Is this the end of the New England Patriots' dynasty?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Is this the end of the New England Patriots' dynasty? How we got here, what's next, why it's not an easy fix

The Patriots haven't gotten much out of their top draft picks. Belichick continues to trade down and add extra picks, and those selections have continued to deliver talent. In the first two rounds of the draft, though, they would expect to select the sort of stars they can't typically find in the later rounds. Between 2007 and 2013, those top two rounds delivered Jerod Mayo, Chung, Devin McCourty, Gronk, Nate Solder, Chandler Jones and Hightower.

After 2013, though, the Patriots haven't been able to unearth stars in the top two rounds, and their roster is feeling the effects.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30240301/is-end-new-england-patriots-dynasty-how-got-here-next-why-not-easy-fix

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was the end of the dynasty the day Brady walked out the door.
Brady allowed them to mask so many issues. They had a hall of fame QB at a bargain basement price. He took a hometown discount almost every year of his career there (I don't think he made more than 15 mill a year). This allowed them the solidify many other areas of the team around him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, for this year anyway.

Losing much pre season was big for the Patriots. One of their big advantages is having great coaches and a great HC that can really get the best out of players.

They also have the most cap space next year. I wouldn't bet against them but they aren't making the playoffs this year.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree that they are likely done as a dynasty. But they are in a re build mode. The team was aging and they multiple starters on D opt out for this year. Not just starters but all pro/ pro bowl level players like Patrick Chung and Donta Hightower. That’s really hard to overcome. I think they had the highest number of players opt out overall and the most starters.

Of course having Can Newton doesn’t help a whole lot either. But many of their games they have still beeen competitive.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this the end of the New England Patriots' dynasty? How we got here, what's next, why it's not an easy fix

The Patriots haven't gotten much out of their top draft picks. Belichick continues to trade down and add extra picks, and those selections have continued to deliver talent. In the first two rounds of the draft, though, they would expect to select the sort of stars they can't typically find in the later rounds. Between 2007 and 2013, those top two rounds delivered Jerod Mayo, Chung, Devin McCourty, Gronk, Nate Solder, Chandler Jones and Hightower.

After 2013, though, the Patriots haven't been able to unearth stars in the top two rounds, and their roster is feeling the effects.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30240301/is-end-new-england-patriots-dynasty-how-got-here-next-why-not-easy-fix

Whaaaaat guys on this board tell me they draft amazing.

it’s funny to see what the greatest QB in the history of the sport can cover up.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup unless they some get justin fields or Laurence lol

Newton was great in his prime but after that super bowl loss he hasn't been same qb

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely yes.

It was a great phenomenal 20 year run! Especially considering it was in a league of 32 instead of 16 or less.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think people are underestimating Belichick. They had several better players opt out due to COVID and they shortchanged themselves at QB and Cam hasn't panned out for them. Give him a couple of years and I think they will right the ship and start contending again.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember when some here (myself included) were disappointed when they took N’Keal Harry one spot before our pick. I think they still would’ve gone Murphy but a disaster was avoided there.

As for the Patriots they clearly punted on this season. They wouldn’t give Cam a penny more than the minimum and didn’t seem all to disappointed over the opt outs. If Bill cares that much about the optics of Brady he would’ve have traded them Gronk. I think hes trying to avoid having Stidham throw to their awful receiving core.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember when some here (myself included) were disappointed when they took N’Keal Harry one spot before our pick. I think they still would’ve gone Murphy but a disaster was avoided there.

As for the Patriots they clearly punted on this season. They wouldn’t give Cam a penny more than the minimum and didn’t seem all to disappointed over the opt outs. If Bill cares that much about the optics of Brady he would’ve have traded them Gronk. I think hes trying to avoid having Stidham throw to their awful receiving core.

the cupboard was bare last year that’s why Brady left.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio Saturday, Belichick told Charlie Weis the 2-5 Patriots have been giving younger players more opportunities this season due to both veteran players opting out and a lack of depth. He said the latter is the result of New England’s salary cap situation.

The quotes were surprising from the usually tight-lipped Belichick. He was asked about them during his weekly WEEI appearance on Monday. Belichick got a bit testy when host Christian Fauria implied the coach was using the salary cap situation as an excuse.

“I didn’t say it is as an excuse,” Belichick said. “Look, we paid Cam Newton $1 million. It’s obvious we didn’t have any money. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s what we did the last five years. We sold out and won three Super Bowls, played in a fourth and played in an AFC Championship Game. This year we had less to work with. It’s not an excuse, it’s just a fact.”

While it’s uncharacteristic of him to say it, Belichick is not wrong. The Patriots kicked a lot of money down the road in order to remain competitive while they had Tom Brady. When Brady signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England had to absorb a $13.5 million salary cap hit. They ended up with $26 million in dead cap space total this offseason, which was one of the highest marks in the NFL.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think they are down this year, but they reload a lot next. I think Bill would like to win 1 more, with a different kind of squad (no Brady)

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Belichick isn't king. Everyone who gets to be a coach at this level is excellent at his job in a way common folk can't even understand. The coaches who are great successes in pro sports also have the funny little coincidence of always seeming to have the best players on their teams.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
They got old, had key players opt out, lack talent on both sides of the ball and lost the greatest quarterback of all time. You’re not replacing Tom Brady so yes the dynasty is over. It’s fun to kick them when they’re down but any fan base would deal with a few years or longer in the toilet to have what they had. It’s funny listening to some people (not anyone here) talking about Belichick like he’s a bum who only won because of Brady. Those are the same people who will tell you Brady’s washed up if he has a few bad games.

Last edited: