis. O’Brien sent one of his assistant coaches, Paul Biancardi, to New York City with an envelope containing $6,000 in cash to a waiter known as “Semi” Patrovic. It was not known at the time what relationship Patrovic had to the Radojevic family, but Patrovic ultimately became Radojevic’s sports agent. No one other than O’Brien and Biancardi were aware of the transaction.

---------------------

note what the basketball program apparently has to deal with now is that several early stories on this mentioned that Sullinger's signed jersey was hanging in several of the same restaurants and clubs that had signed football memorabilia linked to this scandal. Shortly after the early reports there were stories that those jerseys were all being taken down(football and Sullingers). So it's reasonable to at least assume he may have done the same thing and sold his signed jerseys, but everyone is focused on football, if basketball is involved too then you get the LOIC.

And yes that's the Paul Biancardi who is now in charge of basketball recruiting news for ESPN.

Seems like the $6k humanitarian gift, was nothing more than a "oops this thing didn't work, so here's a few sheckles for your trouble" payoff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the $6k humanitarian gift, was nothing more than a "oops this thing didn't work, so here's a few sheckles for your trouble" payoff.

it may have been truly humanitarian the kid was poor and needed the money. but he got money from other sources too.

There was a whole thing going on with TOSU and Serbian kids because of Paul Biancardi.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2005-05-15-ohio-state-payback_x.htm

It's why I wonder how ESPN can run stories exposing this stuff when they employ Biancardi?

Google the name Kathlleen Salyers if you want the whole story she was essentially paid by TOSU boosters to house a Serbian player because TOSU had found out the boosters were housing him and said that's against the rules. so the boosters paid the woman thousands of dollars to house the player with the promise they'd reimburse her even more later. She sued them in court but the judge said the oral contract wasn't valid.

It's old but it gets back to the Institutional Control thing which clearly is the main problem TOSU has right now. If they get nailed with that, and they appear to be guilty of it, then it could be REALLY bad.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It's why I wonder how ESPN can run stories exposing this stuff when they employ Biancardi?

Google the name Kathlleen Salyers if you want the whole story she was essentially paid by TOSU boosters to house a Serbian player because TOSU had found out the boosters were housing him and said that's against the rules. so the boosters paid the woman thousands of dollars to house the player with the promise they'd reimburse her even more later. She sued them in court but the judge said the oral contract wasn't valid.

It's old but it gets back to the Institutional Control thing which clearly is the main problem TOSU has right now. If they get nailed with that, and they appear to be guilty of it, then it could be REALLY bad.
Hell, ESPN has one of the biggest college cheaters of all time on every Saturday in Lou Holtz. Every program he has been at has been put on probation.

iirc, the booster was named Romanoff and the player was Boban Savovic. That was strange story from the get go. There was rumors of Boban having relationships with Salyer's daughter and Salyer's herself.

There has been questions from day 1 about the timing of when O'brien gave the kid money. Granted, he was in the wrong to give him money but, and I guess I could be wrong, O'brien was a good, stand-up guy. If he was a scumball like Tressel, Randy Ayers, and, back then, Gary Williams I would say so.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell, ESPN has one of the biggest college cheaters of all time on every Saturday in Lou Holtz. Every program he has been at has been put on probation.

iirc, the booster was named Romanoff and the player was Boban Savovic. That was strange story from the get go. There was rumors of Boban having relationships with Salyer's daughter and Salyer's herself.

There has been questions from day 1 about the timing of when O'brien gave the kid money. Granted, he was in the wrong to give him money but, and I guess I could be wrong, O'brien was a good, stand-up guy. If he was a scumball like Tressel, Randy Ayers, and, back then, Gary Williams I would say so.

I wouldn't object if he honestly gave the kid money knowing he'd never play for TOSU. The problem is TOSU continued to recruit the kid after he paid him because the school didn't know about the payment and they were working to try and get the NCAA to reinstate the kids amateur status after they found out what O'Brien already knew, that he'd played for pay in Serbia.

So O'Brien not only lied to TOSU by not disclosing the payment(wasting their time and money) he lied to the NCAA by trying to help the kid get eligible knowing he himself had paid the kid too.

It's an old story of course but if you look at the timing you can see there's a pattern for more than 10 years where in 2 programs this has gone on time after time. That's why I will be amazed if they don't get hit with LOIC.

It's not just TOSU of course, but they've been caught several times now they're going to take the fall.

Unfortunately they will probably get the hit USC deserved since USC's issues were football and basketball at essentially the same time absolutely proving LOIC. SC didn't get hit nearly hard enough IMHO so TOSU may now take the fall.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/ncaa/06/15/salyers.ohiostate/index.html

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort