Is too early to start Clayton Tune?

Too early for Tune to start?

• Total voters

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Much better than what most of the Board thought would happen.
People keep asserting this without evidence!

People thought we would lose, and that’s because we’re not very good and Washington is stronger than our strength and at home with a more experienced staff. But the majority of people on this board were expecting the competitive game we actually received.

Very few if anyone thought that Sam Howell was going to hang like 30 points on the Cardinals.

Don’t feel great about next week tho.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The problem with Dobbs is he’s just pointless. He’s not a part of the future and presently, he’s still one of the worst QBs in football.

I get not throwing a 5th round rook right to the wolves immediately, but if Dobbs continues to be abysmal, you’ve got to start looking at a guy you actually drafted sooner rather than later.
I'm not buying that Blough is a worse option than both Dobbs and Tune.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They sit high pick rookies they don't want to ruin early because they see them as future QBOTF and they already have a better vet option.

There's no reason to sit Tune if he's any good. His future here is backup, there's nothing to ruin. There's no expectation on his to be a future starter here. If anything it's in your interest to start him if he's any good in the hope someone sees a trade option there when Kyler is back.

No reason at all to sit Tune other than he just hasn't been good enough. Which is fine, he's a 5th round guy that everyone would expect to take some time to adjust.
Excellent analysis.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No doubt he had a bad game, but for much of the game he didn't turn the ball over and that kept us in the game. And in fact we had the lead, I believe going into the fourth quarter, though I'm not sure. Much better than what most of the Board thought would happen.
We had the lead thanks to the D. Dobbs fumbles and inability to throw downfield cost us the game.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"We all sing the Tune
Always need that backup QB soon
Everyone will realize it was just a looney tune
but doesn't stop them from dreaming at high noon.

Fa la la, la la la, la, la, la, la..

I don't know if you were going for the Beatles, but made me think of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hey Tune, don't throw it bad.
Take a sad offense and make it better.
Remember to throw it very hard,
Then you can start to make it better.

Hey Tune, don't be afraid.
You were made to go out and throw her.
The play you throw her under their safety,
Then you begin to make it better.

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Tune, refrain,
Don't carry the Cards upon your shoulders.
For well you know that it's a two who plays the fool
By not handing it off when the weather is colder.

Hey Tune don't let me down.
You have thrown it, just where they can catch it
Remember to lead them in their routes
Then you can start to score it better.

Sling it out and sling it in, hey Tune, begin,
You're waiting for a WR to perform with.
And don't you know it's just until Kyler, hey Tune, you'll do,
The movement you need is in your shoulder.

Hey Jude, don't throw it bad.
Take a sad offense and make it better.
Remember to throw it very hard,
Then you'll start to make it
Better better better better better better, oh.

Yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey, Tune
(Tune, Tuney, Tuney, Tuney, Tuney, Tuney, ow wow)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People keep asserting this without evidence!

People thought we would lose, and that’s because we’re not very good and Washington is stronger than our strength and at home with a more experienced staff. But the majority of people on this board were expecting the competitive game we actually received.

Very few if anyone thought that Sam Howell was going to hang like 30 points on the Cardinals.

Don’t feel great about next week tho.

What?

This board has been 5 months of how trash this team is going to be, we're tanking, were going to pick #1, we might go 0-17 and various other takes how we might be the worst Card team of all time.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What?

This board has been 5 months of how trash this team is going to be, we're talking, were going to pick #1, we might go 0-17 and various other takes how we might be the worst Card team of all time.

Yeah... nothing about that game changes my outlook.

2-15 is our most likely outcome. We had several huge breaks go our way against one of the worst teams in the league and we still managed to lose the game.

We are still the heavy favorite to pick #1 and rightfully so.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What?

This board has been 5 months of how trash this team is going to be, we're talking, were going to pick #1, we might go 0-17 and various other takes how we might be the worst Card team of all time.
Okay, but the same consensus was that this game was our best opportunity to get a win in the first month of the season.

Again, where are the posts from people predicting we were going to lose this game by three scores?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, but the same consensus was that this game was our best opportunity to get a win in the first month of the season.

Again, where are the posts from people predicting we were going to lose this game by three scores?
Right. I thought about betting the farm on Washington to cover, but held off. You never know in games like this, especially in week 1.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting Tune agains the Giants would have been a much better move than holding off again for Dobbs. Cards next two opponents are the Cowboys and 49ers. They will have a field day against our porous OL. No way should we start Tune against them in my opinion.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Starting Tune agains the Giants would have been a much better move than holding off again for Dobbs. Cards next two opens are the Cowboys and 49ers. They will have a field day against our porous OL. No way should we start Tune against them in my opinion.
Could be the coaches were expecting more from captain doobie. Now the coaches will wait until after the 49ers game before Tune’s first start.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Dobbs is horrible again this week, the decision moving forward will say a lot about the coaching staff/GM. Benching him means being willing to admit they had an absolutely atrocious plan at QB this season… which is a bit of double-edged sword. On the one hand, it would show their ability to admit incredible fault for the plan at the position… on the other it would show just how clueless they were both going into the season and even worse doubling down on a terrible plan by trading for a terrible QB once the initial plan failed. But at least, they can show they can shift after two cracks at a rotten apple.

If Dobbs is awful again and they triple down and do nothing, that’s more concerning to me moving forward.

Continuing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Dobbs is horrible again this week, the decision moving forward will say a lot about the coaching staff/GM. Benching him means being willing to admit they had an absolutely atrocious plan at QB this season… which is a bit of double-edged sword. On the one hand, it would show their ability to admit incredible fault for the plan at the position… on the other it would show just how clueless they were both going into the season and even worse doubling down on a terrible plan by trading for a terrible QB once the initial plan failed. But at least, they can show they can shift after two cracks at a rotten apple.

If Dobbs is awful again and they triple down and do nothing, that’s more concerning to me moving forward.

Continuing
We can't have Tune's first start be against Dallas or Frisco

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dobbs is the sacrificial lamb this year. It’s why we traded for him.
Yeah… the more I think about it, he would have to be one of the biggest abominations of all time to lose his job any time soon.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Dobbs is the sacrificial lamb this year. It’s why we traded for him.
I'm starting to think - and I hope Florio isn't reading this lol - that Dobbs was unknowingly brought in to guarantee our first L against Washington to start us off right on that tank track

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah... nothing about that game changes my outlook.

2-15 is our most likely outcome. We had several huge breaks go our way against one of the worst teams in the league and we still managed to lose the game.

We are still the heavy favorite to pick #1 and rightfully so.

Washington was 8-8-1 in the most brutal division last year. You weren't surprised our defense played a great game? Personally I was expecting the Cards to look horrible in every aspect. Especially considering it was an early East Coast game(which historically we are often awful) , brand new coaching staff and a not very good starting QB on the team for two weeks.

Perhaps I'm in the minority that expected the Cards to lose the game by a minimum of two scores even against a very mediocre 8-8 Washington team on the road. I wasn't aware so many of you who have called this the worst Cardinal roster in the history of the franchise also believed they were going to be super competitive on the road against Washington.

It is a shame Kyler is hurt because we probably would be have easily beat Washington and perhaps the outlook for the team would look far more optimistic than many of us expected.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Washington was 8-8-1 in the most brutal division last year. You weren't surprised our defense played a great game? Personally I was expecting the Cards to look horrible in every aspect. Especially considering it was an early East Coast game(which historically we are often awful) , brand new coaching staff and a not very good starting QB on the team for two weeks.

Perhaps I'm in the minority that expected the Cards to lose the game by a minimum of two scores even against a very mediocre 8-8 Washington team on the road. I wasn't aware so many of you who have called this the worst Cardinal roster in the history of the franchise also believed they were going to be super competitive on the road against Washington.

It is a shame Kyler is hurt because we probably would be have easily beat Washington and perhaps the outlook for the team would look far more optimistic than many of us expected.

The defense did play very well but Washington's offense is trash, Sam Howell has no business as a starter. They're a LOT worse than they were last year.

If you'd told me that, against a team as bad as Washington is probably going to be, that we'd win the turnover battle and scored on defense... I'd think we probably would have gotten one of our 2 wins on the season. But we didn't... we still managed to lose, because our offense is a disaster and, despite playing a good game overall, the defense couldn't get stops when it mattered.

As good as our defense played (against a terrible offense) our offense played far worse.

I do agree that, with Kyler, we probably win that game. However, without Kyler it's hard to see us beating anyone and are they really going to risk playing him behind that o-line if we're 0-9 when he's finally ready to play?

That will be a tough call.