James Jones hired as Suns General Manager

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree we should grab an all star when we have a chance. I just don't think that's the game DLO has for our squad. Plus, in the history of Phoenix, we have had some very good back courts. Our achilles heel, bigs! Say the free agent had been a dynamic PF, I would have been more on board for "the reach." I do agree with Bickley's view that IF an All-Star wants to come here in their prime, we should grab them. Just where we are locking in one of our max slots to DLO means we are going DLO, Booker, Ayton as our big three. Is that good enough to get a title? I don't know.
Yeah I get this. I was solidly on the fence in regards to DLO. People will note I was conspicuously silent on most DLO topics.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know the fear is not reaching mediocrity, but remaining there.
When the Suns were mediocre everybody was on here saying, "We need to get really bad so we can pick the next LBJ."

The Suns have now been really bad for several years and their best player is one they picked when they were mediocre. Booker #13. Hopefully Ayton will make all the tanking worthwhile.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
When the Suns were mediocre everybody was on here saying, "We need to get really bad so we can pick the next LBJ."

The Suns have now been really bad for several years and their best player is one they picked when they were mediocre. Booker #13. Hopefully Ayton will make all the tanking worthwhile.
To be fair tanking works a lot better if you don't blow the picks the way the Suns blew most of theirs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair tanking works a lot better if you don't blow the picks the way the Suns blew most of theirs.

Quite true but it also works a lot better if you get lucky, and especially if you get lucky in the right years. We didn't get lucky and we took long odds chances probably in part because we'd had less than ideal luck. In hindsight, we'd have probably been better off not tanking at all given that we had already missed the postseason for 5 straight years so fan tolerance and support was predictably limited.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quite true but it also works a lot better if you get lucky, and especially if you get lucky in the right years. We didn't get lucky and we took long odds chances probably in part because we'd had less than ideal luck. In hindsight, we'd have probably been better off not tanking at all given that we had already missed the postseason for 5 straight years so fan tolerance and support was predictably limited.
McD sold Sarver on a complete rebuild. Most of us here were on board for that as well. He drafted poorly, but he also drafted with the media consensus almost every time. It's like McD looked at all the mocks and just made the choice they all would have made. I am not sure how much of the draft picks were a disaster or just the fact that it is impossible to really develop young talent when you have almost all 18-19 year olds. Certainly, we did not do a good job developing the talent we had, whether not it was good enough talent to begin with. Watson was a disaster of a coach. I still like Igor, but most here would consider him a disaster too.

This is certainly a change. We are committing to Booker and Ayton. It looks like we may be committing to Bridges and Oubre too. Everything else is being built around those players, with the intent to complement them.

I have no idea if it will work or not.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don't we at least have to get there before we rise above it?
This, but we would also be getting there on the backs of our young rising talent (Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Oubre). That would suggest that we could absolutely rise above that just from them continuing to grow.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

It's like cashing out your 401k to buy a lottery ticket.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All traces of McD wiped clean, except for Booker.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ayton was his pick and Bridges. He was fired after those picks.
To be fair it has been rumored that Bridges is not the guy he wanted to trade up for. Also Jones was involved with both of those selections and I am guessing he approved of them. So it might be fair to say that Booker is really the only one that was truly McD's pick that is still around.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the team finishes with less than 30 wins next year, does Jones survive?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If the team finishes with less than 30 wins next year, does Jones survive?
I am betting he gets a free year. If we lose less then 19, I don't know. I would have to think with the coaches and players we have, mide twenties win total has to be expected I would think.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Rubio will make Ayton make all the tanking worthwhile...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair it has been rumored that Bridges is not the guy he wanted to trade up for. Also Jones was involved with both of those selections and I am guessing he approved of them. So it might be fair to say that Booker is really the only one that was truly McD's pick that is still around.
I love that jones gets credit for good moves made by mcd but a complete pass for the bad ones. Lol.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I love that jones gets credit for good moves made by mcd but a complete pass for the bad ones. Lol.
Plenty would argue that the trade that McD is rumored to have wanted would have been better. He supposedly wanted to make a similar trade for SGA, but was shot down by Sarver.

I am also not giving Jones credit, but am explaining why he is cleaning house of everyone but those guys (because technically they are his guys as well).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA