Interesting Comments

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm staying out of this as I really have nothing to empart on this series or the end fo this era other then this....

1) I knew the Kurt Thomas trade was bad but I never in a million years guessed it would come back to haunt us like that

2) I would rather have Joe Johnson then anyone on this team. Period.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He improved his helpside defense so they would be wrong and you CAN blame them.

he helped one area marginally and seem to fall off the face of earth everywhere else, especially in his man to man D. Overall, his D was worse. I don't see how anyone can argue that point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm staying out of this as I really have nothing to empart on this series or the end fo this era other then this....

1) I knew the Kurt Thomas trade was bad but I never in a million years guessed it would come back to haunt us like that

I never understood how so many people could think that trade wouldn't have a big effect on this team and that Brian Skinner could make up the difference.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
he helped one area marginally and seem to fall off the face of earth everywhere else, especially in his man to man D. Overall, his D was worse. I don't see how anyone can argue that point.
He fell off the face of the earth everywhere else? The other parts of his defense were pretty much exactly the same. He gave up career highs to guys last year at the center position and he did the same this year at the center position. One could even argue he was a better all around this year becuase he didnt have to face centers when Shaq came therefore his defense looked better.

But keep on making up ****. :biglaugh:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Typical fan. Were you saying this before game 4 of the bos/atl series?:doi:

Check your facts right Mr 170 posts....

I am the biggest Joe Johnson fan/apologist on this website bar none.

I loved Joe when he was here, loved his game when he went to ATL, and loved what he brings well before Game 4....that was just positive reinforcement for what I have been contending for years..

But don't let facts get in the way of your thought process champ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He fell off the face of the earth everywhere else? The other parts of his defense were pretty much exactly the same. He gave up career highs to guys last year at the center position and he did the same this year at the center position. One could even argue he was a better all around this year becuase he didnt have to face centers when Shaq came therefore his defense looked better.

But keep on making up ****. :biglaugh:

he was down half a rebound in more time on the court from 9.6 to 9.1. that's pretty weak and forgive if I'm wrong, but I never remember Amare just getting beyond abused on D like he did this year, which is why you won't find ANY posts from last year of me saying anything like I'm saying this year.

and one could argue he was better this year? Who could argue that besides you?

i'll agree to disagree before you call me an idiot or accuse me of making stuff up again. no reason to continue this conversation because that's all that's coming.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Check your facts right Mr 170 posts....

I am the biggest Joe Johnson fan/apologist on this website bar none.

I loved Joe when he was here, loved his game when he went to ATL, and loved what he brings well before Game 4....that was just positive reinforcement for what I have been contending for years..

But don't let facts get in the way of your thought process champ;)
Oh so you arent overreacting, you are just a moron. :lmao:

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
he was down half a rebound in more time on the court from 9.6 to 9.1. that's pretty weak and forgive if I'm wrong, but I never remember Amare just getting beyond abused on D like he did this year, which is why you won't find ANY posts from last year of me saying anything like I'm saying this year.

i'll agree to disagree before you call me an idiot or accuse me of making stuff up again. no reason to continue this conversation because that's all that's coming.
6.9 defensive rebounds last year
6.9 defensive rebounds this year

So much for that argument.

No need to agree to disagree. You just cant take a little of your own medicine. Instead of constructive critisicm you want to resort to calling players idiots/etc. Then when someone comes back at you, you curl up into a ball.

I'm done here. Got my point across and its only a matter of time before Chris Sanders bans ME for hurling insults. Back to insidehoops, where I can actually have decent conversation with Suns fans and other teams fans on the main board.

Get at me if you ever need another one of these from me. :slap:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Gotta love this guy, eh cheese?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Lets face it, Boris at SF is not a permanent answer to anything as long as D'Antoni is coaching the team. To begin with the reason he loves Diaw is that he can play small ball with him at PF or C. And it worked as well as it did against the Spurs because Pops likes to use smaller players at SF - Bowen, Fins and Ginobli. (At least he does with the current cast he has to work with.) Not many teams around the league are structured so Boris could wreak damage at SF night in and night out - assuming he would play aggressively on anything resembling that frequency.

Heck, the only reason it came up was that we were drastically shorthanded at SF once Hill was unable to go. IMO he's much better at SF than Boris on a regular basis. He's not the force posting up, but he was what gave the offense the variety it so desperately needs.

Its also my opinion that D'Antoni killed any chance the Suns had of succeeding in the playoffs when he kept playing Hill once the groin problem surfaced - on top of playing him too many minutes all season instead of taking a conservative course with an oft injured player. (Not that wasting the first ten games with Shaq trying to get him to play at high post, didn't contribute to the failure.)

I can't argue against Amare being a knucklehead with rotten defensive instincts but thats dwarfed by D'Antoni's idiocies. Not that Mike is literally an idiot but his being wedded to a basketball philosophy that he developed in leagues with short games, short seasons and no playoff series, has him using his mental powers on the wrong game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets face it, Boris at SF is not a permanent answer to anything as long as D'Antoni is coaching the team. To begin with the reason he loves Diaw is that he can play small ball with him at PF or C. And it worked as well as it did against the Spurs because Pops likes to use smaller players at SF - Bowen, Fins and Ginobli. (At least he does with the current cast he has to work with.) Not many teams around the league are structured so Boris could wreak damage at SF night in and night out - assuming he would play aggressively on anything resembling that frequency.

Heck, the only reason it came up was that we were drastically shorthanded at SF once Hill was unable to go. IMO he's much better at SF than Boris on a regular basis. He's not the force posting up, but he was what gave the offense the variety it so desperately needs.

Its also my opinion that D'Antoni killed any chance the Suns had of succeeding in the playoffs when he kept playing Hill once the groin problem surfaced - on top of playing him too many minutes all season instead of taking a conservative course with an oft injured player. (Not that wasting the first ten games with Shaq trying to get him to play at high post, didn't contribute to the failure.)

I can't argue against Amare being a knucklehead with rotten defensive instincts but thats dwarfed by D'Antoni's idiocies. Not that Mike is literally an idiot but his being wedded to a basketball philosophy that he developed in leagues with short games, short seasons and no playoff series, has him using his mental powers on the wrong game.

that's all incredibly well put.

OP
OP
WuRaider

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
2) I would rather have Joe Johnson then anyone on this team. Period.

Even though Nash was kicking ass, mgt should have known that Amare/JJ were going to be the future. That's the only bad thing about Nash's abilities. It creates an illusion that players are only good or as good because of Nash. Either the staff didn't see JJ becoming the player he is today or they're just a bunch of morons.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
JJ was awesome. Getting rid of him was just one of the most regrettable decisions I think management will ever face. Honestly, it was the first of a bunch of moves to come in the next few years. What I'm talking about are the draft picks and the bad decisions with those. Either way, getting rid of JJ was a huge mistake. It was very unfortunate something couldn't have been agreed upon by the two parties.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
amare said the same thing last year and came back as the worst defensive player on the entire team... even worse than Nash, which shouldn't even be physically possible, but comically was.
Clearly Amare needs to improve his defensive abilities. He needs some good mentoring. I highly recommend this Magic Johnson instructional video to help him with his post defense.

"To be the best, you have to learn from the best"

http://www.sportskool.com/videos/post-defense

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't disagree that running the offense through Diaw played into the Spurs hands. If I was Pops, I'd be happy to give Diaw 20 in a methodical post-up game and keep Amare and Nash from dictating the tempo. Any time a team is willing to go away from its strength, I count it as a strategic win. Can you imagine how happy teams would be to let Lamar post up and pour in 20-25 and keep the ball out of Kobe's hands?? That said, the beauty of the Spurs is that Parker, Manu and Duncan take turns putting the dagger in. Duncan deferred to the other two most of the series, willingly contributing in other areas and hitting big shots when needed. Amare has to learn to do the same. "The Man" has enough confidence and saavy to know that deferring to others for periods helps both the team and himself.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly Amare needs to improve his defensive abilities. He needs some good mentoring. I highly recommend this Magic Johnson instructional video to help him with his post defense.

"To be the best, you have to learn from the best"

http://www.sportskool.com/videos/post-defense

Magic was never known for stellar defense. It was the weakest part of his game. Is there a michael cooper video?:)

cly2tw

Reaction score

What's so frustrating to watch is that DA always seems to get forced into resorting to some last fallback options, which always seems work quite well but not enough to turn it around. Diaw his year, Kurt T last year. These are actually all options, weapons that conceivably could be needed in playoffs, yet DA never work on them in regular seasons. That's direct complaints by Amare and Nash in recent comments. He always preaches that we don't match up, the other teams have to match up with us.

And he is just myopic and stubborn to play Hill with the injury in almost meaningless final regular season games, or playing him as long as he did, and the same with not playing Kurt and givng him away.

We had enough talent to win if well prepared for the post season. Yet, we are just not prepared at all, under DA.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Magic was never known for stellar defense. It was the weakest part of his game. Is there a michael cooper video?:)
I think you missed the irony and the joke. You gotta watch the video, or at least the first two minutes...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed all this from baylesstobudinger. Hopefully he will be a bit nicer when he gets back.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Good lord, the infatuation with Joe Johnson is out of control. Yes, the Suns should have kept him for an affordable contract when they had the chance, but he is definitely not a max-caliber player now. He had one good quarter against the Celtics and everyone thinks he's the second coming. Where has he been the rest of the season? What did he do down the stretch when Atlanta was gunning for a playoff berth? He's the third most important player on that team behind Smith and Horford.