J.J. Arrington Starter

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cardinals | Arrington Definite No. 1
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:32:20 -0700

Kent Somers and Odeen Domingo, of the Arizona Republic, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/6/nfl">Arizona Cardinals RB J.J. Arrington has locked down the starting job for the season opener and there is very little that can be done to change that.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:

Kent Somers and Odeen Domingo, of the Arizona Republic, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/6/nfl">Arizona Cardinals RB J.J. Arrington has locked down the starting job for the season opener and there is very little that can be done to change that.

Good...

Lightning (J.J.) before thunder (Shipp) is more dangerous... :D

AZWILDKARD

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird98

FUMBLE!!! :biglaugh:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bet that this is "vote of confidence" deal where Green wants to make sure JJ doesn't get down on himself over the fumbles. I'm sure he's confident from practice that JJ is the #1 guy, he just wants to make sure JJ himself still is confident so he comes out and says this?

The comment from Adrian Wilson comparing JJ to Marshall Faulk caught me off guard(another article on this site) he probably hasn't seen him play a whole lot in college so that comment has got to be from camp and practices. So you get the impression that JJ has REALLY opened eyes in camp and that's why Green is willing to overlook the fumbles and slow start so far.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SoCal Cardfan said:
DG was gushing over Josh this time last year as well. :D

Not really he gushed over Josh before the draft and before camps because he needed to establish that taking Fitz over a QB was the right decision.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Not really he gushed over Josh before the draft and before camps because he needed to establish that taking Fitz over a QB was the right decision.

Russ,

I accept that this is your opinion, but I really have to disagree. Green wouldn't ever use a #3 overall pick on a QB and he wouldn't have had to justify it to either the Bidwill's or Graves.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Russ,

I accept that this is your opinion, but I really have to disagree. Green wouldn't ever use a #3 overall pick on a QB and he wouldn't have had to justify it to either the Bidwill's or Graves.

So if Warner and the QB's are awful this year and we end up with the 3rd pick or higher(god forbid), you think Green will pass on Leinart?

Green didn't say he didn't want a QB, he said that Fitz was the best player in the draft and he drafts on BPA, not by position.

Note, I'm not knocking it but if Green was as high on Josh as he said he was, like Culpepper, reminds you of Brett Favre etc, you don't think he would have given him more time before benching him for Shaun King and then for Navarre? You don't think he would have opened the offense up for him? You think you sign an aging Kurt Warner and hand him the starting job when you're that high on Josh?

My personal opinion is Green felt Josh had enough talent that Green's system and talent with QB's would get him to play well enough to get by. That didn't pan out, and you'll note Green hasn't compared Josh to any other QB's or touted his basketball prowess in months.

I guess what I'm saying is last year when I questioned that stuff I was told "DG knows QB's don't question DG" and now that Green has made it clear he's not all that high on Josh I'm supposed to NOT listen to DG? As Clif said all last year forget what DG says, pay attention to what he DOES. Per that is there any doubt Green's still really high on Josh McCown?

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So if Warner and the QB's are awful this year and we end up with the 3rd pick or higher(god forbid), you think Green will pass on Leinart?

Green didn't say he didn't want a QB, he said that Fitz was the best player in the draft and he drafts on BPA, not by position.

Note, I'm not knocking it but if Green was as high on Josh as he said he was, like Culpepper, reminds you of Brett Favre etc, you don't think he would have given him more time before benching him for Shaun King and then for Navarre? You don't think he would have opened the offense up for him? You think you sign an aging Kurt Warner and hand him the starting job when you're that high on Josh?

My personal opinion is Green felt Josh had enough talent that Green's system and talent with QB's would get him to play well enough to get by. That didn't pan out, and you'll note Green hasn't compared Josh to any other QB's or touted his basketball prowess in months.

I guess what I'm saying is last year when I questioned that stuff I was told "DG knows QB's don't question DG" and now that Green has made it clear he's not all that high on Josh I'm supposed to NOT listen to DG? As Clif said all last year forget what DG says, pay attention to what he DOES. Per that is there any doubt Green's still really high on Josh McCown?

Lets be honest, unless Lienhart goes out this year and just plain STINKS, or gets a career ending injury, only way he's a Cards is if we end up with the 1st pick in the draft, and lets been honest with SF and Tennesse out there this year in deep doo doo, what are the odds we end up #1?

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Dunno, rumblings about Leinart aren't as great as the average college fan would think. Questions about arm strength and arm health and the infamous "he's a product of the system" keep him from being the end all be all. Now, scouts' opinions can change, but many teams don't think he'd have been the first pick this year if he would have come out. Careful proclaiming him #1 yet. Lots of highly touted seniors become 4th rounders.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
Lets be honest, unless Lienhart goes out this year and just plain STINKS, or gets a career ending injury, only way he's a Cards is if we end up with the 1st pick in the draft, and lets been honest with SF and Tennesse out there this year in deep doo doo, what are the odds we end up #1?
sf aint taking a QB #1.

But we wont have a top ten pick IMO.

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:

Leinart will not be the number one pick. He should have come out this year. No way USC wins the title, and no way his stock is as high as it ws this past season.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too up or too down about JJ's status on the depth chart. My guess is that, each week (regardless of who's listed as starter) Dennis will insert the RB who gives him the best chance of winning at that point in time. Sometimes it will be Arrington. Sometimes it will be Shipp or even Redmond. And - if you believe MJ - we can expect to see both Arrington and Shipp in the same backfield quite a bit.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea because DG did this with Kurt and Elton and thus far they have performed well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn