Is too early to start Clayton Tune?

Too early for Tune to start?

• Total voters

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Tune is not ready! Or he would be starting. I bet the only way he starts is if Dobbs plays horrible…And he didn’t…no Ints. Dobbs is not great and is not expected to be. He will get better and more in sync. Wash
D front is one of the best even without Chase Young.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If you average 4.4 yards per completion theoretically it means you complete half your passes for less than 4.4 ypc

I don't think some understand just how bad that is so I had the graphics department whip up a little something up so we can put it to scale

2022 NFL team average yards per completion as compared to Josh Dobbs today:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you average 4.4 yards per completion theoretically it means you complete half your passes for less than 4.4 ypc

I don't think some understand just how bad that is so I had the graphics department whip up a little something up so we can put it to scale

Bryce Young averaged less per pass than Dobbs...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You stay playing Dobbs until he screws up by winning a game. He's doing exactly what's needed right now. Let the other guys play hard while keeping the tank in place.
When you're running a less effective offense than with Blough at the helm, you're probably not going to have a good time!

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Dobbs McCoy

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, we didn't have the ball twice down by 1 and 4 respectively in the 4th quarter? Ertz didn't drop a TD pass and a key 1st down? You disagree with all of that? And I'm not sure how many players survive the way the pocket collapsed on one of those fumbles.

He played good enough to give us a chance win.
WE also had 2 penalties for illegal man downfield which denied us big plays. The 2nd one late in the 4th quarter on Will Hernandez took away a nice gainer by Swaim that would have put us in WA territory. I know it's a timing issue, but they were both great calls by Petzing that were just back breakers.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Tune will be here next year. Dobbs will not. The only way the kid is going to adapt to NFL speed is by playing games in the NFL. He is not ready, but neither is Dobbs and he has been around for 6 years.

This is why I despise tanking. Creating this illusion that we are trying to be competitive while everything we have done for the past 7 months tells a different story. We have nothing to lose by starting Tune.

He sucks, we lose=Cardinals win
The kid is legit and is a NFL QB=Cardinals win.

Start the kid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not as assumption. Teams don't sit the better performing QB.

Circumstantially, I think teams will absolutely make a choice based on experience and familiarity over talent.

Not wanting to throw a 5th round pick to the wolves, Petzing trying to find a player with any familiarity to his offense, Petzing not recognizing that a blanket lack of talent on offense is the more serious problem than QB play... and Petzing being extremely inexperienced.

Dobbs sucks, he's sucked his whole career, Dobbs has no performance, even when he was with Petzing in Cleveland he never saw the field.

The offense was trash in the preseason, Petzing was desperate for a quick solution and pushed for Dobbs... after you made the trade because he was the guy who knew the offense you can't not play him. But Dobbs was never the answer, he just sucks. He might be smart as a whip but his arm sucks, he holds onto the ball too long and he isn't a scrambler either. He's just a run of the mill bad QB. I don't think familiarity is the problem, he's just a bad QB clinging onto an NFL career.

If Tune actually is significantly worse than Dobbs... then it's sad, because it means we wasted a pick on Tune and in turn wasted a pick on Dobbs.

Soon enough though, we'll see Tune. Probably in the 2nd half of the next game.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I read so MANY posts about how we were going to be killed, and while losing we were far from being killed, despite what all the 'experts' posted. Dobbs gave us a chance to win (until he turned it over a couple of times). So, I think he was the correct choice to start, last week AND this week.
Tune gives us hope, and everybody loves the backup QB. If the offense, meaning Dobbs, continues to struggle against a desperate Giants team, I hope Tune gets the start in the Dallas game. And, we'll have two games to compare Tune and Dobbs, before Kyler returns for Game Five. Which we all know he will. Of course we all knew that we would lose big to Washington.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know who should start at qb and if it really will make any difference. The Cards have a bad offense and the OL did not do a good job at protecting the qb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Circumstantially, I think teams will absolutely make a choice based on experience and familiarity over talent.
That’s not what @BritCard said tho. He said performance in practice.

I’m agnostic on whether Tune is more talented than Josh Dobbs. I think the difference is negligible, but that doesn’t matter.

I think that Dobbs short-perm performance in practices made it obvious who the Week 1 starter is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not wanting to throw a 5th round pick to the wolves, Petzing trying to find a player with any familiarity to his offense, Petzing not recognizing that a blanket lack of talent on offense is the more serious problem than QB play... and Petzing being extremely inexperienced.

Dobbs sucks, he's sucked his whole career, Dobbs has no performance, even when he was with Petzing in Cleveland he never saw the field.

The offense was trash in the preseason, Petzing was desperate for a quick solution and pushed for Dobbs... after you made the trade because he was the guy who knew the offense you can't not play him. But Dobbs was never the answer, he just sucks. He might be smart as a whip but his arm sucks, he holds onto the ball too long and he isn't a scrambler either. He's just a run of the mill bad QB. I don't think familiarity is the problem, he's just a bad QB clinging onto an NFL career.

If Tune actually is significantly worse than Dobbs... then it's sad, because it means we wasted a pick on Tune and in turn wasted a pick on Dobbs.

Soon enough though, we'll see Tune. Probably in the 2nd half of the next game.

You don't trade a 5th for a guy 17 days before the season starts because Tune is showing you things you like in practice...

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the qb choice is:

on-time but inaccurate (Dobbs)

vs

late but accurate (Tune)
I think you’re being kind to Dobbs. He was very late with his timing. Exactly why we had 2 back breaking illegal man downfield penalties, the 2nd of which ended our last chance to win that game. Yes, the WA D is very good, but Dobbs seemed WAY out of sync in that offense.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Actually they do when it's a rookie. Reports were Mahomes was wowing in practice his first year and way outperforming Alex Smith. But Smith started because he knew the offense better and Reid didn't think Mahomes was ready.

As for the Cards, I don't really care what QB starts. They both will stink and can't see why anyone is surprised by Dobbs lack of ability. It's been known for about 7 years that he can't play.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually they do when it's a rookie. Reports were Mahomes was wowing in practice his first year and way outperforming Alex Smith. But Smith started because he knew the offense better and Reid didn't think Mahomes was ready.

As for the Cards, I don't really care what QB starts. They both will stink and can't see why anyone is surprised by Dobbs lack of ability. It's been known for about 7 years that he can't play.

They sit high pick rookies they don't want to ruin early because they see them as future QBOTF and they already have a better vet option.

There's no reason to sit Tune if he's any good. His future here is backup, there's nothing to ruin. There's no expectation on his to be a future starter here. If anything it's in your interest to start him if he's any good in the hope someone sees a trade option there when Kyler is back.

No reason at all to sit Tune other than he just hasn't been good enough. Which is fine, he's a 5th round guy that everyone would expect to take some time to adjust.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

They sit high pick rookies they don't want to ruin early because they see them as future QBOTF and they already have a better vet option.

There's no reason to sit Tune if he's any good. His future here is backup, there's nothing to ruin. There's no expectation on his to be a future starter here. If anything it's in your interest to start him if he's any good in the hope someone sees a trade option there when Kyler is back.

No reason at all to sit Tune other than he just hasn't been good enough. Which is fine, he's a 5th round guy that everyone would expect to take some time to adjust.
I was just responding to your assertation.
Didn't sound like you had any conditions to your comment.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Dobbs but the fumbles will cost you your job. Warner had a spell for a few years but starting your career as a fumbling machine? Unfortunately won't be corrected.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Dobbs did an okay job protecting the ball. Didn’t throw any INTs or handled the ball like a loaf of bread.
An ok job of protecting the ball? He basically took no chances and STILL turned it over twice, while almost getting picked twice.

If you're going to go with the ultra conservative option, the least they can do is avoid turnovers, right?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort