It's all about the stud WR

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to mention Murray did hit Green before the pick 6 and the idiot dropped it, lots of drops from this crappy group of receivers when Dhop wasn’t drawing coverage away from everyone! We need a real Oline and at the very least another legit receiver. Our depth was exposed when we lost a few players and everything fell apart!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not true. I've given Keim the benefit of the doubt because I still blame VJ more than Keim for Simmons & Collins. But, bottom line, when you draft a stud QB, it's the GM's responsibility to build around him. For whatever reasons being, and there are many, that's not getting done. I firmly believe VJ has to go ASAP. And KK/SK are on very short leashes.
So to be a stud QB you need studs all around you? QBs can't elevate the players around them? You've just defined the opposite of a stud QB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If you thought Murray had PLENTY of time to find slow WR’s that can’t create separation, then you couldn’t be more wrong. And furthermore, you completely missed my point. Didn’t the Niners win even though their offense started off with 4 straight three and outs? Is that opportunity EVER been afforded to Murray. NO. Because our D can’t stop anyone. Murray has to be GREAT on every series, every half, every game for haters like you. NO QB can win when you have the VJ D, the WR’s, the beat up RB’s, the beat up CB’s, and the musical chairs OL that Murray had to deal with the ENTIRE 2nd half of the season. Top to bottom, this is a crappy organization. Murray is one of only a few bright spots here. Try to appreciate him while he’s here. Because if he ever decides to go elsewhere, you’ll be miserable.
You're going to seriously pretend--yes, pretend, because we're in fantasy land--that KM bears no responsibility for the late-season collapse and the playoff debacle? SERIOUSLY?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to be a stud QB you need studs all around you? QBs can't elevate the players around them? You've just defined the opposite of a stud QB.
This. Great QB's have made mediocre receivers look great. I am sure someone could make a list of receivers that left playing alongside great QB's and didn't do much in their new destination. Kyler made really bad reads, missed open guys, threw ill-advised passes in the back half of last season and this season. That's not on the coaches. That's not on missing a stud WR. Not putting all the blame on Kyler but he is not playing like a player living up to his draft position in year 3 (and now in the playoffs). In fact, playing 50/50 ball with Dhop and letting him do all the work says more about Dhop than Kyler.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
My point on the thread is that you need one stud WR. Sure, if you draft well, you can afford that stud by have a revolving door around him to give the QB options, but in this day and age you need 'that guy' and the Cards have him and he got injured. Of course you have to have the basic foundation for him which is a competent QB to feed him (if not like the Niners, you hand the ball off to him haha) and a good center (I say center now because that guy facing all these exotic spread out defenses is the core of protecting that QB). When I say you need a stud WR, I am talking about a offense capable of winning at the big dance

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely. The argument I'm refuting is you HAVE to have studs around you to be a stud QB.
Lol it sure as hell helps as they actually catch the balls instead of drop them. Tired of seeing WRs on other teams make outstanding catches on poorly thrown balls to help their QB and our guys drop ones right in their hands it’s absurd!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol it sure as hell helps as they actually catch the balls instead of drop them. Tired of seeing WRs on other teams make outstanding catches on poorly thrown balls to help their QB and our guys drop ones right in their hands it’s absurd!
Dropping and getting no separation
I think all we know speed isn't our strenght in both side of the ball

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Are you really going to compare the situation Murray has in AZ with what Mahomes has in KC? Murray lost in ONE college playoff game & one NFL playoff game. Long ways to go. Mahomes never sniffed a college playoff game. Oh that’s right. He didn’t play for a team that had enough talent around him to really make a difference.
I am sorry but Gabe Davis put up 549 yards in the regular season. Byron Pringle put up 568 yards. Trying to say that they are significantly better players than AJ Green and Christian Kirk is silly. Zach Ertz is limited but also way better than Dawson Knox. James Conner and Chase Edmonds are both better than KC and Buff RBs.

and to try and excuse Kyler's historically bad playoff game vs LA is funny.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Dropping and getting no separation
I think all we know speed isn't our strenght in both side of the ball
The problem for the most part is that unless you are playing a Vance Joseph soft zone defense, you are not going to have apparent open guys and you are not going to get obvious separation. I do not know if Green not turning around against Green Bay affected his mindset or not, but after that game the dude seemed to revert to standard Big XII play and only throwing the ball late when a guy was open which will not happen much in this league. You have to throw guys open, that ball has to be in the air while that receiver is making their final moves to get the drop on a defender which is not privy to the route. Kyler sitting back there on the rim of the pocket and holding the ball will seldom present a open guy, unless he starts rolling out to change the coverage dynamics, and often will get him sacked as the tackle naturally pushes his man around that implied pocket... there were a lot of sacks coming from the outside this year which were not DJ or Beachum's fault because Kyler would not step up and use the space the tackles are providing him

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There's no doubt that having better receivers helps a QB play better. That's common sense. A quarterback also can play at an elite level without elite WR's.

Nobody should be excusing Kyler's play but that pick 6 don't happen if AJ Green doesn't drop a bunny on the play before. Or Christian Kirk calls a fair catch at the 12 instead of letting the ball bounce to the goal line two plays before. That we have the worst WR corp in the NFL outside of DHop falls on Bluto not Kyler.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry but Gabe Davis put up 549 yards in the regular season. Byron Pringle put up 568 yards. Trying to say that they are significantly better players than AJ Green and Christian Kirk is silly. Zach Ertz is limited but also way better than Dawson Knox. James Conner and Chase Edmonds are both better than KC and Buff RBs.

Gabe Davis also just had the single greatest performance by a receiver in postseason history.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I dunno ... Joe Burrow was sacked 9 times and found a way to win :shrug:
Lol and Joe Burrows weapons are Chase, Higgins and Boyd. All better than anyone we had out on the field against the Rams.. all big time separation guys. I’d even argue at this point in his career CJ O is equivalent to Ertz.

Oh.. and Zac Taylor play calling makes Kliffy look like he should retire from the NFL.

That said -fully admit Joey B is superior than Kyler today. So they are better on all 3 levels here.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yea, I don’t think this should be said with confidence today & especially going forward.
Not to argue the same point on multiple threads but this is where the WR room impacts the TE. Knox runs wide open over the middle because of the vertical element of the Buffalo offense. Losing Hopkins probably hurt Ertz the most.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Gabe Davis also just had the single greatest performance by a receiver in postseason history.
That is where a great QB elevates players. The Chiefs rolling coverage to Diggs gave Davis one on one opportunities and Allen didn't miss him. I have seen Murray miss Kirk in similar situations.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. Great QB's have made mediocre receivers look great. I am sure someone could make a list of receivers that left playing alongside great QB's and didn't do much in their new destination. Kyler made really bad reads, missed open guys, threw ill-advised passes in the back half of last season and this season. That's not on the coaches. That's not on missing a stud WR. Not putting all the blame on Kyler but he is not playing like a player living up to his draft position in year 3 (and now in the playoffs). In fact, playing 50/50 ball with Dhop and letting him do all the work says more about Dhop than Kyler.
Really - Did Brady make his recievers look great on Sunday?

To me it looked like he couldn't overcome the loss of Brown and Godwin.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The issue is we had no #1 to draw defenses to.

And to say Gabe Davis is not superior to AJ Green to me says you are blind. AJ Green isn't half the reciever Davis looked like yesterday.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Not true. I've given Keim the benefit of the doubt because I still blame VJ more than Keim for Simmons & Collins. But, bottom line, when you draft a stud QB, it's the GM's responsibility to build around him. For whatever reasons being, and there are many, that's not getting done. I firmly believe VJ has to go ASAP. And KK/SK are on very short leashes.
I’m in your camp. First move is DC. Maybe they are waiting until his opportunity to land the Miami job. Never looks good to get fired while your trying to interview for another position elsewhere. That being said, I wouldn’t care - a lot of fired coaches are interviewing for other positions. No action by the team makes me feel we are in the same boat next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many threads so I will put this here. Some a hole broke a window at work today so I had to have a vendor come out and board it up while waiting for a quote to replace the window. I had my cards mask on, he asked me how I became a Cards fan etc and we started talking. He's a big 49ers fan, his son in law apparently used to be on the 49er staff and now works at Stanford, I didn't ask the name. He said you guys are going to be good that guy Murray is special. So I said well I hope he is but he sure didn't finish well. He said well all I know is my son in law said lots of NFL people he knows like Murray, there was considerable unhappiness when it became clear the Cards were drafting Murray and trading Rosen, several NFL teams were hoping we'd take Bosa and or trade the pick because they wanted Murray.

I honestly don't remember that talk at all I was fairly surprised to hear teams were trying to move up to get Kyler from us? I remember thinking we might be the only team that him projected #1 overall because of Kliff but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

And again he may have been wrong never met the guy before in my life. And he was talking out of college not now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard