Jalen Thompson Practices in Full

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Per Odegard, this would be huge for us. He’s played so well when healthy.
Last year he was bad in the first stretch of the season then got better in last final games
This year he just played few snaps
Looks promising but isn't a sure thing yet

Meanwhile I don't get why deionte got less chance then him to develop, especially when jalen was injured, I thought he deserved more playing time
But then I realize the coach they have and it's better don't think about t it

He is the only safety with some lenght in the roster

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year he was bad in the first stretch of the season then got better in last final games

Meanwhile I don't get why deionte got less chance then him to develop, especially when jalen was injured, I thought he deserved more playing time

He was?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

At times last year I thought he played better than BB. About the same time that VJ simplified his defensive assignments, JT started to really shine. The last 4-5 games of 2019, JT started making plays all over the field. I was excited to see his growth this season, only for him to get hurt early in our first game. The game he came back in this season, he twisted the same ankle again & has been out ever since. Not to sound like a homer (all though I can, it's our board lol) but if his growth continues, I believe we can have 2 pro bowl safeties? We need him Sunday to help stop the bleeding with our run defense. After 2019 ended, VJ had his last press conference. He was asked about Deonte Thompson. He said at that time they had a plan for Deonte. Went on to say they wanted to beef him up & even mentioned him covering TE's in so many words. I'm paraphrasing of course but he didn't go into exact detail as to what the plan was. Just basically said what I said. Whatever the plan was, it must have failed because Banjo has played most of the time. I know Deonte missed a lot of tackles last season & that's not typical of a Nick Saban DB. DB's are what Nick Saban develops best. That was his position to coach while with BB & he still works with the DB's every day in practice at Alabama.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man... people wax poetic about Jalen, but he never made any kind of impact on me.
Go back & watch our last 4-5 games from 2019, I'm telling you he was either in on every tackle or around the ball. Especially against the run. It made sense the way he started playing was the same time VJ simplified the defensive assignments. He's damn good in run support & I hope he can play Sunday because we need him? The Rams may be playing their 3rd string RB but we need to look at what Jeff Wilson did to us Saturday. He is the 49ers 3rd string RB & he torched us. I know, a whole lot of it is the scheme VJ runs but he has made a few halftime adjustments this season that's helped. In no way am I a VJ fan though. If we don't stop the run sunday, we'll lose. People keep saying that we have to pressure Wolford which is true but we have to stop the run first imo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go back & watch our last 4-5 games from 2019, I'm telling you he was either in on every tackle or around the ball. Especially against the run. It made sense the way he started playing was the same time VJ simplified the defensive assignments. He's damn good in run support & I hope he can play Sunday because we need him? The Rams may be playing their 3rd string RB but we need to look at what Jeff Wilson did to us Saturday. He is the 49ers 3rd string RB & he torched us. I know, a whole lot of it is the scheme VJ runs but he has made a few halftime adjustments this season that's helped. In no way am I a VJ fan though. If we don't stop the run sunday, we'll lose. People keep saying that we have to pressure Wolford which is true but we have to stop the run first imo.

def agreed with that last point. Hope the rest proves true!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe he wasnt ready but he played poorly
Then I saw him making progress, gaining confidence, but nothing to assume he is a future pro bowler
I think he has a chance to turn in a good one but at now isn't sure yet
I know some fans always has some unjustified hope ragarding certain players, so I just wait to call him the long term solution for the safety position
I still remember the same comments about Christian Kirk and he is turning into an average WR, nothing more

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Therein lies the problem with having Thompson and Baker on the field at the same time, two safeties who are very good at run support and neither is a true free safety so you have two strong safeties and no free safety on the field. I think that's why Banjo is playing so much, he's more of a free safety.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem with having Thompson and Baker on the field at the same time, two safeties who are very good at run support and neither is a true free safety so you have two strong safeties and no free safety on the field. I think that's why Banjo is playing so much, he's more of a free safety.
Banjo is only playing because Thompson is hurt...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe he wasnt ready but he played poorly
Then I saw him making progress, gaining confidence, but nothing to assume he is a future pro bowler
I think he has a chance to turn in a good one but at now isn't sure yet
I know some fans always has some unjustified hope ragarding certain players, so I just wait to call him the long term solution for the safety position
I still remember the same comments about Christian Kirk and he is turning into an average WR, nothing more
He was supplemental draft player so he didn't get to the team until late.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jalen has a nice S skill set. He can cover in man. He can tackle. He is pretty fast. Size is about the only thing he doesn't have.

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

Jalen is pretty good in coverage from what I’ve seen.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At times last year I thought he played better than BB. About the same time that VJ simplified his defensive assignments, JT started to really shine. The last 4-5 games of 2019, JT started making plays all over the field. I was excited to see his growth this season, only for him to get hurt early in our first game. The game he came back in this season, he twisted the same ankle again & has been out ever since. Not to sound like a homer (all though I can, it's our board lol) but if his growth continues, I believe we can have 2 pro bowl safeties? We need him Sunday to help stop the bleeding with our run defense. After 2019 ended, VJ had his last press conference. He was asked about Deonte Thompson. He said at that time they had a plan for Deonte. Went on to say they wanted to beef him up & even mentioned him covering TE's in so many words. I'm paraphrasing of course but he didn't go into exact detail as to what the plan was. Just basically said what I said. Whatever the plan was, it must have failed because Banjo has played most of the time. I know Deonte missed a lot of tackles last season & that's not typical of a Nick Saban DB. DB's are what Nick Saban develops best. That was his position to coach while with BB & he still works with the DB's every day in practice at Alabama.
Great post! I just don’t understand the playing time that Banjo gets? He missed some critical tackles last week & is nowhere near the athlete that Deonte is. I’m excited to see Jalen possibly play, but not at all confident that he won’t reinjure that ankle again. Ankles are such nagging injuries.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... people wax poetic about Jalen, but he never made any kind of impact on me.

He's not Ed Reed but he's much better than Banjo. He can defend the run but he's also athletic enough to play the pass, he was a supplemental pick so no combine numbers but at his pro day he ran 4.47 and 4.56 which is good, but the main thing is he is much more fluid than banjo he can change directions. He's been out quite a bit so he may be rusty but when he came back it was immediately obvious to me this year he can play further off the LOS and still get up into run support because he's quick and fast enough to do it. Banjo plays hard but to me he's always in between, he's either too close to the LOS and can't get into pass coverage, or he's too far back and late in run stopping. To me he really impacts how Budda plays because Baker has to worry about Banjo more than he does about Jalen Thompson.

Jalen is faster and quicker than Banjo and just a much more fluid athlete, he's not a SS, he may not be a pure FS but I think where he's going to help the most is he makes Budda better because Budda has to worry less about what's behind him with Jalen there.

I actually think if he can stay healthy he can be the other starting safety for the future, again not a pro bowler but a good solid player. Banjo is basically a ST guy who's giving his all trying to be a starting S but he's just not that guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add the big concern on Thompson has always been size, remember the entire reason he was a supplemental pick is he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA because he bought supplements that were banned, and most people assumed it was to try and gain weight since he was about 185 pounds at the time. He played both S and CB at WSU, he's very versatile but people worried his size would be an issue in the NFL. I don't think size has anything to do with the ankle injury though

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great post! I just don’t understand the playing time that Banjo gets? He missed some critical tackles last week & is nowhere near the athlete that Deonte is. I’m excited to see Jalen possibly play, but not at all confident that he won’t reinjure that ankle again. Ankles are such nagging injuries.
He got hurt so quick when he came back. Maybe they should wait & play him in the 2nd half lol?

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
He's not Ed Reed but he's much better than Banjo. He can defend the run but he's also athletic enough to play the pass, he was a supplemental pick so no combine numbers but at his pro day he ran 4.47 and 4.56 which is good, but the main thing is he is much more fluid than banjo he can change directions. He's been out quite a bit so he may be rusty but when he came back it was immediately obvious to me this year he can play further off the LOS and still get up into run support because he's quick and fast enough to do it. Banjo plays hard but to me he's always in between, he's either too close to the LOS and can't get into pass coverage, or he's too far back and late in run stopping. To me he really impacts how Budda plays because Baker has to worry about Banjo more than he does about Jalen Thompson.

Jalen is faster and quicker than Banjo and just a much more fluid athlete, he's not a SS, he may not be a pure FS but I think where he's going to help the most is he makes Budda better because Budda has to worry less about what's behind him with Jalen there.

I actually think if he can stay healthy he can be the other starting safety for the future, again not a pro bowler but a good solid player. Banjo is basically a ST guy who's giving his all trying to be a starting S but he's just not that guy.
I think he’s better than Banjo but still nothing special from what I’ve seen. I remember him getting torched by every TE we played last year and being one of the main reasons we drafted Simmons. Good tackler but I don’t see any playmaker ability.

Obviously glad he’s back but I really would like to see what Deonte can do

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard