"It's like Looney Tunes around here" - A Suns source reveals how chaotic the organization is under new owner Mat Ishbia

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Stars have been picked later in the draft than 20 and there’s no salary cap on the scouting department or coaching staff.

If Ishbia really wants to win, he’s got a pathway. We need to identify the Rudy Goberts, Jimmy Butlers, and Gilbert Arenas type players and develop them.
The problem is that James Jones seems diametrically opposed to doing anything like that. And worse, based on what we saw in the end of year presser, he seems to have convinced Ishbia that it's pointless to try and find and develop younger players. That's why we've been in a hole with investing in younger talent since Jones became the GM.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The problem is that James Jones seems diametrically opposed to doing anything like that. And worse, based on what we saw in the end of year presser, he seems to have convinced Ishbia that it's pointless to try and find and develop younger players. That's why we've been in a hole with investing in younger talent since Jones became the GM.

How many owners hold press conferences to announce nothing? That tells you everything you need to know about Ishbia’s involvement. He makes the decisions and wants to be heard/seen. I’m guessing they’re waiting to see if the Clippers extend Ty Lue or go their separate ways.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many owners hold press conferences to announce nothing? That tells you everything you need to know about Ishbia’s involvement. He makes the decisions and wants to be heard/seen. I’m guessing they’re waiting to see if the Clippers extend Ty Lue or go their separate ways.
Hire Lue, bring Harden home and call it a day…

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Supposedly the spin on that waste of time, was it was really to convince the players that they weren't going to tear everything down. However, couldn't that have been a team zoom meeting or something. I only came away from that seeing how our draft picks will be used as assets in a trade. We won't be using those in the draft.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind him being involved. It's his right. It's his team. He ultimately signs the checks. Now that doesn't mean he shouldn't listen to his front office. It's what they were hired to do. I don't buy that Ishbia made all the decisions and didn't consult his front office. I think the fact that rumors are he will be restructuring his front office likely means some advice or decisions that came out of the front office didn't work so he wants to change things up. I don't think this scenario is anything close to when Sarver made the entire front office a business for a time.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind him being involved. It's his right. It's his team. He ultimately signs the checks. Now that doesn't mean he shouldn't listen to his front office. It's what they were hired to do. I don't buy that Ishbia made all the decisions and didn't consult his front office. I think the fact that rumors are he will be restructuring his front office likely means some advice or decisions that came out of the front office didn't work so he wants to change things up. I don't think this scenario is anything close to when Sarver made the entire front office a business for a time.
Ishbia brought in bartelstein as ceo. How many times are CEO’s part of GMing decisions in the nba? I would almost think hardly ever. But seems like JJ isn’t the only cook now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ishbia brought in bartelstein as ceo. How many times are CEO’s part of GMing decisions in the nba? I would almost think hardly ever. But seems like JJ isn’t the only cook now.

As I understand it, Josh Bartelstein is heavily involved in player personnel finances, what contracts and trades work under the CBA.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As I understand it, Josh Bartelstein is heavily involved in player personnel finances, what contracts and trades work under the CBA.
I also think he's in charge of general things like stadium renovations, new HQ facilities, etc.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between Ish and his brother, they appear to be as hands on and controlling as Sarver was, maybe even more so. There's still a chance they aren't as arrogant or clueless as Robert was but I don't know how an owner can be more meddlesome than Ish & brother have been. The best thing we have going for us though is that, unlike Sarver, they are fully invested in winning.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Between Ish and his brother, they appear to be as hands on and controlling as Sarver was, maybe even more so. There's still a chance they aren't as arrogant or clueless as Robert was but I don't know how an owner can be more meddlesome than Ish & brother have been. The best thing we have going for us though is that, unlike Sarver, they are fully invested in winning.

And they know much more about basketball than Banker Bob did. Mat has a history with the sport, being a collegiate ball player. He has been friends with athletes and been one himself. Whether that helps him is anyone's guess but he's not just a rich guy with a hobby, he loves basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they know much more about basketball than Banker Bob did. Mat has a history with the sport, being a collegiate ball player. He has been friends with athletes and been one himself. Whether that helps him is anyone's guess but he's not just a rich guy with a hobby, he loves basketball.
Yeah, I know, but I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, James Jones and so many others also played college ball and they know a lot about the pro game too and I don't think I'd want any of them running this franchise (as GM, President or Owner).

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I heard Ishbia was in over his head so I’m not sure how much he really understood what he was getting into.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also think he's in charge of general things like stadium renovations, new HQ facilities, etc.

This is correct. I wanted to point out that Josh Bartelstein and James Jones jobs overlap when it comes to putting a team together contractually under the CBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, but I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, James Jones and so many others also played college ball and they know a lot about the pro game too and I don't think I'd want any of them running this franchise (as GM, President or Owner).

I can see that. I'd prefer to have an owner with some semblance of BB IQ vs none though. It doesn't always work well but I think knowing basketball should be a plus when looking to expand certain facets of the organization like scouting, development, team and player amenities. Sarver was the extreme from the business POV where he looked at the bottom line in regards to every little thing and where he could make or save a dollar. I believe Ishbia bought the team more as a hobby and wants to win. Unfortunately the new CBA has essentially stopped an owner from being able to buy a competitive team but if he's willing to invest elsewhere we could have a competitive franchise.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can see that. I'd prefer to have an owner with some semblance of BB IQ vs none though. It doesn't always work well but I think knowing basketball should be a plus when looking to expand certain facets of the organization like scouting, development, team and player amenities. Sarver was the extreme from the business POV where he looked at the bottom line in regards to every little thing and where he could make or save a dollar. I believe Ishbia bought the team more as a hobby and wants to win. Unfortunately the new CBA has essentially stopped an owner from being able to buy a competitive team but if he's willing to invest elsewhere we could have a competitive franchise.
I read an article a long time ago when Cuban was luring good free agents to Dallas. At that time owners weren't necessarily putting players up in the best hotels. Cuban put his guys in five star resorts on the road, gave his players the best prelims, brought in the best chiefs for team meals, and much was made about how he modified the team jet for 7 foot bodies. He pushes the edge on those type of things so when he can only match a player contract, his players are telling the new player, hey you really want to come here, it's the best! I am sure Ishbia can do these things.

Side note, he is already pushing the envelope in the WNBA by giving them the first ever training facilities dedicated to WNBA players. I am sure he was an influence behind the scenes on the Mercury's push lead by Brittany Grinner to get the ladies charter flights from now on, that was just announced by the WNBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I read an article a long time ago when Cuban was luring good free agents to Dallas. At that time owners weren't necessarily putting players up in the best hotels. Cuban put his guys in five star resorts on the road, gave his players the best prelims, brought in the best chiefs for team meals, and much was made about how he modified the team jet for 7 foot bodies. He pushes the edge on those type of things so when he can only match a player contract, his players are telling the new player, hey you really want to come here, it's the best! I am sure Ishbia can do these things.

Side note, he is already pushing the envelope in the WNBA by giving them the first ever training facilities dedicated to WNBA players. I am sure he was an influence behind the scenes on the Mercury's push lead by Brittany Grinner to get the ladies charter flights from now on, that was just announced by the WNBA.
Yup he’s willing to spend where he’s allowed. Isn’t the mercury head coach the highest paid head coach in wnba even though he’s never been a head coach anywhere?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Danny Ainge hasn't been bad. Larry Bird was decent. Heinson was good, too. Maybe you just take former Celtics?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He was head coach for Sioux Falls Skyforce and Tulsa 66ers, both with winning records and reaching the playoffs. He has had very good NBA assistant coach jobs. He's been around the NBA for years. His dad was a legendary girls high school basketball coach. That's kind of the tie in he has to the women's game. We will see, but he can't be worse than Nygard. I was REALLY disappointed in her.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Tibbetts' hiring is another significant hire for the Mercury after owner Mat Ishbia lured Nick U'Ren from the Golden State Warriors to become general manager. Ishbia tasked U'Ren and CEO Josh Bartelstein with the coaching search that lands Tibbetts with the Mercury now.

Phoenix recently announced plans to build a modern, dedicated practice facility as part of a new $100 million investment. The Mercury finished with the WNBA's worst record this season at 9-31.

There's nowhere for the Mercury to go but up. Ishbia will have an easier time making Mercury fans happy.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
New excited owner not gonna read much into this. This offseason will say a lot let’s see what moves they make to try and fix this thing. If you just spent billions sure you would want to be involved, but he’s not a stupid guy so if he brings in the right people to run things it will be fine. JJ had options and built it incorrectly, ignoring a PG and length ultimately killed us. Vogel is just a moron and should 100% be shown the door imo!
It maybe a long term valuable lesson, which has cost a LOT of $ (his own) but also cost a lot of assets for a long time. At least this guy is willing to pay to get out of this jam is my expectation. Dude needs to fix it asap, looks like the Cards finally got a real GM and loads of praise the last 2 years with draft and team building. The big 3 is a big joke, great teams are built thru the draft not bought. The Dodgers are a great example of this, they have 1 ring in 36 years with a big fat asterisk being won in 2020 as the only one