IPhone junkies

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Verison's data packages are $55 a month for 5igs or $40 for 50megs. I don't know if the Omnia requires a data package or if you could just go without those features? I know the iphone requres the $30 data package, but that one is at least unlimited. The G1 from T-mobile is the only other one I know of that requires you to pay for a data package as well as a voice package.

Horse hockey....

The data package for the Omnia is the exact same as the iPhone. $30.

The data packages you speak of I have never heard of. Unless you are talking about tethering your phone to a laptop and using it as a wireless modem. Then the prices rise.

Of course, you cant tether an iPhone at all so...... lol

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What services support the Omnia? And what do you mean, what you have to give up to get the iPhone?

1. 2mp camera vs. 5mp on Omnia.
2. Can't send a picture via text messaging from an iPhone. You can only email them.
3. iPhone camera has no flash. Omnia does.
4. iPhone does not support bluetooth stereo headsets. WTF?
5. iPhone's battery is internal. You must mail it away if it goes bad. WTF?
6. iPhone is NOT INSURABLE THROUGH AT&T. Omnia is insurable for $4.99 per month. and $5.99 gives you the 3 year extended warranty.
7. iPhone has no expandable memory. Omnia is expandable up to 24gigs.
8. iPhone does not do a landscape keyboard... You have to type straight up and down for everything. Omnia goes portrait or landscape.
9. iPhone does not have full GPS. Only google maps through tower triangulation. Omnia has FULL GPS CAPABILITY.
10. You cannot use an iPhone as a wireless modem. Omnia you can.

Seriously.... The iPhone is a marketing juggernaught and a horribly backwards product when you compare it to it's peers.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Come on, where did you find those maps? They're not even close to being accurate according to each companies websites:

So I guess if you spend a lot of time driving the highways, Verison has better coverage. Otherwise, they all cover the same metro areas. Like I said, in 12+ years only 1x did I not get a signal and that was 6+ years ago.

KloD..... You do realize that the DARK GREEN is the only stuff that T-Mobile owns right? And the light green is the "extended roaming" area?

And sprint has divested about half of their "Dark Green" area as well.

When you compare the big two versus sprint or tmobile you have to admit.... One color, and it's HUGE compared to the other two. Map or no map, they arent trying to fool you with pretty colors and shiny lights.

They can be confident in the product and the service they privide. T-Mobile.... Not always the case.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Horse hockey....

The data package for the Omnia is the exact same as the iPhone. $30.

The data packages you speak of I have never heard of. Unless you are talking about tethering your phone to a laptop and using it as a wireless modem. Then the prices rise.

Of course, you cant tether an iPhone at all so...... lol

Man you're a Verison homer. You are right that it isn't $55, I made a mistake.. that's how much they charge for the mobile modem. Here is their data package.
You must be registered for see images attach

So what others are charging $30 and under for, Verison is charging $45.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KloD..... You do realize that the DARK GREEN is the only stuff that T-Mobile owns right? And the light green is the "extended roaming" area?

And sprint has divested about half of their "Dark Green" area as well.

When you compare the big two versus sprint or tmobile you have to admit.... One color, and it's HUGE compared to the other two. Map or no map, they arent trying to fool you with pretty colors and shiny lights.

They can be confident in the product and the service they privide. T-Mobile.... Not always the case.

I don't care who owns it, it doesn't cost me a cent more no matter the color. Look, I really don't care. I was just curious as to why people would spend not just a little more, but up to 3x for the same service. I wouldn't have said a thing if I didn't have both for the past 4 years and have never noticed a difference. Don't be offended, I was just curious how people justified it is all.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously.... The iPhone is a marketing juggernaught and a horribly backwards product when you compare it to it's peers.

There's no doubt the Omnia is a nice phone and better than the iphone. Personally, I would get the G1 or wait a few months for the G2 before I'd get an iphone.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Man you're a Verison homer. You are right that it isn't $55, I made a mistake.. that's how much they charge for the mobile modem. Here is their data package.
You must be registered for see images attach

So what others are charging $30 and under for, Verison is charging $45.

DUDE... I work for Verizon Wireless. And I have worked for T-Mobile (before they were T-Mobile) and I have also worked for AT&T Wireless/Cingular/AT&T. This stuff has been my life for almost 20 years. lol

The data charge for the Omnia is $30. It's only $45 if you hook it up to a corporate email system. Same for Blackberries. I just went through vzw.com and picked the phone, then a plan, then went to features and it is right there next to the $44.99 plan. The website is VERY confusing on this topic, but the $29.99 "Email & Web for Smartphones" is all you need. It's right under the one you think is the only option. Both are Unlimited data usage, but the 30 dollar one doesnt give you access to corporate email systems. Only POP3, IMAP and the others.

Ahhh.....Corporate email.... Another thing the iPhone wont do.

The G1 looks hot. I am still not sold on Android though. Seems great, but I have heard only hype for over a year now with little overall impact. The overall look and feel is very slick though.

None of those devices are as fast as I require it to be. Windows mobile or Blackberry. Everything else is slow.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klod, sorry but it's VERIZON not VERISON! I can't talk you seriously when you can't spell it right!!! :)

(all in good fun)

Gizmo Williams

Registered
Reaction score
My wife wants an IPhone...but we get a great deal on Sprint through a friend. I am looking at either the Palm Centro or the Samsung Instinct? Any suggestions on which would be the best? Or should I get her a cheapy phone and an ITouch?

The Instinct seems to be similar to the Omnia, but not quite as strong in the features (2 MP camera vs 5 MP, no music player). It does have GPS which would be nice.

Also, can you get apps like Scrabble on either the Palm or the Instinct?

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
monoprice.com has wicked good prices on sync cables, headphones, and cords to connect the iphone to a stereo. I got all three for $7.10. That includes shipping.

That rules.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
monoprice.com has wicked good prices on sync cables, headphones, and cords to connect the iphone to a stereo. I got all three for $7.10. That includes shipping.

That rules.

ah ... good find. wonder if they have anything that'll connect to your car stereo.

btw, I found an app "Pocket Tunes" for $11 that gives you access to thousands of radio stations including AM. I get to listen to Bickley and MJ when I can.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah ... good find. wonder if they have anything that'll connect to your car stereo.

btw, I found an app "Pocket Tunes" for $11 that gives you access to thousands of radio stations including AM. I get to listen to Bickley and MJ when I can.
WonderRadio, or something like that, migth be cheaper.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience so far with FM transmitters is that they suck, unless you are completely out of any kind of regular radio reception (Like, 1/2 way to Flagstaff or California or something)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm basically just interested in transmitting my iPhone music onto my car stereo - which it claims to do. But the price seems really, really low ....

Features:
  • Wirelessly transmit music from your iPhone/iPod to your car stereo
  • A LED light display
  • Acts as a cradle dock for your iPhone/iPod.
  • Charges the FM transmitter through your car's cigarette lighter jack.
  • Charges your iPhone/iPod with the iPhone/iPod connector.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine has a huge beatles cd collection, is it true that one can't put beatles cd's on ipods?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno buddy said none of the Beatles cds could be "downloaded"
Well, while you might not be able to download it, there's no way (imo) to stop someone from loading it onto an ipod.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If one can't get the songs off the cds and onto the computer, that is a good way of stopping me anyways.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
If one can't get the songs off the cds and onto the computer, that is a good way of stopping me anyways.

You can use windows media player to rip the cd onto your music folder, then import it into your iTunes, then sync it to your iPhone.