Instead of trading down …

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would 100% be willing to move up but not sure top 10 is necessary maybe top 15 with all QBs and OT likely to be taken. We have plenty of capitol.

I was looking at mocks and had a daydream about trading up to 10 to add both Odunze and MHJ.

Then I got serious and started thinking guard or edge. :p

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the trade value chart says #27 + #71 gets you to 17 / 18 / 19

#27+#66+#104 gets you to #15 Indy and ahead of SEA --

it feels like the top 3 edge guys are a cut above the next few: Turner, Verse and Latu

a pick in the 15-18 range probably gets you the last one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd REALLY have to see how the draft panned out before making that decision. I think the draft is top 8-10 heavy, and then it drops down dramatically. (meaning there isn't a lot between the players ranked 10-30 for example) If the right player was there, possibly.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I was looking at mocks and had a daydream about trading up to 10 to add both Odunze and MHJ.

Then I got serious and started thinking guard or edge. :p

I mean, getting MJH and Odunze? Could we even dare to hope for that?

Could any NFL defense stop our offense with Conner, MHJ, McBride Odunze, Wilson, K1, etc?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Would you get nuts and trade 27 and extras to move up into the top 10?

Who would you target?

What would you be willing to give up?
I personally feel 27 is a no-man's-land spot right now so I would be comfortable moving either up or down. Moving just depends on how many 1st round prospects you feel there are and what the cost is to move up to get the last ones available. Some of this will depend on how many OL and WRs go early as that would push some defensive positions down. If the Cardinals are trading up, they are likely targeting a defensive player. CB is probably most likely to fall but who knows.

I have about 22ish guys who I think are in a first round tier. The problem is only 12 of those are non QB/OL, and 5 of those 12 are WRs.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I would trade up if there is a player they think is a difference maker in the late teens or early 20's.

In fact, I'm kind of expecting it.

11 rookies is a lot to take on in a single class and I expect then will use 2-3 picks to move up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, I would trade up if there is a player they think is a difference maker in the late teens or early 20's.

In fact, I'm kind of expecting it.

11 rookies is a lot to take on in a single class and I expect then will use 2-3 picks to move up.
What do you think the list of options are?

Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Byron Murphy
Terrion Arnold
Quinyon Mitchell

That is probably my guess. Maybe Latu but it depends on how they evaluate his injury medicals. I feel Wiggins is too close to Rakestraw and McKinstry to move up for him. I don't feel Newton is dynamic enough of a player to trade up for. Maybe Fuaga if they move PJJ and Will to the left side, and are good with playing Fuaga at RG until he takes over from Jonah at RT (if they plan to play Jonah at RT).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Byron Murphy
Terrion Arnold
Quinyon Mitchell

That is probably my guess. Maybe Latu but it depends on how they evaluate his injury medicals. I feel Wiggins is too close to Rakestraw and McKinstry to move up for him. I don't feel Newton is dynamic enough of a player to trade up for. Maybe Fuaga if they move PJJ and Will to the left side, and are good with playing Fuaga at RG until he takes over from Jonah at RT (if they plan to play Jonah at RT).
I just don't see Monti going non trenches with both 1st rd picks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just don't see Monti going non trenches with both 1st rd picks.
IMO, a 1st round OL kinda goes out the window after paying Jonah Williams. Also, you have to take the board as it comes. There is only one 1st round DT IMO, and two 1st round EDGE guys (if I exclude Latu as an unknown). That said, the top 3 WRs are probably all better prospects than those players.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
If Verse or Turner fell outside the top 10 I’m all for being aggressive and moving up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the sweet spot in this draft is rounds 2 and 3. Also early 4. Really nice options at RB, WR, IOL, OT, DT, LB, DB.
Yep, which is why I'm still happy with the trade last year, even though Texans 1st round pick hurts.

If MHJ is gone, I'd do it again in a heartbeat to collect these picks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, a 1st round OL kinda goes out the window after paying Jonah Williams. Also, you have to take the board as it comes.
I agree.
There is only one 1st round DT IMO, and two 1st round EDGE guys (if I exclude Latu as an unknown). That said, the top 3 WRs are probably all better prospects than those players.
If Latu is there in the late teens, I'm making calls.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Byron Murphy
Terrion Arnold
Quinyon Mitchell

I'm not concerned about Latu. He's played 2 years since his neck injury. I would have him on the list.

I'm not sure they would trade up for a corner. They have a bunch of young guys and just signed SMB. I'm not sure they will be hot enough on anyone to trade up.

My guess would be the list is relatively small with mainly the 3 Edge guys Verse, Turner and Latu.

I'd like to think the OT's are still on the board because we have no depth and it's a great class, but Williams contract is locked in for 2 years. Maybe someone like Fautanu though who is being touted as a Guard but also looks very good at tackle.

I've not heard anything about them liking Sweat, but plenty about them liking Newton. So maybe a small trade up for Newton if they fear he might go before? I could see them trading up to the early 20's if they love him.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Don’t forget about OL….you know we really haven’t improved it at all!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth I think the top 3 Edge guys go before they fall far enough.

Falcons are obvious. Minny are strong for Edge if they don't move up with literally only Greenard and Van Ginkel worth anything on that roster. Chargers lose both Mack and Bosa next year. Bears have nothing opposite Sweat.

I could see all 3 gone by the early teens because next years Edge class looks very meh.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you get nuts and trade 27 and extras to move up into the top 10?

Who would you target?

What would you be willing to give up?

Nope I like this idea better:

Vikings give #11, #23 2025 2nd and we take:

Edge Verse at #11
WR Thomas at #23
DT Murphy at #27

That's from Jeremiah's mock

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, a 1st round OL kinda goes out the window after paying Jonah Williams. Also, you have to take the board as it comes. There is only one 1st round DT IMO, and two 1st round EDGE guys (if I exclude Latu as an unknown). That said, the top 3 WRs are probably all better prospects than those players.

OL is out at #4 but I wouldn't have any heartburn if they went OL with the #27 overall pick. If an OT that they like drops or a stud IOL is there why not take one? Or you trade back with someone itching to move up for OL help. Pretty much every team needs help along the OL so there should be plenty of trade partners.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think you almost have to. No sense in signing all these depth guys in free agency if you don’t take some swings to get the “big John’s” in the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard