Iupati 2 AZ?!?!

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Most of Mike Iupati's struggles with pass protection come from Colin Kaepernick's inability to get rid of the ball. With a classic pocket passer like Palmer, Iupati will do just fine. Add in a beefed up running game...

I really like this "signing". Definitely did not expect this.

LDL

Veteran
Reaction score
Where does Cooper go, RG, cuz if he can't grasp the mental aspect of LG I'm not so sure I would want him calling the schemes at Center. Not that that has any bearing on improving the talent on the O-Line, I just think that to pin any hopes on Cooper is false at this time. Hope the light bulb goes on soon, but on Cooper I am from Missouri.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
lol I've hated watching Darnell get smacked around by Iupati for years now. Game on Darnell.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a far cry from the recent past where we used to throw a dart at an old Steelers roster to find our next FA target. I love these reports, hope they become a reality soon.

Steve

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If we get Iupati after losing Dockett to SF I'll say we came out way on top on the exchange.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sweet. I was so sick of seeing the middle of our line get little to no push.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The league had a hissy fit over the leaked signing numbers. A memo was issued stressing that deals aren't allowed to be made "wink, wink" during the tampering period. The NFL wants the official start of free agency to be an event. That is why we aren't getting terms for the Iupati "signing".

Iupati wasn't high on my wish list due to his pass blocking issues. But he has gone to three straight Pro Bowls and was first team All Pro in 2012. At 27 he has a half a dozen prime years left in him. And of course, he is no longer a 49er. It's all good. :D

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Somers just tweeted that Cooper moves to Right Guard with this move

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Most of Mike Iupati's struggles with pass protection come from Colin Kaepernick's inability to get rid of the ball. With a classic pocket passer like Palmer, Iupati will do just fine. Add in a beefed up running game...

I really like this "signing". Definitely did not expect this.

Some of:

You must be registered for see images

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who was the center supposed to block there?

It looks like they for some reason have a slide right protection. That's why his first look is to the right side. When nothing comes up, he should come back in the other direction to help out on the all-out jailbreak on the overload. I know there's an RB coming around the other side, but jeebus.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Iupati and spoon were probably my top 2 targets

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It looks like they for some reason have a slide right protection. That's why his first look is to the right side. When nothing comes up, he should come back in the other direction to help out on the all-out jailbreak on the overload. I know there's an RB coming around the other side, but jeebus.

I'm not afraid to admit that I don't really understand line play. I saw the same thing you wrote, but wasn't totally sure. I keep looking at that gif and it looks like everybody got beat there. Insane pressure or awful OL play? sorry for derailing the thread.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not afraid to admit that I don't really understand line play. I saw the same thing you wrote, but wasn't totally sure. I keep looking at that gif and it looks like everybody got beat there. Insane pressure or awful OL play? sorry for derailing the thread.

Backs are supposed to pick up from the outside in. Hyde probably should've come out to help Iupati. But for as good as Iupati is, I saw Jonathan Cooper better handle combo blocks and pick up a stunting DE than Iupati did in that one-sample-size study.

That outside blizter is a defensive back.