Is there a reason why we don't fire Kliff today?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure what’s the big deal of the 2pt conversion decision.

We should be thanking Kliff for that to zap any hope of a comeback by still making it a 2 score game instead of 1.
This. Best thing to do is to lose all the rest of our games. People getting angry about not winning make no sense to me at this point. Year is over, getting the best draft position we can get is the most positive thing we can accomplish for the rest of the year. If I was in charge I may even go so far as to bench my quality young guys to make sure they don't get hurt for next year.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, Dave. I tried reading those articles, way over my head and understanding. :oops: .
I will just continue coming on here and getting my opinions from all you people on here. :rolleyes:
:D

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Hard Knocks. Be too hard to make another puff piece if they axed him.

Also, I would rather let him ride it out at this point because I could just see VJ get the interim, win 2 of the last 3 and MB makes him the next HC.
Oh, no! Heaven forbid!

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
This has been a season, so profoundly bad that I am at a loss.

I hated the extensions when they happened, as many here did. They've played out worse than anyone could fathom.

Keim is gone, that seems for sure, I suspect Kingsbury gets a year under a new GM (likely AW), which will be a waste of time. Also, if AW is our "head scout" then, as much as I loved the guy as a player... yikes.

In just about 12 months this franchise has gone from being one that I envisioned as being in the mix for a long while to being probably the most hopeless franchise in football.

Oof.
You are absolutely on point. If AW would be as good as Ozzie Newsome or John Lynch we would be in great shape.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and everyone who thinks it was a bad call to try a two-point conversion after the last TD are just plain wrong. There's no rational argument to kick the extra point there. This guy explains it as well as anyone.

...dave
You are wrong. By failing on the two point attempt it literally ended the game. It turned it into a two possession game with 3:30 left. It took any pressure of turning the ball back over to the cardinals a moot point.
The extra point ( assuming it was good) would have kept it a one possession game. Ridiculous to see it any other way.
If anyone can’t see that you need to get hired with Kliff wherever his next coaching is.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So instead of arguing about the 2 point conversion, I'll try to answer the question at hand.

Apparently at the recent coaches meeting in Dallas, the NFL gave a presentation on how NFL teams have wasted 800M on fired executives no longer doing the jobs they were paid for in the past 5 years. 800 million dollars! That is a huge chunk of change. The NFL pretty much told the teams that this wasteful spending is not sustainable.

Don't be surprised when coaches/execs stay in much longer than fans think they should.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are some that thinks it was okay to go for two at that point, “ because we had to do it at some time.” Missing that essentially ended the game. It turned it into a two possession game. Denver no longer had to worry about the cardinals getting the ball after their ensuing possession.
Kliff literally turned a 60 minute game into a 57 minute game. Brilliant.
Agree 100%. Just don’t understand people that don’t get this. I’m of the school of thought that you don’t go for two until you absolutely have to.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Just don’t understand people that don’t get this. I’m of the school of thought that you don’t go for two until you absolutely have to.
Analytics change. Up until about 4 or 5 years ago, conventional wisdom would have told coaches to not go for 2 point conversions at the end of the game to try and win it. Going to OT was what you were supposed to do. The Cards have been beaten by the Chargers by this tactic this year.

...with that said, I probably would have gone for 1.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Analytics change. Up until about 4 or 5 years ago, conventional wisdom would have told coaches to not go for 2 point conversions at the end of the game to try and win it. Going to OT was what you were supposed to do. The Cards have been beaten by the Chargers by this tactic this year.

...with that said, I probably would have gone for 1.
Unless circumstances dictate otherwise (you're on your backup QB, injuries, your team is exhausted and theirs isn't, etc), you go for 1 every time.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This has been a season, so profoundly bad that I am at a loss.

I hated the extensions when they happened, as many here did. They've played out worse than anyone could fathom.

Keim is gone, that seems for sure, I suspect Kingsbury gets a year under a new GM (likely AW), which will be a waste of time. Also, if AW is our "head scout" then, as much as I loved the guy as a player... yikes.

In just about 12 months this franchise has gone from being one that I envisioned as being in the mix for a long while to being probably the most hopeless franchise in football.

Oof.

If they go internal, I'd put my $ on Quentin Harris. He's senior to AW.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Let him finish the season. Gain nothing by firing him now, just hope Bidwill does it on Black Monday.
They gain they ability to negotiate with a replacement before others can.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Your logical fallacy is that you think if they kick the extra point, they're down one possession. That's only true IF they make the two-point conversion later. If they don't make the two-point conversion later, they weren't really down by one score - they just FALSELY THOUGHT they were, and wasted time trying for one more score when in reality they needed two - keeping false hope alive and planning to lose more slowly.

At the time of the decision, you don't know whether you'll make the two-point conversion or not, and you're no more likely to make it at the end of the game than earlier. So it's better to try earlier and know the outcome of the two-point conversion, so you can plan to maximize your chances of winning.

To argue otherwise is to compare a scenario where you know you missed the two-point conversion earlier, with a scenario where you think you might make it later. That may make it seem appealing to people, but it's erroneous thinking.

Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't understand math, logic, decision theory, or probabilities, and is just being emotional. And is wrong. And THAT is the end of the discussion for me.

...dave
Daves, I'm sorry but I don't get the article or your point. You still have to hustle to score. You don't have any less sense of urgency if you're only down 8. You're still losing, and the possibility is still very real that you MIGHT not get the needed 2 pt conversion. I always expect my team to play with its hair on fire if you're losing in the 4th whether it's 15 or 5. To your argument, if you DO go for it down 15 on the first touchdown, do you then breathe easy and lighten up knowing you're down only 7? I just don't get it. I don't want my team putting itself in further peril by getting ahead of itself un-necessarily. You don't have to respond since you don't want to belabor the point, but that's just my thought on the matter. :thumbup:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wouldn't fire Kliff on black monday unless you are going to have the HC pick the gm vs the other way around.

Interesting.

They gain they ability to negotiate with a replacement before others can.

It's pretty naïve to think that candidates aren't making themselves available to teams right now, TBH.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't say he'd be GOOD, just that he would be better than Patricia. LOL
Would he though? Not sure what evidence has shown that…and Kliffy for sure has a ton more talent than Patricia has on his offense.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main concern would be, just who is Michael consulting with to make these decisions? Fredo?