Is anyone worried about Justin Upton?

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
I know I know it's one game but I can't help but feel that he has been rushed and is in danger of suffering a severe loss of confidence in his ability to play in the bigs. He looks very overmatched at the plate swinging and missing at anything on the black and off speed. He hasn't seemed to get around on the heat Harang was throwing. I feel he'd benefit playing in AAA and I just feel the bonus money and the number one draft thing is speaking louder than what makes sense. I just feel like he'd benefit from time playing in AAA. Can you say Carlos Quentin??? Fire away.

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
It's Day One,teams are starting to shift from Spring Training to the real deal, so I'm not too worried about anything right now.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Naw i'm sure Upton will be fine he will never be a great avg hitter anyways, it will eaither be a hr double or nothing for upton imo

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bob Melvin recognizes the problem with batting a young player like Upton eighth. He'll never see a good pitch to hit, with the pitcher hitting behind him (except for Owings' 6 innings every 5th game).

Here was today's batting order.

Young
Hudson
Byrnes
Jackson
Snyder
Reynolds
Drew
Upton

Snyder has earned the 5th spot. Reynolds is a classic #6 hitter.

I suggest batting Upton 7th and Drew 8th, for the good of the team as well as Upton. Drew can handle the 8th spot alot better. It's not a demotion; it's a need.

I also think that Young with a homerun and three strikeouts in the leadoff spot should be moved to the heart of the order and stay there.

Hudson is as close as we have to a leadoff hitter.

So I'm suggesting

Hudson
Jackson
Byrnes
Young
Snyder
Reynolds
Upton
Drew

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Right now Justin is at the same exact point that his brother BJ was at.

Here's BJ's stats:
Age 18, A .302/.394/.445
Age 18, AA .276/.376/.381
Age 19, AA .311/.411/.519
Age 19, AAA .327/.407/.471

Here's Justin's stats:
Age 18, A .263/.343/.413
Age 19, A+ .341/.433/.540
Age 19, AA .309/.399/.556

Look at BJ now. He's 24 now and hit .300, 24 HR, 82 RBI's last season. I think Justin's progress may be ahead of BJ's in a year or two. Justin is going to take time, my only concern with him right now is him batting in the 8th spot. He won't get much to hit there and he's really going to have to learn patience there.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we will see guys being rotated at the 8th spot to avoid those kind of issues. I'm not a fan of having Young bat first, but this team is sorely lacking a true leadoff type.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Hopefully we will see guys being rotated at the 8th spot to avoid those kind of issues. I'm not a fan of having Young bat first, but this team is sorely lacking a true leadoff type.

I'd like to see Orlando bat leadoff, but you can't argue with Young's 9 leadoff HR's.

Just an idea but what about when Micah pitches, have Upton bat 9th. That way he's in between Micah and then he'll see pitches with Young behind him.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Naw i'm sure Upton will be fine he will never be a great avg hitter anyways, it will eaither be a hr double or nothing for upton imo

From what all the scouts have said, Upton is projected to be more of an all around, 5 tool type of player. Judging from his body type and early development, that seems right on the mark.

There's a lot of season to go, I just hope Upton (and all of the young guys) can stay healthy, get a few hundred ABs and improve.

OP
OP
AzKarl

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the great discussion

I appreciate the great dialogue and comments. A couple of you have made great suggested lineup changes. I haven't given up on Justin but am concerned. I think it would benefit his development to move him up in the lineup. I also would like Young's homerun potential somewhere deeper in the lineup because we frankly don't want 30 plus solo homeruns.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I appreciate the great dialogue and comments. A couple of you have made great suggested lineup changes. I haven't given up on Justin but am concerned. I think it would benefit his development to move him up in the lineup. I also would like Young's homerun potential somewhere deeper in the lineup because we frankly don't want 30 plus solo homeruns.

I agree having Young's power bat in the lead off spot seems a little odd, but if you think about it almost a third of his HR's were to start a game off. Messing with where he bats may not be a great idea, especially if he's teeing off at the beginning of the game.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So I'm suggesting

Hudson
Jackson
Byrnes
Young
Snyder
Reynolds
Upton
Drew

I like the idea of batting Upton 7th and Drew 8th for the protection it affords him.

I like Byrnes more leading off and Young 2nd, Hudson 3rd, Jackson 4th, I don't think Melvin wants him hacking for homers all the time and to develop the rest of his game. Maybe 3rd? You have to utilise his speed somehow.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'd like to see Orlando bat leadoff, but you can't argue with Young's 9 leadoff HR's.
Think about that, though. For two reasons.

-- A HR should produce more RBI's than a single with a runner on 2B.

-- And a solo HR is pretty much a rally killer. The pitcher gave up one run and he can regroup.

More than one RBI, or a hit that drives in a run and puts a runner on base is a rally.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new idea for a lineup

Bonifacio-SS
Hudson-2B
Byrnes-LF
Jackson-1B
Reynolds-3B
Young-CF
Upton-RF
Snyder-C

Seriously, time to trade Drew while he has some value to at least sit him for a while and give Bonifacio a shot at lead off with his speed.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonifacio isn't a shortstop, and hasn't looked good in the very limited time he's played there in the past.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonifacio isn't a shortstop, and hasn't looked good in the very limited time he's played there in the past.

I know, I know. I am just so frustrated with Drew. Move Upton back to SS and give Salazar a change in RF.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Seriously, time to trade Drew while he has some value to at least sit him for a while and give Bonifacio a shot at lead off with his speed.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Drew has already shown himself to be a very good defender, and in the minors the knock on him was that he was 'all hit, no glove.' In the bigs, its been the opposite, but his hitting will almost surely come around. Its far too early to be thinking about trading a top pick and potential future star.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I know, I know. I am just so frustrated wit
h Drew. Move Upton back to SS and give Salazar a change in RF.

lol this is justin upton not bj. give drew a chance. he has a nice swing and plays good defense. lol justin at ss.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn