OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First theatrical trailer is attached to Godzilla.

Can't wait for November to get here.

:grabs:

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that Nolan continually gives just enough to get your mouth watering for his movies without drowning you with the entire thing in the trailer.

can't wait to see what he's got cooked up this time.

Just watched Batman Begins again last night. That's such a solid movie and franchise restarter. And I can't ever say enough good things about TDK or Inception. TDKR wasn't quite up at the level of those, but it was still pretty damn good and it's ambition for large scale chaos/action with at least a decent amount of smarts (gaping plot holes aside) was pretty impressive. Still though the first hour and twenty minutes of TDKR was pretty spell-binding and then went pretty conventional at the end, but the movies got rewatchability in spades.

basically, I love Christopher Nolan. This is at the top of my list for movies to see this year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This looks good. It's really weird, but they showed this trailer first before Godzilla, and then showed it again after the other trailers, before the movie. I notified the theater folks on the way out. Just strange. Someone made a splicing error :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This looks good. It's really weird, but they showed this trailer first before Godzilla, and then showed it again after the other trailers, before the movie. I notified the theater folks on the way out. Just strange. Someone made a splicing error :)

I was at Godzilla last night, and the didn't show this trailer at all--it was at one of the Arclight's in LA and they showed some Behind-The-Scenes thing for X-Men and a longer trailer for Edge of Tomorrow (which looks good--I have friends that saw an early work print of the movie months ago and raved about it).

Stout

Reaction score
I was at Godzilla last night, and the didn't show this trailer at all--it was at one of the Arclight's in LA and they showed some Behind-The-Scenes thing for X-Men and a longer trailer for Edge of Tomorrow (which looks good--I have friends that saw an early work print of the movie months ago and raved about it).

Yeah, Edge of Tomorrow does look killer. How'd you like Grozeeuh?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, Edge of Tomorrow does look killer. How'd you like Grozeeuh?

I loved it. It's no Citizen Kane, but I thought it was better than Pacific Rim, which is what I would compare it to recently. A lot of great in-jokes from previous Godzilla films too.

It helps also when you have a crowd that is good at responding to what is happening on screen.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Someone made a splicing error :)

Just for the record, there are no more splicing errors...there's no more splicing.

It's all digital on hard drives now.

It was surreal when my son took me into the projection booth at the 25-screen he worked at. I remember having just one projector keeping me warm in the winter time, and making me sweat my butt off in the summer. When I was in his projection booth, with 25 projectors running in August, I felt like I was in a doctor's waiting room; cool and quiet.

Back to the topic at hand...I'm excited to see this. I'm a big time Nolan fanboy.

Stout

Reaction score
I loved it. It's no Citizen Kane, but I thought it was better than Pacific Rim, which is what I would compare it to recently. A lot of great in-jokes from previous Godzilla films too.

It helps also when you have a crowd that is good at responding to what is happening on screen.

Agreed. I mean, I didn't have the same kind of audience, but I agree with you on the movie.

Just for the record, there are no more splicing errors...there's no more splicing.

It's all digital on hard drives now.

It was surreal when my son took me into the projection booth at the 25-screen he worked at. I remember having just one projector keeping me warm in the winter time, and making me sweat my butt off in the summer. When I was in his projection booth, with 25 projectors running in August, I felt like I was in a doctor's waiting room; cool and quiet.

Back to the topic at hand...I'm excited to see this. I'm a big time Nolan fanboy.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I worked as an assistant manager/projectionist at a cheapie theater about ten years ago. I can't feel your winter pain, because we had heat, so it was always just hot up there :)

So, if it's a digital projector, how in the hell did they get the same trailer on it twice?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
So, if it's a digital projector, how in the hell did they get the same trailer on it twice?

It's all easily programmable. The GUI I saw was rather simple; you just select your trailers from a drop-down menu and they would appear in the queue. I can see how it could have been selected twice.

The only real questions is: was it intentional or accidental?

Wow!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: Interstellar is likely to be 2 hours and 49 minutes long.

:grabs:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for this. If it's half as good as the previews suggest....Nolan has done it again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which of course means that it will be one of his many movies that would be better if the editing was a little tighter. I like Nolan a lot, but pretty much all of his last 4 movies needed to be trimmed.

Not surprising coming from you Chap. Your an editor by trade right? Although I don't have a problem with the length of his films I understand. I studied martial arts for almost 10 years and I can tell you that movies with martial arts fighting drive me freaking nuts. My brother actually used to do martial arts choreography for movies with some stunt work for several years but now trains private security and law enforcement. However, we have bagged on many a movie together.

Not surprisingly the movies with the best martial arts are not American movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which of course means that it will be one of his many movies that would be better if the editing was a little tighter. I like Nolan a lot, but pretty much all of his last 4 movies needed to be trimmed.

I agree with you on Dark Knight Rises, but The Dark Knight was perfection for me and I never thought Inception dragged for a minute.

That said... I'm an avowed Nolan-ist, so I'm probably not super objective. What was the fourth movie you were thinking of?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not surprising coming from you Chap. Your an editor by trade right? Although I don't have a problem with the length of his films I understand. I studied martial arts for almost 10 years and I can tell you that movies with martial arts fighting drive me freaking nuts. My brother actually used to do martial arts choreography for movies with some stunt work for several years but now trains private security and law enforcement. However, we have bagged on many a movie together.

Not surprisingly the movies with the best martial arts are not American movies.

Yeah, it's actually very difficult to find that "perfect" movie where everything syncs up. In fact, the only recent ones I can think of that are on that list are the great non-action movies, like Chef and Exotic Marigold Hotel. Editing is extremely difficult in action movies, but editors of action movies tend to be awful at editing their non-action scenes. Even great movies like Avengers aren't perfect.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree with you on Dark Knight Rises, but The Dark Knight was perfection for me and I never thought Inception dragged for a minute.

That said... I'm an avowed Nolan-ist, so I'm probably not super objective. What was the fourth movie you were thinking of?

Begins.

Granted, I still do like his stuff. A lot. The Dark Knight in my opinion is his best big-budget movie, but Memento to me is close to that perfection we're discussing.

I'm not saying they are badly edited, I'm just saying that all of them could have used a trim here and there. I disagree about Inception, I think that one is the one that could have benefitted the most from trimming. DKR is hampered by a bad script, so I'm not sure trimming would have helped all that much.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's actually very difficult to find that "perfect" movie where everything syncs up. In fact, the only recent ones I can think of that are on that list are the great non-action movies, like Chef and Exotic Marigold Hotel. Editing is extremely difficult in action movies, but editors of action movies tend to be awful at editing their non-action scenes. Even great movies like Avengers aren't perfect.

The pacing in the first 40 minutes of the Avengers was slow as sin for me. Was a rocket ship from there, but the beginning is what keeps that movie from being an all-time classic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The pacing in the first 40 minutes of the Avengers was slow as sin for me. Was a rocket ship from there, but the beginning is what keeps that movie from being an all-time classic.

You hit the nail on the head there. Just like you are able to spot a lot of subtle writing problems that the layman probably wouldn't (and let's face it, writing is IMO probably the biggest problem with Hollywood movies nowadays), I'm like that with the editing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry despite any technical problems with Avengers....it will be considered an all time classic. Most comic book fans already are calling it that. Critics loved it, fans loved it, it reached an audience that went beyond comic book nerds. Any ensemble film that comes after it (like Justice League) will be compared to it.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry despite any technical problems with Avengers....it will be considered an all time classic. Most comic book fans already are calling it that. Critics loved it, fans loved it, it reached an audience that went beyond comic book nerds. Any ensemble film that comes after it (like Justice League) will be compared to it.

But is it a "perfect" movie? There are lots of classics that aren't perfect.