Is Rosen a Kingsbury type QB

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Rosen had plenty of games to get better and didn’t - I want him to be great too - but it would be extraordinary if he climbed from the bottom rank to say 26? He’s as much the reason we’re picking 1 overall as Wilks - unless KK has wizard of oz monkeys flying out his az - he might - will see

2018 qb rankings

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/qb-rating-nfl

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Do people not realize trading Rosen all of a sudden creates $8+ million in dead cap space? That alone makes this purely fictional.

Rosen will get every opportunity to succeed and Kingsbury will build his offense around his strengths. He JUST turned 22--this week, lets not give up on the kid so quickly.

I doubt they trade him but the cap is going to be 187-191 million and we are about $50million under the cap. Let's not act like having $8-$9 million in dead money is going to break us.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosen had plenty of games to get better and didn’t - I want him to be great too - but it would be extraordinary if he climbed from the bottom rank to say 26? He’s as much the reason we’re picking 1 overall as Wilks - unless KK has wizard of oz monkeys flying out his az - he might - will see

2018 qb rankings

I give a rats ass over any offensive players stats on this team last year.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I doubt they trade him but the cap is going to be 187-191 million and we are about $50million under the cap. Let's not act like having $8-$9 million in dead money is going to break us.

Shouldn’t trade him but doesn’t mean we should not take the best qb available with our first Arizona #1 overall draft pick! More is better - look at teams like Denver looking for years! If you need a qb get 2-3 whatever it takes to get one! Rosen has not shown me a reason to put all the cardinal eggs in his basket? I still think Sam Bradford is a much better qb - stuck in a bad bad situation with McCoy and Wilks and yes fans clamoring for the rookie qb - who averaged 162 yards a game for 14 games -

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Our cap is $42 mil at the moment. It’d be completely irresponsible to carry over 8-9 mil in dead money before you even get into free agency and in the draft. That’s more-or-less our rookie pool for next year.

You’re basically saying that you’d sacrifice a chance at signing a very good starter in free agency because you’re desperate to get rid of Josh Rosen.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Break us?

No. But giving up the price of a first rate starter in FA or a host of depth players in a rebuild year is not an insignificant calculation.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Really you don't think having $13 million in dead money in ONE position during a rebuild is a big deal to this organization? Not to mention the additional cap used to fill that position between Glennon costing another $4 million + the cost of another high draft pick at the position. $8 million can be used on a high quality starter or like 3 quality depth guys.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's not that Rosen isn't a KK QB, it's that Murray is a dynamic play-maker that is KK's dream QB come true.

Murray would get the most out of KK's ability to scheme, and KK would get the most out of Murray's play-making talent.

It's a match made in heaven.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not that Rosen isn't a KK QB, it's that Murray is a dynamic play-maker that is KK's dream QB come true.

Murray would get the most out of KK's ability to scheme, and KK would get the most out of Murray's play-making talent.

It's a match made in heaven.

And here's why they stick with Rosen.

The Cardinals were the worst pass-blocking team in the league last year, according to Pro Football Focus grading. Rosen was sacked on more than 10 percent of his dropbacks, the fifth most in the league, and pressured on more than 40 percent of his dropbacks, third most in the league. That offensive line is the top priority this offseason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do people not realize trading Rosen all of a sudden creates $8+ million in dead cap space? That alone makes this purely fictional.

Rosen will get every opportunity to succeed and Kingsbury will build his offense around his strengths. He JUST turned 22--this week, lets not give up on the kid so quickly.
not to mention none of the QB's in this draft would have been picked before Rosen last year

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Let me put this in perspective, if some of you think Rosen should be jettison after one season under an awful coaching staff and offensive system then the team should have sent Nkemdiche packing after his rookie season too. Why not throw out Reddick and Humphries too. Neither one did much of anything their rookie seasons. Ideas like this border on insanity. The fact that Murray ran a 140 times for over a 1,000 yds. tells me he is prone to pull it down and run if he feels any pressure which doesn't translate well to the NFL when you are 5'-10" and a 195 lbs. I see another RGIII here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone else just completely over this merry-go-round? when does FA start?

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Let me put this in perspective, if some of you think Rosen should be jettison after one season under an awful coaching staff and offensive system then the team should have sent Nkemdiche packing after his rookie season too. Why not throw out Reddick and Humphries too. Neither one did much of anything their rookie seasons. Ideas like this border on insanity. The fact that Murray ran a 140 times for over a 1,000 yds. tells me he is prone to pull it down and run if he feels any pressure which doesn't translate well to the NFL when you are 5'-10" and a 195 lbs. I see another RGIII here.

Trading Rosen is solely based off the fact that young QBs are highly valued. If we had traded any of those guys, there's no way we'd get close to the amount we'd get for Rosen.

All this speculation about getting rid of Rosen starts with getting good value in exchange for him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

2018 qb rankings

I'm not totally sold on Rosen, but don't agree that he had enough games to get better...but didn't.

Think of the Card passing attack as a giant complex "robot"...& Rosen the most important component. The robot didn't get better (due to poor coaching, lack of surrounding talent etc.). As the robot failed to execute, so too did Rosen). Kid still needs more time and has too much upside to give up on this early.

Last edited:

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Trading Rosen is solely based off the fact that young QBs are highly valued. If we had traded any of those guys, there's no way we'd get close to the amount we'd get for Rosen.

All this speculation about getting rid of Rosen starts with getting good value in exchange for him.

Which is NOT happening. The most you get is a 2nd and thats being generous. Flacco just went for a 4th rd pick and he has won a super bowl. Your not getting squat for Rosen coming off that year.

Matt L

Reaction score
Our cap is $42 mil at the moment. It’d be completely irresponsible to carry over 8-9 mil in dead money before you even get into free agency and in the draft. That’s more-or-less our rookie pool for next year.

You’re basically saying that you’d sacrifice a chance at signing a very good starter in free agency because you’re desperate to get rid of Josh Rosen.

1. When was the last time Keim signed a "very good starter" in free agency?
2. It may be irresponsible to go into the season handing the most important position to a QB who showed no improvement throughout the previous season.

I'm hoping Rosen succeeds but I am also hoping the front office does their homework on all available players in the draft. Another poster wrote that Rosen was more highly rated than the QB's in this draft and I find that somewhat hard to believe.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
1. When was the last time Keim signed a "very good starter" in free agency?
2. It may be irresponsible to go into the season handing the most important position to a QB who showed no improvement throughout the previous season.

I'm hoping Rosen succeeds but I am also hoping the front office does their homework on all available players in the draft. Another poster wrote that Rosen was more highly rated than the QB's in this draft and I find that somewhat hard to believe.

Rosen coming out of UCLA was a young three-year starter, traditional pocket passer, few measurable flaws, and all of the physical traits one looks for in the draft. He would most definitely be higher rated than Murray, Haskins, et al. In fact, every single first-round QB from 2018 would be the #1 QB in the 2019 draft.

All of these projected first-round QBs come with red flags, whether it be experience, physical stature, etc.

The front office will do its homework, but will come to the same conclusion that I’ve come to and that the best course of action is to keep and develop Rosen and fill holes elsewhere. I would be very surprised if the Cards picked a QB at all in the draft.

Matt L

Reaction score
Let's say hypothetically Rosen stayed at UCLA for the 2018 season. I think Rosen and Haskins are comparable but Haskins would probably get the nod on his numbers and winning percentage. Kyler Murray is a wild card but he does have a similar skill set to QBs like Russell Wilson and Patrick Maholmes and while Rosen had okay numbers in college, he barely had a winning record and he didn't elevate his teammates play. I think the only thing we can be certain of is we would be having the same debate about who we should draft #1.

I too would be surprised if we draft a QB in the 2019 draft. I also won't be surprised if we are halfway through next season and half of the poster's on this forum are making the same excuses for Rosen.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Clements: Josh Rosen has the talent to be successful

When Tom Clements arrived in Green Bay in 2006, Aaron Rodgers was entering his second season.

“Aaron kind of grew up with me,” Clements said, via Kyle Odegard of the team website.

Now, the Cardinals have hired Clements as their quarterbacks coach with Josh Rosen entering his second season.

The comparisons stop there, but Clements has watched every throw Rosen made as a rookie and is encouraged by what he has seen.

“He has the physical abilities,” Clements said. “He can move. He can throw it. He has very good arm strength. He gets it out. And you just hope that as he gets better and as the team gets better, you can have better results.”

Head coach Kliff Kingsbury is revamping the offense to his liking, adding the Air Raid to the team’s playbook. Clements said the offense fits what Rosen does best.

“Kliff likes to throw the ball, which Josh can do,” Clements said. “[Rosen] can move around, which we will do. Everything you ask a quarterback to do, it looks like Josh can do it. Once he gets here, we’ll tailor it to his strengths, as well as the strengths of the other guys around him.”

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's say hypothetically Rosen stayed at UCLA for the 2018 season. I think Rosen and Haskins are comparable but Haskins would probably get the nod on his numbers and winning percentage. Kyler Murray is a wild card but he does have a similar skill set to QBs like Russell Wilson and Patrick Maholmes and while Rosen had okay numbers in college, he barely had a winning record and he didn't elevate his teammates play. I think the only thing we can be certain of is we would be having the same debate about who we should draft #1.

I too would be surprised if we draft a QB in the 2019 draft. I also won't be surprised if we are halfway through next season and half of the poster's on this forum are making the same excuses for Rosen.

We know you'll be back doing an "I told you so... blah, blah' ... but... if wrong, will you be back offering a mea culpa?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA