Interstellar

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Never seen one of those. I have never seen a perfect movie in my entire life. Agree with you there.

Really? That's kinda sad, Daren. :)

Seven Samurai
Casablanca
The Bicycle Thief
Rear Window
The Godfather

There are more, but all of those are pretty damn close to perfect.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry despite any technical problems with Avengers....it will be considered an all time classic. Most comic book fans already are calling it that. Critics loved it, fans loved it, it reached an audience that went beyond comic book nerds. Any ensemble film that comes after it (like Justice League) will be compared to it.

I don't think the Avengers had any "technical" problems. That's not the kind of editing me or Chap (I think) we're referring to. And I don't know why you're saying "sorry... It's an all time classic". To a lot
Of people, yes, but not to me. Doesn't make me right or them wrong.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? That's kinda sad, Daren. :)

Seven Samurai
Casablanca
The Bicycle Thief
Rear Window
The Godfather

There are more, but all of those are pretty damn close to perfect.

No such thing as a perfect film but I have seen films be nearly perfect. I could probably pick at least one nitpicky thing I didn't like about any film no matter how good. That's all I meant.

I don't think the Avengers had any "technical" problems. That's not the kind of editing me or Chap (I think) we're referring to. And I don't know why you're saying "sorry... It's an all time classic". To a lot
Of people, yes, but not to me. Doesn't make me right or them wrong.

Not inferring that one bit. However, I thought you were making a general statement not a personal one. All I was saying is that in general I think that movies fans will consider this a classic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No such thing as a perfect film but I have seen films be nearly perfect. I could probably pick at least one nitpicky thing I didn't like about any film no matter how good. That's all I meant.

Not inferring that one bit. However, I thought you were making a general statement not a personal one. All I was saying is that in general I think that movies fans will consider this a classic.

I think we've gotten too bogged down in semantics. "Classic" vs. "Perfect" films. Ironically, not unlike the debate on the Suns board about "pure" point guards. LOL

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we've gotten too bogged down in semantics. "Classic" vs. "Perfect" films. Ironically, not unlike the debate on the Suns board about "pure" point guards. LOL

was someone trying to make the argument that Nash wasn't a pure PG? He was the very definition of a pure PG.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
was someone trying to make the argument that Nash wasn't a pure PG? He was the very definition of a pure PG.

No, it started with some sort of labeling of Bledsoe and jumped from there. My big question is how many "pure" point guards are currently in the league. I think somebody was trying to correlate the fact that Bledsoe is the 6th highest-paid point guard in the league and someone said he wasn't even top 10 as far as "pure" point guards go.

:hijack:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said Avengers Age of Ultron trailer will debut in theaters for this movie. Another reason why I want to see this. :D

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good but not great. It had long stretches of absolute brilliance, but lost itself to visuals, dragging script and effects in others. A nice once-through viewing without any kind of rewatchability (to coin a new word lol).

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know how to explain this movie. It might be the most schizophrenic movie I've ever watched. I found myself thinking, "WOW", "C'mon", "What?", "Seriously?", "That's freakin' awesome", "WTF??"

It's a bit of Contact, Gravity and The Black Hole (Disney), with a dash of 2001 mixed in. I thought Mcconaughey was good and as a parent it really tugs at the heart strings in a few places.

I'd say half of the science in this scifi is accurate and the other half is completely ridiculous and this won't jive with today's audience. What's odd is that Kip Thorne (i think) was the physicist consultant for the movie. Not sure he'd want his name attached to this now.

I've always liked Hans Zimmer, but he's taken things to a new level by making two organ keys stretch almost 2hrs.

The move moves along with a roller coaster of good, bad and everything in between; then the end goes all Nolan - very cool-stupid-good-dumb.

The movie is worth seeing, but don't go with high expectations. Also, I saw it at imax and would not recommend it because some scenes are so freakin loud you can't understand the dialogue. Although the 70mm shots are phenomenal.

Cinema Sins is going to have a field day with this one. It's a block of swiss cheese.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know how to explain this movie. It might be the most schizophrenic movie I've ever watched. I found myself thinking, "WOW", "C'mon", "What?", "Seriously?", "That's freakin' awesome", "WTF??"

It's a bit of Contact, Gravity and The Black Hole (Disney), with a dash of 2001 mixed in. I thought Mcconaughey was good and as a parent it really tugs at the heart strings in a few places.

I'd say half of the science in this scifi is accurate and the other half is completely ridiculous and this won't jive with today's audience. What's odd is that Kip Thorne (i think) was the physicist consultant for the movie. Not sure he'd want his name attached to this now.

I've always liked Hans Zimmer, but he's taken things to a new level by making two organ keys stretch almost 2hrs.

The move moves along with a roller coaster of good, bad and everything in between; then the end goes all Nolan - very cool-stupid-good-dumb.

The movie is worth seeing, but don't go with high expectations. Also, I saw it at imax and would not recommend it because some scenes are so freakin loud you can't understand the dialogue.

Cinema Sins is going to have a field day with this one. It's a block of swiss cheese.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to take this -- an internet poster vs. a multitude of articles on the web talking about how accurate the science is behind the movie...?

What's your qualifications to speak to the validity of the science? Just curious since you seem very sure of yourself.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure how to take this -- an internet poster vs. a multitude of articles on the web talking about how accurate the science is behind the movie...?

What's your qualifications to speak to the validity of the science? Just curious since you seem very sure of yourself.
I don't know how to explain this w/o giving away any spoilers and I'm no physicist, but...

There's a point in the movie where the cast makes it to their destination and it's at this point that science turns to science fiction. Kip Thorne is one of the foremost experts on relativity, black holes and title forces, (those are your hints ;-)) and this is where it gets frustrating. It feels that Nolan took Thorne's expertise and tossed it out the window in favor of a Hollywood movie. Yet up to this point the science was accurate.
I think science nerds will shred this movie.

The visuals of those hints are probably the most accurate in cinema history, but the actual science is tossed out the window.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know how to explain this w/o giving away any spoilers and I'm no physicist, but...

There's a point in the movie where the cast makes it to their destination and it's at this point that science turns to science fiction. Kip Thorne is one of the foremost experts on relativity, black holes and title forces, (those are your hints ;-)) and this is where it gets frustrating. It feels that Nolan took Thorne's expertise and tossed it out the window in favor of a Hollywood movie. Yet up to this point the science was accurate.
I think science nerds will shred this movie.

The visuals of those hints are probably the most accurate in cinema history, but the actual science is tossed out the window.

Interesting. But let me ask you this. Other than science nerds, will the general moviegoing public care all that much? Obviously you do, so you gotta think they'll care at least a little bit.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. But let me ask you this. Other than science nerds, will the general moviegoing public care all that much? Obviously you do, so you gotta think they'll care at least a little bit.

Probably not :) - just like no one other than Geography nerds cared that Shia Lebouf walked from Egypt to Jordan in a couple hours in the second Transformers movie

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Probably not :) - just like no one other than Geography nerds cared that Shia Lebouf walked from Egypt to Jordan in a couple hours in the second Transformers movie

I'd venture to say that Interstellar is probably a little bit more intelligent than the collective intelligence of all the Transformers movies... :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all of his car commercials, I don't think I can stand to sit through another M McC movie.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We'll see I guess. It'll probably have a good week or two. Maybe I give today's audience more credit than they deserve.

The movie feels like so many different things put together - this is why I call it schizo. Is it a science movie? A scifi movie? A movie about human spirit/nature? A movie about parent/child conflict? Is it a space movie?

And the visuals. As good as they are they're not enough to carry the movie like say Avatar was. That's why I'm having a hard time saying if it was good or bad.

From an entertainment perspective Guardian's is worth the $$ over this. My .02.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We'll see I guess. It'll probably have a good week or two. Maybe I give today's audience more credit than they deserve.

The movie feels like so many different things put together - this is why I call it schizo. Is it a science movie? A scifi movie? A movie about human spirit/nature? A movie about parent/child conflict? Is it a space movie?

And the visuals. As good as they are they're not enough to carry the movie like say Avatar was. That's why I'm having a hard time saying if it was good or bad.

From an entertainment perspective Guardian's is worth the $$ over this. My .02.

One of my favorite Internet critics (who writes very much like Roger Ebert) had this to say about this particular issue:

Interstellar is science fiction. It's not space opera. It's not futuristic fantasy. It's what the term "science fiction" was coined to represent. It presents a viable future in which space travel, while possible, is dangerous and uncertain. Starships aren't zipping from planet to planet. Space craft aren't firing lasers, phasers, or photon torpedoes. Travel across long distances uses the dangerous and unpredictable method of entering a wormhole, not engaging Warp One or making the jump to hyperspace. Time dilation comes into effect in the presence of a black hole and there's even a little bit about the relationship between quantum mechanics and relativity. This isn't Star Wars, Star Trek, or Guardians of the Galaxy, and anyone who approaches it with such expectations will be disappointed. It's more along the lines of recent movies like Contact (which also starred Matthew McConaughey) and Gravity in that it acknowledges science rather than ignoring the rules of reality as we understand them.

He loved the movie, giving it his highest rating:

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2827

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One of my favorite Internet critics (who writes very much like Roger Ebert) had this to say about this particular issue:

Interstellar is science fiction. It's not space opera. It's not futuristic fantasy. It's what the term "science fiction" was coined to represent. It presents a viable future in which space travel, while possible, is dangerous and uncertain. Starships aren't zipping from planet to planet. Space craft aren't firing lasers, phasers, or photon torpedoes. Travel across long distances uses the dangerous and unpredictable method of entering a wormhole, not engaging Warp One or making the jump to hyperspace. Time dilation comes into effect in the presence of a black hole and there's even a little bit about the relationship between quantum mechanics and relativity. This isn't Star Wars, Star Trek, or Guardians of the Galaxy, and anyone who approaches it with such expectations will be disappointed. It's more along the lines of recent movies like Contact (which also starred Matthew McConaughey) and Gravity in that it acknowledges science rather than ignoring the rules of reality as we understand them.
He loved the movie, giving it his highest rating:

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2827
Based on how this film is advertised I can't imagine anyone thinking it's along the lines of Star Wars or any of the movies he listed. Contact, Gravity, 2001 you bet. I said the same.

Thing is, why have one of the brightest minds in physics be an exec producer and consultant for the science aspect only to turn it into a scifi movie?

Why have the first part of the movie follow actual science only to dump that for scifi? Why take our understanding of the dangers of black holes and toss that out the window for a phenomenal visual sequence that turns the black hole into a big bowl of sugar?

For me I was so looking forward to a movie that took all those space and science shows I love on the Science channel, and put them into a relatable story on the big screen matched with amazing visuals.

I still don't know if the movie is good or bad.. It just is.

But I will say the scene with Matt Damon... Nolan nailed it for the audience.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard