Is this team unlikeable?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except IDGAF how well liked he is. If the problem is coachability, and he truly thinks his way is best, the kid is toast. He'll never amount to jack. Then the Cards are screwed, which means we're screwed. That is discouraging to me.

It remains to be seen. From the very beginning, many thought Kyler always looked like he didn't really respect Kingsbury. Heck most of this board didn't.

I don't actually think Kyler is a douche. I do think there is a leadership and maturity problem. I can see the lack of leadership leading to a situation where Kyler has a cadre of people in the locker room he is friendly with because he likes them or he works with them closely and there also being a bunch of guys that think he's a dick because he doesn't bother with them.

The QB really need to bring everyone together and he has to lead the guys at the back of the roster and on the defensive side of the roster as much the 10-15 top end offensive guys he spends most time with.

He really needs to mature this year. Maybe the ACL will help with that. He's never really faced adversity in his career.

And he needs to engage with his own fans better. You can't have half your own fanbase thinking you're a douchebag.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't actually think Kyler is a douche. I do think there is a leadership and maturity problem. I can see the lack of leadership leading to a situation where Kyler has a cadre of people in the locker room he is friendly with because he likes them or he works with them closely and there also being a bunch of guys that think he's a dick because he doesn't bother with them.

The QB really need to bring everyone together and he has to lead the guys at the back of the roster and on the defensive side of the roster as much the 10-15 top end offensive guys he spends most time with.

He really needs to mature this year. Maybe the ACL will help with that. He's never really faced adversity in his career.

And he needs to engage with his own fans better. You can't have half your own fanbase thinking you're a douchebag.
He does not have to 'engage' better with his fans, he has to win... winning had made a ton of QBs the apple of the fan's eye despite them being pretty much a pr!ck

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He does not have to 'engage' better with his fans, he has to win... winning had made a ton of QBs the apple of the fan's eye despite them being pretty much a pr!ck

He can do both because one is literally the easiest thing in the world and completely within his control and the other is extremely hard and at the mercy of many factors.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us liked Kyler for the first 3 years. Yes we got frustrated with his seemingly rookie mistakes but I’d say most of us didn’t look at him like a douche bag.
That all changed last year with scrubbing his media page. It pissed us off because he truly didn’t warrant a new contract at that point in time.
There are players on this team now and in the past that we would be screaming, “ Pay the Man!” At that point in time we didn’t feel that wsy.
I don’t want to hate the guy. I don’t want him to fail. But good lord he hasn’t done a lot this last year for us to embrace him.
He’s in the building rehabbing and that makes me happy. It’s a step in the right direction. It won’t take much for us to “like” him again. He has dug himself a pretty deep PR hole. It’s going to take a while for him to change that image. It can be done, but it is totally all on his shoulders.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. Winning cures all ails. At this point some fans will be unhappy with anything kyler does absent winning. If he made this big show like Brit wants I guarantee you that eventually (a) kyler says something that Brit crucifies him for - we can all admit that kyler may be one of the least self-aware players we’ve had and outs foot in mouth a lot (maybe his self awareness is found in him NOT doing media); or (b) Brit will crucify him for being all fake in the media if he’s suddenly the different character that Brit wants him to be. In my experience once a fan has a dislike of a player they don’t change their spots unless the player starts winning, and even then they keep up the crusade at times. I know I’m guilty of this with certain players (think deandre Ayton - although his latest run is turning me into an aytin fan I still catch myself criticizing little things if his I see in games - being frustrated with a player is a tough habit to break).

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unwatchable at times, more than I'd like to admit that I actually watched lol. Never unlikable because this was my first team ever being a fan of (1976) & it will be my last. Forever a Cardinals fan. Look, I have no proof, only faith that Monti will be a competent GM & build this team through FA & the draft, especially the draft. Gannon is young & can relate to the players but he needs to also show tough love at the same time, build them up & tear into them when he needs to. The way I understand it, Gannon is Monti's guy, had his eye on him for a while now & that's good enough for me right now.
I know what you mean. Fan since 1973. Not paid to make the decisions so hope Gannon and Montican turn the franchise around.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched every minute of every game and honestly I was so disgusted with the whole regime that was actively rooting for them to get blown out. I wanted it to become impossible to not make changes.
I didn’t expect more than 5-6 wins last year KNOWING what we had. I’m going to go into next year with those same expectations.
I watched every minute also. Kliffs' idiotic game management cost them at least 4 wins this year and in other years. Just drove me crazy. Hope this coach does it differently.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think most of us liked Kyler for the first 3 years. Yes we got frustrated with his seemingly rookie mistakes but I’d say most of us didn’t look at him like a douche bag.
That all changed last year with scrubbing his media page. It pissed us off because he truly didn’t warrant a new contract at that point in time.
There are players on this team now and in the past that we would be screaming, “ Pay the Man!” At that point in time we didn’t feel that wsy.
I don’t want to hate the guy. I don’t want him to fail. But good lord he hasn’t done a lot this last year for us to embrace him.
He’s in the building rehabbing and that makes me happy. It’s a step in the right direction. It won’t take much for us to “like” him again. He has dug himself a pretty deep PR hole. It’s going to take a while for him to change that image. It can be done, but it is totally all on his shoulders.
Because Kyler is not an effervescent type personality, people will not automatically fall in love with the dude. The team & Kyler improved each of his first 3 years. I have always maintained that they did that not because of KK, but in spite of KK. Regardless of what a train wreck last year was, I was steadfast that Murray is an elite talent. Happy to hear that Gannon agrees with me. Time will tell if I was right or wrong and whether Murray will put up or shut up. But, I’m excited & looking forward to next season. I love the fact that his approach is process driven and not necessarily result driven. Exactly how I coached for hundreds of years in multiple sports. I believe that even though this team will be built around Murray, Kyler will not have to literally have to be Superman for us to be successful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose