Is "deflategate over"

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally? Robert Kraft got a shot in @ Goodell on the stage, Brady was classy, and the 4 game suspension was overcome. The only parts that remain are the draft choice loss and the fine.

Boo yah.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's over because he served his suspension. It doesn't change the fact that Brady more than likely tried to hide his part and the team has done some shady things. It doesn't take away any of the accomplishments of the team or Brady although it does throw some shade on it.

Still give them all the props.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a hilarious thing online now saying the SB was rigged. One of their points of "evidence" is that with the game 28-28 and NE with the ball in OT, FOX wrote at the bottom of the screen "New England wins the game with a TD." How did they already know that was going to happen?

Duh, because that's the rule, they weren't saying it was going to happen they were saying if NE scores a TD, it's over, if they score a FG, Atlanta get the ball. They didn't know NE was going to score they were just putting the rule there so viewers would know.

Hilarious.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a hilarious thing online now saying the SB was rigged. One of their points of "evidence" is that with the game 28-28 and NE with the ball in OT, FOX wrote at the bottom of the screen "New England wins the game with a TD." How did they already know that was going to happen?

Duh, because that's the rule, they weren't saying it was going to happen they were saying if NE scores a TD, it's over, if they score a FG, Atlanta get the ball. They didn't know NE was going to score they were just putting the rule there so viewers would know.

Hilarious.

Then there is the coincidence of 3 $ 1,000,000 bets being placed for Atlanta to win. LMAO.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defategate thing was ridiculous anyway. I mean, it wasn't like that game was 17-13 or something like that. NE won the game by almost 40 points. Brady could have been playing with a brick and the outcome would have been no different.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the thought process of some. Cheating is cheating which is cheating which is wrong. Don't care if the Pats blew the Colts out, the Pats broke the rules and were sneaky about doing it.

The Pats don't need to cheat because they are freaking awesome but they did and it matters. It should taint their image and I simply don't understand people excusing their behavior away.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the thought process of some. Cheating is cheating which is cheating which is wrong. Don't care if the Pats blew the Colts out, the Pats broke the rules and were sneaky about doing it.

The Pats don't need to cheat because they are freaking awesome but they did and it matters. It should taint their image and I simply don't understand people excusing their behavior away.

This. It unnecessarily casts some shade on excellent accomplishments.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Did taking air out of the balls create an unfair advantage? More than likely not. And if it was so egregious, why didn't the officials, who were handing the balls, start removing them? There is a degree of cheating in all sports. Garth Snow used to wear unusually large goalie pads. Gaylord Perry made a career out of cheating and he still got into the Hall of Fame. It's not like in college football and basketball when schools would woo star athletes to their schools with money and prizes. Or baseball players taking steroids or using corked bats. Or a Brooklyn Little League team using a 14 year old player. You guys are acting like the Patriots used trip lines or rubbed vaseline on the Colts' footballs or threw salt in the Colts' eyes a la Mr. Fuji. Complaining about the footballs is the very definition of petty.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Did taking air out of the balls create an unfair advantage? More than likely not. And if it was so egregious, why didn't the officials, who were handing the balls, start removing them? There is a degree of cheating in all sports. Garth Snow used to wear unusually large goalie pads. Gaylord Perry made a career out of cheating and he still got into the Hall of Fame. It's not like in college football and basketball when schools would woo star athletes to their schools with money and prizes. Or baseball players taking steroids or using corked bats. Or a Brooklyn Little League team using a 14 year old player. You guys are acting like the Patriots used trip lines or rubbed vaseline on the Colts' footballs or threw salt in the Colts' eyes a la Mr. Fuji. Complaining about the footballs is the very definition of petty.

You have to watch that old salt in the eyes maneuver. It will get you every time. Mr. Fugi was a cunning SOB. If it wasn't the salt it was Professor Toru Tanaka poking his finger in your eye.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pooh,

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is deflategate that thing that started when Chris Mortenson made a bunch of stuff up then Ted Wells determined that they probably cheated?
You forgot the NFL's complete lack of knowledge of basic physics and gas laws.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So they only cheated a little bit so it doesn't matter? Not sure how much of an advantage it gives the QB or WR's & RB's but Brady felt it was enough of an advantage to coerce people to break the rules. The simple fact that Brady destroyed his cell phone to hide the evidence is why he got suspended. I bet if those involved would have been upfront and honest about what they did the entire thing would have ended quickly and fairly quietly.

I'm done with this subject because to me it's a core belief that either you are honest and trust worthy or you aren't.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So they only cheated a little bit so it doesn't matter? Not sure how much of an advantage it gives the QB or WR's & RB's but Brady felt it was enough of an advantage to coerce people to break the rules. The simple fact that Brady destroyed his cell phone to hide the evidence is why he got suspended. I bet if those involved would have been upfront and honest about what they did the entire thing would have ended quickly and fairly quietly.

I'm done with this subject because to me it's a core belief that either you are honest and trust worthy or you aren't.
If you don't think the Cards players do any cheating then you're either that naive or you're kidding yourself.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Well it was technically over after Brady served his suspension. The way I look at it, repeated cheating by the Patriots (read the ESPN story on the video taping scheme that went on for years), the NFL had to send a message and suspending Brady for 4 games was the message. Let's hope they don't cheat again because it damages the integrity of the game.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
If you don't want to read the whole story above, here's the summary:

But league insiders knew that Deflategate didn't begin on the eve of the AFC Championship Game.

It began in 2007, with Spygate.

Interviews by ESPN The Magazine and Outside the Lines with more than 90 league officials, owners, team executives and coaches, current and former Patriots coaches, staffers and players, and reviews of previously undisclosed private notes from key meetings, show that Spygate is the centerpiece of a long, secret history between Goodell's NFL, which declined comment for this story, and Kraft's Patriots. The diametrically opposed way the inquiries were managed by Goodell -- and, more importantly, perceived by his bosses -- reveals much about how and why NFL punishment is often dispensed. The widespread perception that Goodell gave the Patriots a break on Spygate, followed by the NFL's stonewalling of a potential congressional investigation into the matter, shaped owners' expectations of what needed to be done by 345 Park Ave. on Deflategate.

It was, one owner says, time for "a makeup call."

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I am curious to know how you feel about Jerry Rice. He used stick um. Admitted to it a few years ago.

Tuis post was sent from mu smartphine so please excuwe any typos or gramatical errors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn