Is too early to start Clayton Tune?

Too early for Tune to start?

• Total voters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An ok job of protecting the ball? He basically took no chances and STILL turned it over twice, while almost getting picked twice.

If you're going to go with the ultra conservative option, the least they can do is avoid turnovers, right?
So much this.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
An ok job of protecting the ball? He basically took no chances and STILL turned it over twice, while almost getting picked twice.

If you're going to go with the ultra conservative option, the least they can do is avoid turnovers, right?
Almost getting picked is not, in fact, getting picked. Dunno what happened on the snap exchange -- but Dobbs needs to jump right on that ball not scoop it up and try to make something happen.

I think compared to a rookie QB, he did a better job avoiding turnovers. We'll never know, but he didn't seem to be overestimating his ability to throw through tight windows, which is what you worry about.

We'll never know from last week, but we'll know more soon. The Tune is not yet written.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Dobbs but the fumbles will cost you your job. Warner had a spell for a few years but starting your career as a fumbling machine? Unfortunately won't be corrected.
I'm hoping, really hoping, that the weather contributed to the fumbles.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think compared to a rookie QB, he did a better job avoiding turnovers.
I'm impressed you can glean a difference between the two - two turnovers while being super conservative negates all the value of putting out an "experienced" starter.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm impressed you can glean a difference between the two - two turnovers while being super conservative negates all the value of putting out an "experienced" starter.
Was there something that Clayton Tune would've done to avoid the fumbles yesterday?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Was there something that Clayton Tune would've done to avoid the fumbles yesterday?
We can play the counterfactual game all day - all we can judge is the QB like substance that was put on the field, and it wasn't so great!

9 points put up by any QB is terrible - the Dobbs experiment in week 1 was bad. There is little to indicate that he'll ever be anything more than he is.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You don't trade a 5th for a guy 17 days before the season starts because Tune is showing you things you like in practice...

Was it about Tune or McCoy tho?

Tune seemed to be destined for the #2 role with Kyler out. I don't think they wanted to change that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We can play the counterfactual game all day - all we can judge is the QB like substance that was put on the field, and it wasn't so great!

9 points put up by any QB is terrible - the Dobbs experiment in week 1 was bad. There is little to indicate that he'll ever be anything more than he is.
I agree -- Dobbs sucks!

But I don't have enough information to decide whether Tune would have performed better. None of us do. The coaching staff has TONS more data from the practice field and the meeting room. Based on their greater information base -- and with their professional reputations on the line -- they chose Josh Dobbs. Who sucks! Who'd been with the team for like two weeks!

Tune must've looked pretty bad in practice.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I guess the better comparison to Dobbs is Blough - what made the brass think a fifth and Dobbs was better than Blough? They're basically the spiderman meme at this point.
That's the real question. Or Driskoll. Maybe they all looked like hot garbage.

I think Michael Bidwill needed to be convinced to eat the salary of Colt McCoy. That created pressure to get someone different/better in and ramp them up quickly.

FWIW, now that Week 1 is over, I wouldn't be surprised to see McCoy land somewhere soon. Veteran contracts are now non-guaranteed. I wouldn't be shocked to see Corey Clement come back, either.

I wonder if Blough just wasn't seen as a good culture fit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It felt like the offense was going to have a burst and it didn't happen. Not sure you jump to Tune after one game though.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"We all sing the Tune
Always need that backup QB soon
Everyone will realize it was just a looney tune
but doesn't stop them from dreaming at high noon.

Fa la la, la la la, la, la, la, la..

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"We all sing the Tune
Always need that backup QB soon
Everyone will realize it was just a looney tune
but doesn't stop them from dreaming at high noon.

Fa la la, la la la, la, la, la, la..
Suggest you change the end of the fourth line to, "Howling at the moon." :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't trade a 5th for a guy 17 days before the season starts because Tune is showing you things you like in practice...

I agree, you also don’t trade a 5th for a player like Dobbs.

It was desperation.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read so MANY posts about how we were going to be killed, and while losing we were far from being killed, despite what all the 'experts' posted. Dobbs gave us a chance to win (until he turned it over a couple of times). So, I think he was the correct choice to start, last week AND this week.
Tune gives us hope, and everybody loves the backup QB. If the offense, meaning Dobbs, continues to struggle against a desperate Giants team, I hope Tune gets the start in the Dallas game. And, we'll have two games to compare Tune and Dobbs, before Kyler returns for Game Five. Which we all know he will. Of course we all knew that we would lose big to Washington.
The defense gave us a chance to win. Not Dobbs and the offense. If we can’t win after a defensive performance like that don’t know what to say. Dobbs was just bad.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The defense gave us a chance to win. Not Dobbs and the offense. If we can’t win after a defensive performance like that don’t know what to say. Dobbs was just bad.
No doubt he had a bad game, but for much of the game he didn't turn the ball over and that kept us in the game. And in fact we had the lead, I believe going into the fourth quarter, though I'm not sure. Much better than what most of the Board thought would happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard