Jack Haley

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Another still young former basketball player just passed away. Jack Haley was 51. He's best known as Rodman's buddy but those of us that watched basketball back then surely remember him as a Rambis-like enforcer. Far too many former NBA players have passed recently, makes you wonder what's going on. RIP Jack.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It was reported that his autopsy attributed cause of death to heart disease.

Will his family ever know if it could have been prevented?

And whether the strenuous activity of preparing for and playing NBA basketball (and ultimately stepping back to varying degrees) put him at greater risk than non-athletes.

Of course any pro athlete, whether a star or marginal, is a celebrity whom we all hear about.

His risk might have been no less or more than the average person. We just wouldn't hear about the average person.

I wonder if any of our posters with exposure to heart disease have thoughts about whether preventive steps could have been taken.

Of course, our thoughts go out to his family at this time.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/haley-654533-nba-died.html

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was reported that his autopsy attributed cause of death to heart disease.

Will his family ever know if it could have been prevented?

And whether the strenuous activity of preparing for and playing NBA basketball (and ultimately stepping back to varying degrees) put him at greater risk than non-athletes.

Of course any pro athlete, whether a star or marginal, is a celebrity whom we all hear about.

His risk might have been no less or more than the average person. We just wouldn't hear about the average person.

I wonder if any of our posters with exposure to heart disease have thoughts about whether preventive steps could have been taken.

Of course, our thoughts go out to his family at this time.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/haley-654533-nba-died.html

You push a doorbell, you hear it ring, you have a pretty good idea what caused the noise. But things aren't always so clear in life. With heart failure there are just so many possible contributory factors it's difficult to point an accusing finger at one of them with any degree of surety. Sometimes the type of failure will tell you a lot but even still, there are questions.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite this odd ********* of youngish deaths I expect that the life expectancy of former NBA players is higher than the average Joe. But there are heart conditions associated with being abnormally tall. There is a lot more strain to pump blood around a nearly 7 foot body compared to the average 5'9" fella.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These recent deaths of younger ex-athletes makes me wonder about the intense training and running up and down the court these guys do for practice and 82 games. This recent study shows it could be bad for your health to overdo it and I wonder if the amount of training professional athletes do might be a contributing factor for some?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oggers-can-outlast-the-ironmen-over-long-term

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These recent deaths of younger ex-athletes makes me wonder about the intense training and running up and down the court these guys do for practice and 82 games. This recent study shows it could be bad for your health to overdo it and I wonder if the amount of training professional athletes do might be a contributing factor for some?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oggers-can-outlast-the-ironmen-over-long-term

Without pointing a finger at any one of these guys, I'd worry more about heavy cocaine use and possibly steroids.

Steve

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imo, athletes back then thought they could eat whatever they wanted as long as they stayed conditioned on the outside. Disregarding what was happening on the inside of their bodies. Maybe it was a lack of education or just ignorance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard