Is Mike D coming around?

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a Mike D bashing thread, but an honest inquiry.

D'Antoni, known for his spread-the-floor offensive system, said that too much attention was being paid by his players to how his team was scoring rather than how they were struggling on defense.

"The frustration always comes out on the offensive end, where we're OK. It never comes out on the defensive end where we don't stop anybody," D'Antoni said. "That's where I get frustrated, because if you're going to get upset about something, let's get upset about the points in the paint, the second-chance points, not getting back on defense. Then, OK, then we're making progress."

I don't ever remember Mike alluding to defense when he was here. Like ever. Now, that may just be my poor recollection, but my question is, is Mike D starting to get it? That defense is half of a basketball game, and should be focused on as such?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ngeles-lakers-fires-back-pau-gasol-keep-house

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He tells players they need to defend but doesn't give them any guidance or reinforcement, so the words are empty.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On Tuesday, Los Angeles was out-rebounded by 20 (62-42) and their effort on limiting second chances was even more abysmal. Giving up 21 offensive rebounds to Indiana, the Lakers could never gain momentum with their initial defensive stops. D’Antoni issued the most questionable comments of the night, dismissing the fact that the lost rebounding war caused a lopsided game.

“It absolutely means nothing,” D’Antoni said.

Nope, same ol' Mike!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like to me saving grace type comments. I agree with the above. He has shown little to no knowledge when it comes to defense and instead relies on the sheer defensive talent of players on his roster. This might be an attempt to save what will probably be his last HC job in the NBA.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Sounds like to me saving grace type comments. I agree with the above. He has shown little no knowledge when it comes to defense and instead relies on the sheer defensive talent of players on his roster. This might be an attempt to save what will probably his last HC job in the NBA.
In the greatest basketball league in the world, I was shocked when teams in its two largest markets, New York, then L.A., hired the one-trick pony of head coaches. Basketball is too complex for gimmicks (except perhaps for a two-month interim coach to shake things up).

Just as when Paul Westhead may have been good with diagramming plays, but lacked the fortitude to control and motivate superstars in L.A.

I guess the Evil Empire and LaLaLand figure they're so overwhelming, they can make anything work.

I agree with you. I can't see any NBA team hiring Mike (no D) 'Antoni as Head Coach.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So happy the Lakers have to deal with him although likely for only a couple more months before he gets exiled to basketball Siberia. The hubris of that guy, he's accomplished absolutely nothing as a coach (don't give me the SSOL Era as one of his accomplishments, those teams were absolutely loaded with talent and he couldn't get out of the West) and thinks he's John Wooden.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So happy the Lakers have to deal with him although likely for only a couple more months before he gets exiled to basketball Siberia. The hubris of that guy, he's accomplished absolutely nothing as a coach (don't give me the SSOL Era as one of his accomplishments, those teams were absolutely loaded with talent and he couldn't get out of the West) and thinks he's John Wooden.

his record outside the 2004-7 (when like you said above his teams were LOADED) is simply abysmal. I mean...AWFUL. The guy is not a good head coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison