Is this team unlikeable?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I'm more thinking about like from an NFL team perspective. Let's say you were just a fan of the game (which I think is fair to say to someone from the UK, who probably knows plenty of people who maybe enjoy the sport, but don't really give a poop about following a specific team come rain or shine). In that instance, does this franchise seem like one where the people on the field or producing the product are people you can root for?

Here's an example. I hate the 49ers with a passion. But I found Brock Purdy "likable." He's an underdog, seems kind, works hard, you feel good when seeing him do well.

I love the Cardinals. But I find Kyler Murray tremendously "unlikable." Don't get me wrong, he's a pretty good player, and I root for him because he's in Cardinal red, but if he were on another team I'd just laugh about how much he pouts and make Call of Duty jokes all the time.

It's very simply a feeling of like "ugh, I don't really want to root for these guys." Still a fan, still would like us to be good, but probably wouldn't take my kid to training camp to get his football signed.

I think there are players on this team to like. Budda, Hump, Beechum if back has been great in the community, Conner is a good dude and has a nice story. Zaven, Simmons, Jalen etc seem like good dudes. It's not unlikeable.

I think, deep down, even Kyler is likeable. I've seen him talk many times where I've thought he's been impressive. He just has the worst PR in all of sports history. I don't know if its him not caring about it enough to bother (I assume its this) or his team are massively incompetent but I think Kyler could be well liked. Maybe not a Burrow or Allen, but he could be a Lamar/Hurts. There's just some massive mental block there where he thinks it doesn't matter so now this douche narrative has taken hold. Perception is reality.

It was plenty likeable at 11-6. Winning changes everything.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think there are players on this team to like. Budda, Hump, Beechum if back has been great in the community, Conner is a good dude and has a nice story. Zaven, Simmons, Jalen etc seem like good dudes. It's not unlikeable.

I think, deep down, even Kyler is likeable. I've seen him talk many times where I've thought he's been impressive. He just has the worst PR in all of sports history. I don't know if its him not caring about it enough to bother (I assume its this) or his team are massively incompetent but I think Kyler could be well liked. Maybe not a Burrow or Allen, but he could be a Lamar/Hurts. There's just some massive mental block there where he thinks it doesn't matter so now this douche narrative has taken hold. Perception is reality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone on the team is unlikable, Budda's great. Hump's funny I guess, but it's not like he's someone that draws that much attention to the team. All of these guys you're mentioning are fine, but out of the remainder, the only guy I see as stand-out likable is Conner, no disrespect to the other guys. They're cool. Just not draws to the team.

Sorry, Kyler seems like a fine dude to other people he knows in the locker room and such, but he's just not like "oh man I can't believe he's on our team, what a representative to the league and the community!"

Even at 11-6 I wasn't overwhelmed with how likable everyone was.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone on the team is unlikable, Budda's great. Hump's funny I guess, but it's not like he's someone that draws that much attention to the team. All of these guys you're mentioning are fine, but out of the remainder, the only guy I see as stand-out likable is Conner, no disrespect to the other guys. They're cool. Just not draws to the team.

Sorry, Kyler seems like a fine dude to other people he knows in the locker room and such, but he's just not like "oh man I can't believe he's on our team, what a representative to the league and the community!"

Even at 11-6 I wasn't overwhelmed with how likable everyone was.

Meh. If we're talking about star personalities does it really matter? I suppose if we're deciding what name to get on a shirt but otherwise I don't see what use it is.

The Chiefs team that just won the superbowl isn't full of star personalities outside Mahomes.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Does a team take on the personality of its leaders? I think so, probably.

So GM and HC now have a clean slate. Like some have said, MB has lost ground by meddling (hire smart people and then let them be smart Michael!).

K1 is... sigh... he's his own person. It's not like he's telling people to F off or always at the strip clubs or anything that severe. But if people want to say he's unlikable, I guess can see that side of it.

So is this team likable? is a mixed bag because it's to-be-determined with Monti (love that name) and Gannon. But kind of meh with Bidwill and Kyler.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Did you see the Jody Oehler clip on Kyler Murray?

He asked people at radio row during the Super Bowl what they thought of Kyler, and based on what he said, it sounded like he got answers from people within the Cardinals on Murray.

He said Kyler isn't a cancer. He isn't unlikeable. He is a quirky dude and a lot of people actually really like him on a personal level. What he did say was the Kyler Murray isn't very coachable. I think any coach is going have to convince Murray that their way will work. Since Murray has had a ton of personal and team success for a lot of his football years, he's probably of the mindset that he knows what works.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
I just did that for the better part of four years, haha.

I think it's fair to not like the current incarnation of your team, vs. not liking them at all.

I guess I'm looking at likability from the lens of the outsider instead of someone who is a fan when this question is asked. Like, for many years I just didn't like the Bengals because their attitudes were poor and they put pretty trashy humans on their rosters. Now I find the Bengals to be highly likable from their coaches, to their QB, and maybe one of my favorite players to watch in Jamar Chase.
Well put. I get that

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know any of these dudes personally & they haven’t committed any heinous crimes that I know of so I really don’t find any of them unlikable.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team is likeable. The problem has always been the organization/FO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Did you see the Jody Oehler clip on Kyler Murray?

He asked people at radio row during the Super Bowl what they thought of Kyler, and based on what he said, it sounded like he got answers from people within the Cardinals on Murray.

He said Kyler isn't a cancer. He isn't unlikeable. He is a quirky dude and a lot of people actually really like him on a personal level. What he did say was the Kyler Murray isn't very coachable. I think any coach is going have to convince Murray that their way will work. Since Murray has had a ton of personal and team success for a lot of his football years, he's probably of the mindset that he knows what works.
Well, that's discouraging.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Meh. If we're talking about star personalities does it really matter? I suppose if we're deciding what name to get on a shirt but otherwise I don't see what use it is.

The Chiefs team that just won the superbowl isn't full of star personalities outside Mahomes.
I think those guys are the ones that make your team recognizable, yes. More fun to watch. It's telling when I can't really think of a guy whose jersey I really want to buy if we were to get a redesign this year. If the team is full of a bunch of replaceable quiet guys who aren't all that good... then meh.

Also, funny take when Travis Kelce is the best TE in the league, hugely liked, and incredibly vocal. Andy Reid is considered one of the top and most gregarious coaches in the league. Chris Jones and Frank Clark both come to mind too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, that's discouraging.
Eye of the beholder.

What he essentially said is that the narrative is all wrong. Murray ISN'T hated by his teammates. He's actually well liked in the locker room. I think a lot of us fear that Murray is a giant douche, but that isn't the case according to Oehler.

We all saw micro instances where it seemed like Murray might not have respected Kliff. Everyone of us have ended up working for leaders who we thought were incompetent and it's really hard to take them seriously and listen to any feedback. Let's hope that is the case.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eye of the beholder.

What he essentially said is that the narrative is all wrong. Murray ISN'T hated by his teammates. He's actually well liked in the locker room. I think a lot of us fear that Murray is a giant douche, but that isn't the case according to Oehler.

We all saw micro instances where it seemed like Murray might not have respected Kliff. Everyone of us have ended up working for leaders who we thought were incompetent and it's really hard to take them seriously and listen to any feedback. Let's hope that is the case.
Except IDGAF how well liked he is. If the problem is coachability, and he truly thinks his way is best, the kid is toast. He'll never amount to jack. Then the Cards are screwed, which means we're screwed. That is discouraging to me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except IDGAF how well liked he is. If the problem is coachability, and he truly thinks his way is best, the kid is toast. He'll never amount to jack. Then the Cards are screwed, which means we're screwed. That is discouraging to me.
It remains to be seen. From the very beginning, many thought Kyler always looked like he didn't really respect Kingsbury. Heck most of this board didn't.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way to know that with any certainty
Likeable is a relative term so, for me, they’re def more likeable now. I like hard-nosed, fundamentally-sound play and there will be an emphasis on those two things under this regime. The interesting thing will be to see how much roster turnover is actually required to get the team there.

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
Why do we find it so hard to cut ties with them? If this team were our wives, we would have walked away and filed for divorce years ago. But instead, we are all still here. I guess just like in a relationship, we all fear being alone and not having anyone. Both sad and pathetic really.
I'm 55 and have rooted for this team since I was 6 years old. Not changing teams now or ever. For better or for worse...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'm 55 and have rooted for this team since I was 6 years old. Not changing teams now or ever. For better or for worse...

Do you remember the Monday Night Football game against the Redskins where Mel Gray made a questionable catch on a pass from Hart in the endzone, and the refs talked for like fifteen minutes before awarding Gray the TD? That's my first memory of Cardinals football. Right there with you.

Post more often! I've been around here for a while and this board is awesome!

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
Do you remember the Monday Night Football game against the Redskins where Mel Gray made a questionable catch on a pass from Hart in the endzone, and the refs talked for like fifteen minutes before awarding Gray the TD? That's my first memory of Cardinals football. Right there with you.

I know the game you are talking about. I think this is a video clip of it. Hard to believe what constituted a catch then vs now. Born in St. Louis, but moved to Texas when I was 8 yrs old. Had Cardinal red running through my veins in the middle of Cowboy country.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was there. The place went nuts! The Cards won the toss and Jim Otis ran the ball down their throats and kicked the winning FG.
If there was replay it would have been ruled incomplete.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Since I started following them in the early 90s this is one of the most unlikeable teams I’ve rooted for. Doesn’t mean I’m not a fan and I certainly won’t be a fan of another team but it’s hard to watch them. There’s not a player I want to buy a jersey of for my son (he’s only 4 so he does not have much say so in who to root for). This team needs a face of the franchise. They need the next Larry. Coaches and especially GMs can not be the face of the franchise.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Im 33 years old and have watched and been on this board since early highschool. Ive seen a lot of bad football and Bball here over that span. Maybe im just being negative but this team is just so unlikeable.

Kyler is the face of the franchise, nuff said. Guys like Larry and JJ are retired and gone. Kliff was a likeable guy but just couldnt do the job. The coaching staff/Keim were busted in the media for the wrong reasons. Players come here and succeed elsewhere (John brown, isiah, reddick, jordan phillips, etc). The roster is all flash without the actual flash. On top of it, the whole roster is about to turn over. You have ex players like PP taking shots at how the Cards front office does business. At least some bad teams are known for playing hard, not this one. You then hire quirky young Gannon to fix the problem. What evidence is there he can fix the problem? The cards needed a head coach to move the franchise forward, not another 40 year old coordinator with a short resume, c’mon man.

Im okay having bad team and rebuilding but i cant find a guy or a face here to even attach my wagon to. I like ertz and Budda but just mostly feel bad for them and want them gone because I want to see them actually win. I think if we were fans of another team, we would all dislike the Cards.

Go Suns
One, if we were fans of another team, we would probably have no opinion good or bad. Two, I already know there is something seriously wrong with me because I still care since 1976. I am beyond questioning my fandom and proud of being a Cardinal fan defied all logic but I will tell you what, all my friends respect the hell out of me because being a Cardinal fan is also the epitome of diehard and there has not been a stake or silver bullet to stop me yet lol

Go Spurs :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose