Jaelen Strong released by Texans

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Curious on why they released him (head case, injuries)? Would like to see the Cards give him a shot, though I’d rather it be on the Practice Squad instead of the active 53.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Strong was excellent at ASU, but he's never made much of an impact in the NFL... it hasn't helped that he's been playing WR with the QB dumpster fire in Houston the last 2 years. He came into the league at 6'2, 217lbs with a 4.44 40 & 42" vertical leap so he has the physical traits teams want. At ASU, he was great at catching back shoulder passes on the sideline & was a good 50/50 target. He's not the quickest guy off the line, but he has long speed & has good strength to get off press coverage.

The knock on him was that he didn't run great routes & didn't get good separation at the college level so that stuff is even harder to do in the NFL. I don't know how good his football IQ is either. He sounds a lot like Michael Floyd... Strong also faced a 1 game suspension for substance abuse. Sources in Houston are saying that his release doesn't have anything to do with more substance abuse problems & it's 100% football related.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strong was excellent at ASU, but he's never made much of an impact in the NFL... it hasn't helped that he's been playing WR with the QB dumpster fire in Houston the last 2 years. He came into the league at 6'2, 217lbs with a 4.44 40 & 42" vertical leap so he has the physical traits teams want. At ASU, he was great at catching back shoulder passes on the sideline & was a good 50/50 target. He's not the quickest guy off the line, but he has long speed & has good strength to get off press coverage.

The knock on him was that he didn't run great routes & didn't get good separation at the college level so that stuff is even harder to do in the NFL. I don't know how good his football IQ is either. He sounds a lot like Michael Floyd... Strong also faced a 1 game suspension for substance abuse. Sources in Houston are saying that his release doesn't have anything to do with more substance abuse problems & it's 100% football related.

Good description. He was the type receiver who would come away with the ball in jump-ball situations. He was a go-to receiver for the Sun Devils.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What wr would you all want him to replace, golden? I think golden is a bit better then strong.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldnt mind him but didnt he have a issue that caused texans to suspend him?

But if he doesnt he may not be a bad pratice squad wr to see if he can climb to the main roster.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The WR I like is Tavarres King (Georgia, 4th year in NFL) who was just released by the Giants. Has decent size (6-1, 200) and 4.4 speed. Fluid route runner. Good body control. Legit deep threat. I hope Steve Keim puts in a claim for King.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The WR I like is Tavarres King (Georgia, 4th year in NFL) who was just released by the Giants. Has decent size (6-1, 200) and 4.4 speed. Fluid route runner. Good body control. Legit deep threat. I hope Steve Keim puts in a claim for King.
U know strong was released cause his off field problems, but the talent is there
King just being released based on performance
Totaled 60 yards in 5 season

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
What wr would you all want him to replace, golden? I think golden is a bit better then strong.

I would IR John Brown, IMHO.

I am not saying for the Cardinals to do that, but if they bring in another WR, that is what I would do.

Either Brown can play or he cannot. His constant limbo is killing this team right now. I know its not his fault, but also its something that needs to be addressed.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Let me help you guys out, the Texans are a franchise mess and did not D.J. Swearinger serve us well... oops, we don't have the Jack and they got Strong :)

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Strong, 24, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a December loss to the 49ers. He continues to rehab after surgery.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard