James Jones hired as Suns General Manager

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You don't need inside info the facts are all there right out in the open.

I'm just surprised more people haven't brought it up.
Me too! I think Amin Elhassen brought it up also. I will be watching to see if our offense and defense play more like San Antonio's this year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
San Antonio is also the one franchise that makes weird draft picks and unusual moves that rarely get questioned. Probably has something to do with the five titles they've won but.....

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
San Antonio is also the one franchise that makes weird draft picks and unusual moves that rarely get questioned. Probably has something to do with the five titles they've won but.....
Shows what we all know about basketball. I watch some of their draft picks and are like, WTF? Then we play them and that guy kills us. LOL.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Only problem is you gonna paint the Mona Lisa you need your own Leonardo da Vinci.
You could argue that a big part of Pop's effectiveness is the way they build their teams in the first place. By looking for high IQ, unselfish, hard working players that also behave off the court they are able to build cohesive units that are better than a look at the roster would suggest. Kind of like the 2013/14 Suns, but they don't luck into that kind of chemistry because they actively build with that in mind with every move they make.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You could argue that a big part of Pop's effectiveness is the way they build their teams in the first place. By looking for high IQ, unselfish, hard working players that also behave off the court they are able to build cohesive units that are better than a look at the roster would suggest. Kind of like the 2013/14 Suns, but they don't luck into that kind of chemistry because they actively build with that in mind with every move they make.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A healthy Booker gets us 16 more wins. Josh Jackson being elsewhere gets us 14 more wins. A stronger Bridges gets us 4 more wins. Oubre for a full season gets us 7 more wins. A healthy Tyler gets us 3 more wins. Rubio gets us 4 more wins. An improved Ayton gets us 6 more wins. Saric gets us 4 more wins. Baynes gets us 3 more wins. Another year of heavy roster turnover costs us 8 wins. A new coaching system costs us 4 wins. Loss of TJ Warren costs us 3 games. No Holmes costs us 2 wins.

So, if my math is correct, we're looking at 63 wins this season. I was going to predict 35 wins but after seeing these numbers, it's obvious that I was selling us short.
No smiley? :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Funny, this is the same criteria that Bill Belichek uses.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Funny, this is the same criteria that Bill Belichek uses.

I know, funny thing is he had arguably the worst monster in the history of professional sports on his team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which side of this transaction would you prefer?

In:
Rubio, Saric, Baynes, Kaminski, Carter #11, #24.

Out: Warren, Jackson, Melton, Bender, Holmes, Daniels, #6, #32, Bucks 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, 2021 Protected 2nd.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

In:

Out: Warren, Jackson, Melton, Bender, Holmes, Daniels, #6, #32, Bucks 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, 2021 Protected 2nd.

I consider Rubio and Warren a wash, Jackson considerably better than Saric, Holmes slightly better than Haynes, Carter slightly better than Melton, and Kaminsky moderately better than Bender. That plus Daniels gives a slight advantage to the Out, though the team is now more balanced.

Then there's the draft capital, which isn't even close.

James Jones got worked...repeatedly...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Still prefer the “in”.

I could see the argument for that, if you take away the draft picks, but I don't see how you can ignore the draft capital James Jones squandered for what will likely be only a modest improvement to the roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I could see the argument for that, if you take away the draft picks, but I don't see how you can ignore the draft capital James Jones squandered for what will likely be only a modest improvement to the roster.
Ahh, the classic overvaluing of draft picks and the very sudden delegitimizing the signing of a distributing point guard. You whined in almost EVERY POST how we needed a point guard, and now you're saying Rubio for Warren is a wash? Are you serious? That's ridiculous and couldn't disagree more.

And our "draft" capital isn't much.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

In:

This lacks context.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best part of this off-season was getting rid of the Bucks' pick. That thing lost most of its value as soon as Budenholzer was hired. I grew tired of people including it in trade scenarios like it was a valuable chip.

The Bucks' pick for #24 and Baynes was a good trade by James Jones.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

In:

I am looking at 2 second rounders we are out potentially? Plus we used the Bucks 2020 1st we tried a whole season to give away for a decent PG and had no takers? Plus we moved BACK into the #24 to grab a PG.

Maybe some overspend, but not like we gave away the whole franchise like some fans are acting like. It's like the Suns bought a car and didn't get a good trade in value. It happens. Hopefully the next cars we buy, negotiations get better. Worry if the car is a good car. That's what's more important!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best part of this off-season was getting rid of the Bucks' pick. That thing lost most of its value as soon as Budenholzer was hired. I grew tired of people including it in trade scenarios like it was a valuable chip.

The Bucks' pick for #24 and Baynes was a good trade by James Jones.

I think it had some value, not a lot though. I didn't like how some wanted to hold onto the pick in case Giannis got hurt, almost like they were betting on it happening.

I do think Baynes and #24 was as good as that was going to get.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am looking at 2 second rounders we are out potentially? Plus we used the Bucks 2020 1st we tried a whole season to give away for a decent PG and had no takers? Plus we moved BACK into the #24 to grab a PG.

Maybe some overspend, but not like we gave away the whole franchise like some fans are acting like. It's like the Suns bought a car and didn't get a good trade in value. It happens. Hopefully the next cars we buy, negotiations get better. Worry if the car is a good car. That's what's more important!

I like that analogy but I'd say that the car we traded had some problem but we weren't sure how bad it was. When the dealership gave it a look over, it turned to have a busted head gasket. We're lucky they agreed to take it still because if we brought it home then we would have had to pay someone to tow it away later.