Reaction score
I'm in.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't see the first and won't see this one. Currently reading this book which features the real Jack Reacher.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Didn't see the first and won't see this one. Currently reading this book which features the real Jack Reacher.

cuttin' yourself short Brian..... while I admit I was skeptical of cruise playing reacher....he has done a fantastic job in the role.....the only thing that has to be overlooked is cruise being so much shorter than reacher...but it is easily done once the movie gets going.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wasn't expecting much out of the first but it was one of those pleasant surprises.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad and depressing.

If you can't separate the two, then why see any movie based on a book?

Sad and depressing? My choice to not see two movies? Wow. Didn't know my actions affected you so greatly. :shades:

I still enjoy the novels and the character of Jack Reacher whose considerable size plays a role in every novel.

Lee Child sold out because he knew Cruise was completely wrong for the character but right for name recognition. There are plenty of people like me who have refused to see the films. Just a personal decision and a reaction to what many see as a poor casting choice.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sad and depressing? My choice to not see two movies? Wow. Didn't know my actions affected you so greatly. :shades:

I still enjoy the novels and the character of Jack Reacher whose considerable size plays a role in every novel.

Lee Child sold out because he knew Cruise was completely wrong for the character but right for name recognition. There are plenty of people like me who have refused to see the films. Just a personal decision and a reaction to what many see as a poor casting choice.
Except since you haven't seen the movie, how can you say it was a "poor" casting choice? I guess looks is all that matters because that's the only reason he was "completely wrong". Except upon seeing the film, most people said he did a great job as the character, regardless of how tall he was.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't get caught up in interpretations between characters on films and books that often. Mainly because I would rather have a good actor then someone who looks exactly the part. He does a good job as Reacher so unless you are counting looks only it really wasn't a bad casting decision at all.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get caught up in interpretations between characters on films and books that often. Mainly because I would rather have a good actor then someone who looks exactly the part. He does a good job as Reacher so unless you are counting looks only it really wasn't a bad casting decision at all.
I forgot he was tom cruise about 10 minutes into the movie.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Not entirely on point Brian.... Tom Cruise actually initiated Jack Reacher being brought to life on the big screen...he did this because he is a fan of the character and really wanted to play Reacher...the movie was Cruise's baby, and IMO they did full justice to Jack Reacher size not withstanding.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not entirely on point Brian.... Tom Cruise actually initiated Jack Reacher being brought to life on the big screen...he did this because he is a fan of the character and really wanted to play Reacher...the movie was Cruise's baby, and IMO they did full justice to Jack Reacher size not withstanding.

On point that it was Lee Child's decision to approve the deal.

I am not telling anyone else to skip the films. It is just my personal decision. My dad and step-mom who got me started reading the Reacher novels haven't seen the first and also have no interest in this one or any others. Same with several friends of ours who have also read the books.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I am not telling anyone else to skip the films. It is just my personal decision. My dad and step-mom who got me started reading the Reacher novels haven't seen the first and also have no interest in this one or any others. Same with several friends of ours who have also read the books.

I have never read the books myself... never really been into para military, spy novels, cop books..things like that... but watching the first movie has me a little interested in actually reading up on the character....partly because it was a great character, and partly to see why so many die hard book fans hate the idea of cruise playing him,lol.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time I tried to watch a movie of a book I read was the firm and I turned off the firm within 10 minutes. I dont blame people for skipping movies adapted from novels they have read.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The first time I tried to watch a movie of a book I read was the firm and I turned off the firm within 10 minutes. I dont blame people for skipping movies adapted from novels they have read.

I understand it, "The book is always better" is generally true....when you love a book it is based on how you individually interpret the writing....a movie is based on how someone else sees it....and is more restricted by time, ratings, etc..

ever read the Eragon books by Chris Paolini?.. great books... the movie they made was a disaster...the kid(Paolini) completely sold out... the movie was nothing like the books and you could tell many of the changes were due to budget... the movie on it's own is a fine little show about a boy hero with a dragon to ride..... but if you read the books it is obvious the author took the first deal that came his way so he could get paid...he had zero creative control and the studio did not have enough money to do the story justice.

on the flip side you have something like Game of Thrones....I loved the books and was stoked to see the series come along on hbo..... then something strange happened....for several characters I actually liked their version better than the version I had built in my mind. Which may be why I am willing to cut them some slack on errors and pacing since they made a couple of my favorite characters even better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well I hope you give it a shot because it seems like an empty stance to do it based on an opinion based sorely on how a person looks verses the books. Seems just to be a silly stance if that is the reason. The spirit of the character is there. Maybe someday.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand it, "The book is always better" is generally true....when you love a book it is based on how you individually interpret the writing....a movie is based on how someone else sees it....and is more restricted by time, ratings, etc..

ever read the Eragon books by Chris Paolini?.. great books... the movie they made was a disaster...the kid(Paolini) completely sold out... the movie was nothing like the books and you could tell many of the changes were due to budget... the movie on it's own is a fine little show about a boy hero with a dragon to ride..... but if you read the books it is obvious the author took the first deal that came his way so he could get paid...he had zero creative control and the studio did not have enough money to do the story justice.

on the flip side you have something like Game of Thrones....I loved the books and was stoked to see the series come along on hbo..... then something strange happened....for several characters I actually liked their version better than the version I had built in my mind. Which may be why I am willing to cut them some slack on errors and pacing since they made a couple of my favorite characters even better.

ive read like 4 novels in my time, im not much of a book person.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I understand why people that read the book wouldn't want to see the movie, or the new one coming out. I haven't read them, but from my understanding, Jack Reacher is something like 6'8 or 6'10 and built like a brick crap house. Sometimes looks and appearances don't matter when you cross over from page to screen, and sometimes they do. Could you cast Brad Pitt to play the Mountain in GoT? Would you cast Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) to play Tyrion? No, because it wouldn't work. I understand why this goes beyond mere annoyance for the book readers.

For my part, I enjoyed the movie. I only watched because it features my beloved 'Burgh, and I have to say that, beyond doing the 'Burgh great justice (I smile every time I pass that little side road that goes almost straight uphill), it was a decent movie. I don't know that I'll watch the second one in the theaters, but we'll see.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I hope you give it a shot because it seems like an empty stance to do it based on an opinion based sorely on how a person looks verses the books. Seems just to be a silly stance if that is the reason. The spirit of the character is there. Maybe someday.

It is not just "looks."

As far as appearances go, since you brought it up, Reacher is presented as unremarkable. Not ugly, but far from GQ or even handsome. He's just a huge rugged guy. Definitely not a pretty boy like Tom Cruise.

Reacher's size is a major part of who he is as a person. It shaped him you could say. He and his brother were both targeted by the other military brats when they were growing up because of their size. Several of the things Reacher does in the novels are based on his size. Child wrote the novels in such a way that Reacher IS 6'5 and 220-250 lbs. It is just who he is. He is physically imposing. He is NOT 5'7 and 170 lbs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not just "looks."

As far as appearances go, since you brought it up, Reacher is presented as unremarkable. Not ugly, but far from GQ or even handsome. He's just a huge rugged guy. Definitely not a pretty boy like Tom Cruise.

Reacher's size is a major part of who he is as a person. It shaped him you could say. He and his brother were both targeted by the other military brats when they were growing up because of their size. Several of the things Reacher does in the novels are based on his size. Child wrote the novels in such a way that Reacher IS 6'5 and 220-250 lbs. It is just who he is. He is physically imposing. He is NOT 5'7 and 170 lbs.

So it is just looks. Physical appearance is part of someones looks. Hey to each his own. Just saying I hope you give it a shot because he is Reacher...physical appearance or not.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've read all of the books and absolutely abhorred the idea of TC playing Jack Reacher. Talk about polar opposite of the character in the books. I wasn't going to see the movie but ended up watching it on Netflix or Amazon one night when sleep evaded me and I was bored. I had a hard time for the first few minutes but actually ended up rating it between "meh" and "ok" as a movie goes. TC is just NOT Reacher and the only way you can accept the movie, at least in my mind, is divorce it from the book almost completely.

I imagine the same scenario will occur with this one. Some late night insomnia will induce me to watch it and it will be "rinse and repeat" with this one :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read all of the books and absolutely abhorred the idea of TC playing Jack Reacher. Talk about polar opposite of the character in the books. I wasn't going to see the movie but ended up watching it on Netflix or Amazon one night when sleep evaded me and I was bored. I had a hard time for the first few minutes but actually ended up rating it between "meh" and "ok" as a movie goes. TC is just NOT Reacher and the only way you can accept the movie, at least in my mind, is divorce it from the book almost completely.

I imagine the same scenario will occur with this one. Some late night insomnia will induce me to watch it and it will be "rinse and repeat" with this one :)

Which is fine because they simply aren't the same thing. I never watch a movie and compare it to the book, I don't like headaches that much.

The movie was decent, not great IMO, but Cruise worked well in that role. And despite the oh so obvious physical differences, his character still felt like Reacher to me in most ways. It was poor casting regardless because Jack's personality and approach to problem solving is very much the result of his size but that's typical Hollywood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson