Insider 1/13/2005 Who's in, Who's out for team USA

sunsfn

Reaction score
Updated: Jan. 13, 2006, 1:19 PM ET
Who's in, who's out for Team USA

By Chris Sheridan

Team USA will be stocked, that's for sure. Whether it blends into a cohesive unit that can restore American basketball dominance is a question that remains to be answered.
National team czar Jerry Colangelo told ESPN.com he has been "stunned' by the level of interest he has received in more than two dozen face-to-face interviews with players he wants to put on the national team roster.

With another six or seven meetings still to take place, Colangelo said he has received 18 solid commitments. In addition, agents for seven other players have called Colangelo to say their clients are eager to sacrifice their next three summers to take part in what Colangelo describes as his "mission" -- the effort to build a national team capable of winning gold medals at the 2006 World Championship in Japan and the 2008 Beijing Olympics in China.
Colangelo plans to announce a core group of players, as few as four and as many as eight, sometime around the All-Star break. Formal invitations eventually will be extended to 20 to attend training camp in Las Vegas in mid-July. The World Championship will run from Aug. 19 to Sept. 3, with the U.S. team playing its opening-round games in the northern city of Sapporo, with the opponents to be determined by draw on Sunday.
The United States is coming off disappointing finishes in the last two major international tournaments, a bronze medal showing at the Athens Olympics and a sixth-place failure at the 2002 World Championship in Indianapolis.
In Colangelo's meetings thus far with 25 players, some have expressed surprise that they might actually have to go through what would amount to a tryout. Colangelo has told players he's not forcing anyone to do anything, but anyone who believes it would be beneath him to fight for a roster spot won't be welcome. Colangelo is also laying down a few laws, such as banning families and entourages during the opening round of the World Championship and pretournament trips to China and South Korea.
"I think the response I've had has been stunning, and I think it's a compliment to our NBA players' buying into the philosophy of playing for their country," Colangelo said. "Pride is a factor, because they're not happy with where USA Basketball is at the moment, and they want to change that."
Colangelo would not divulge which players have given him their word, although public comments and Insider insight have combined to produce a reading on where more than 50 of the top American players stand:
Ray Allen: The best pure shooter holding a U.S. passport is one of the last players Colangelo will meet with. Played for U.S. in 2000 and 2003, withdrew from 2004 team due to security concerns. Might have a hard time coexisting peacefully with Kobe Bryant.

Carmelo Anthony: Colangelo said everyone starts with a clean slate, and he did not hold Anthony's complaints about playing time in Athens against him. The three-year commitment is giving Anthony pause, but he was one of the first players Colangelo sought out.
Gilbert Arenas: On board and eager judging by his public comments, the NBA's fourth-leading scorer is a strong favorite to be on the team heading to Japan.
Shane Battier: Wants to play, and it can't hurt that he spent four years at Duke under new U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski.
Mike Bibby: Strangely, there seems to be no interest in the player Larry Brown wanted to beg back onto the Athens team when it was stumbling through its pre-Olympic tour.
Chauncey Billups: Met with Colangelo on Tuesday in Oklahoma City, as did teammates Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince. Coach Flip Saunders has lobbied for Billups, saying his combination of strength and shooting would be perfect for the international game.
Bruce Bowen: On the bubble. The last two roster spots likely will be filled with role players, and the player who guards Manu Ginobili in practice every day is an intriguing candidate.
Carlos Boozer: Out all season with an injured hamstring, it's clear that this member of the Athens team won't be wearing red, white and blue this summer.
Chris Bosh: With the ability to play inside and outside on both offense and defense, Bosh is seen as a perfect fit for the U.S. team. Count on seeing him in Japan.
Elton Brand: Another player who withdrew from the Athens team due to security concerns, Brand might be regretting that decision. He has indicated he'd like to wear the USA jersey again.

Kobe Bryant: Knee surgery kept him off the 2003 U.S. Olympic qualifying team, and a sexual-assault trial forced him to withdraw from the 2004 team. He's in -- and gung ho -- for 2006 and 2008.
Vince Carter: The best player on the 2002 team, he has not yet met with Colangelo. His best dunk ever came while wearing a USA uniform when he jumped over 7-2 Frederic Weis of France during the Sydney Olympics.
Marcus Camby: Another on the short list of players who will meet with Colangelo soon. Was playing like the NBA's best center before getting hurt last month, and the Americans need a shot blocker and rebounder who can defend China's Yao Ming, Australia's Andrew Bogut, Argentina's Fabricio Oberto and Serbia's Nenad Krstic, among others.
Baron Davis: A member of the 2002 U.S. team that lost to Argentina, Yugoslavia and Spain, he'd like another chance. But with Billups and Jason Kidd seeming to be held in higher esteem, he appears to be somewhat a long shot.
Tim Duncan: Infuriated at the way international referees treated him during the Olympics, his parting words as he left Athens were "FIBA sucks." His agent has already informed Colangelo that Duncan will not be participating.
T.J. Ford: An intriguing candidate, but too young and too raw to be given serious consideration. Perhaps in 2010 when the World Championship is held in Turkey.
Steve Francis: Top USA Basketball officials have never been all that enamored with his game or his character, and he remains off their radar. His suspension this week won't get him any closer to Beijing.
Channing Frye: One of the players Colangelo wants to have on a scout team that would scrimmage the national team in Las Vegas.
Kevin Garnett: Not interested in doing it again after winning a gold medal in Sydney.
Ben Gordon: The U.S. federation is not interested yet, but the British federation is. Gordon and teammate Luol Deng are toying with the idea of playing for Great Britain, with Steve Nash potentially as their coach, when England gets an automatic berth as host of the 2012 Olympics.
Richard Hamilton: Rip still has bad memories of his time with the U.S. Olympic qualifying team in 1999 when he sprained his ankle and did not play. For that reason, he might be on the fence.
Kirk Hinrich: There are some folks at USA Basketball who love him, others who believe he's not ready confidence-wise. A long shot.
Dwight Howard: The youngster is said to be super eager for a chance to play, and Colangelo has made it clear he sees Howard as one of the long-term pieces of his project. Might have to play his way onto the Japan roster if he gets an invite to training camp in Vegas.
Allen Iverson: Some in the USA Basketball hierarchy were skeptical about him going into the 2004 Olympics, but he won many of them over with his genuine passion for representing his country. Wants to play again.
LeBron James: His Olympic experience in 2004 was not a good one, and his behavior and attitude were bigger problems than the public realized. In the end, however, it will go down as a good learning experience for James, who has told Colangelo he's on board.

Antawn Jamison: His struggles this season for Washington wouldn't figure to be helping him, but he's said to be under consideration.
Richard Jefferson: Played poorly for the U.S. team in Athens but wants to redeem himself. The type of first-class citizen USA Basketball has typically tried to get, but the memory of his inability to hit an open 20-footer has stuck in the heads of many U.S. federation officials.
Joe Johnson: This would be an awkward selection if Colangelo made it, given the circumstances of Johnson's departure from Colangelo's Phoenix Suns. But if bygones are truly bygones, Joe J may have a shot.
Jason Kidd: Has said he's very intrigued by the possibility of wearing the red, white and blue again. Was an integral part of the 2000 team in Sydney, the only player on that roster who knew the details of the disputed U.S. loss to the Soviet Union at the 1972 Munich Games. If he's chosen, it would impact the type of players that would be selected to surround him.
Kyle Korver: One of the game's best shooters, but too deficient in other areas to draw consideration.
Rashard Lewis: Wants to be in the mix, but it's unclear whether Colangelo has a mutual interest.
Stephon Marbury: Set the U.S. Olympic scoring record of 31 points against Spain in the Athens semifinals, but isn't believed to be on the list of players being considered for 2006.
Shawn Marion: A member of the 2004 and 2006 teams, he's a Colangelo favorite and likely will be playing for the U.S. in Japan.
Adam Morrison: Scout team candidate.
Tracy McGrady: Hasn't yet met with Colangelo but has said publicly that he does not believe his chronically injured back could take the wear and tear of a three-year commitment. Enjoyed his experience with the 2003 U.S. team that qualified for the Olympics at a tournament in Puerto Rico, but backed out without much of an excuse in 2004.
Brad Miller: Was a member of the 1998 U.S. team that competed in the World Championship in Greece during the NBA lockout, and has a style of play well suited to the international game. His agent has called Colangelo to state Miller's interest.
Greg Oden: Scout team candidate.
Lamar Odom: Is expected to meet with Colangelo later this month, and has said he'd like to represent the U.S. again. Was one of the more consistent performers for the 2004 Athens team.
Emeka Okafor: The only member of the 2004 team who failed to score a point in Athens, even when the team kept running plays for him in the fourth quarter of a blowout over Angola. Apparently not being considered for 2006.
Jermaine O'Neal: For reasons that remain unclear, O'Neal and Colangelo failed to keep a scheduled meeting. O'Neal has said publicly that a three-year commitment would be too taxing physically, but he still plans to talk things over with Colangelo.
Shaquille O'Neal: Hasn't played for the U.S. since 1996, but now says he's seriously thinking about doing it again. His presence alone would be a huge statement, but he'd have to be teammates with Kobe again.
Chris Paul: Scout team candidate.
Paul Pierce: Has repeatedly stated publicly that he wants a chance to redeem himself after being part of the 2002 debacle, and Colangelo has assured Pierce he'll get consideration. Expect the two to meet soon.
J.J. Redick: Scout team candidate.
Michael Redd: Many felt he should have been added to the 2004 Athens team, which needed shooters but added Okafor for the 12th roster spot. If Ray Allen declines to play, it's almost imperative that Redd be on the U.S. team. The Americans likely will see a steady diet of zone defenses, as they did in Athens. "We kept our zone packed inside the foul line," Lithuania's Sarunas Jasikevicius recalled.
Jason Richardson: Apparently not being considered.
Amare Stoudemire: Wants to play again after being buried on Larry Brown's bench in 2004, but it's hard to see his being included on the 2006 team so soon after having knee surgery. Look for him in Beijing, though.
Wally Szczerbiak: Colangelo plans to speak to him to gauge his interest.
Dwyane Wade: A person who has spoken to Wade described him as "98 percent" certain he'll rejoin the national team. He was the backup point guard behind Marbury in Athens.
Ben Wallace: His style of play is not suited to the international game, which was plain to anyone who watched him play on the 2002 team. He has improved his shooting since then, but it's still highly unlikely he'll play for the U.S. again.
Rasheed Wallace: Apparently not being considered.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we have:

PG: Billups, Iverson
SG: Kobe, Arenas
SF: Lebron, Marion
PF: Amare, Bosh
C: Camby, Miller

The starting 5 is so athletic it's crazy.

hooper

Reaction score
Can Chris Sheridan ever get anything right? I can't believe that ESPN charges for this stuff.

Richard Hamilton didn't sprain his ankle in '99; he broke his foot during the '98 U.S. World tryouts (I should know -- it nearly gave those of us in Husky nation heart failure). Ray Allen didn't miss the '04 Olympics because of safety concerns; he pulled out because the timing coincided with the birth of his child.

You'd think Disney would be able to afford a fact checker.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the UofA alums in the NBA can field a USA B team? Will be interesting to see how many Wildcats make the team.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
So we have:

PG: Billups, Iverson
SG: Kobe, Arenas
SF: Lebron, Marion
PF: Amare, Bosh
C: Camby, Miller

The starting 5 is so athletic it's crazy.

I'd move Amare to C, and put Marion as the starting PF. But hey, thats just cause I want to see as much Suns love as possible!

Also, we do need Ray Allen or Michael Redd, shooters are very important. I hope we can get both. With those ten you have listed plus Allen and Redd, we'd be set. Though perhaps a little thing up front, but it seems like that doesnt matter as much in the international game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amazing how many people are excluding Dawayne Wade from their lineups. Kobe's good, but I'd start Wade at SG.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
This is a starting lineup that I think could work:

Billups - PG
Kobe - SG
Bruce Bowen - SF
Elton Brand - PF
Camby - C

If we go all athletic/points/superstars we might run into trouble. Bowen is getting the job done on defense and everyone else on there has been having remarkable seasons.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CaptainInsano said:
This is a starting lineup that I think could work:

Billups - PG
Kobe - SG
Bruce Bowen - SF
Elton Brand - PF
Camby - C

If we go all athletic/points/superstars we might run into trouble. Bowen is getting the job done on defense and everyone else on there has been having remarkable seasons.
i dont think that bowen's style of D (fouling) would translate well in the international play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i dont think that bowen's style of D (fouling) would translate well in the international play.

Why have Bowen on the team? His defense is good, but he's one-dimensional. Shawn Marion might not be as good a defender as Bowen, but he's pretty close and adds A LOT more than Bowen does.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Why have Bowen on the team? His defense is good, but he's one-dimensional. Shawn Marion might not be as good a defender as Bowen, but he's pretty close and adds A LOT more than Bowen does.
i wouldnt want to have him on the team at all. i think that the only reason he gets any respect at all is because he is on the spurs. i think that marion is a way better no contact defender which is what you need in international play.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
After tonight, I'm inclinded to put LeBron on the team. That was an incredible preformance.

Are you telling me that you didn't want him on the team before this game???

He has been doing this stuff all season, and showed a lot of it last season too. Hell, after his rookie season you could tell he had the all around game that would translate into any league.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should have had a smiley face. In any case, LeBron has clearly elevated his game to a level where I'd be inclined to start him ahead of Kobe.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In any case, LeBron has clearly elevated his game to a level where I'd be inclined to start him ahead of Kobe.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. James hasn't shown he can win. Tonight he had another monster line in the box score -- and another loss. Both Hughes and Marshall, big-time scorers the last couple of years, have had a (relatively) terrible season with James as a new teammate. He puts up good assist numbers, but I'm not convinced that he sees the whole game yet.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
In any case, LeBron has clearly elevated his game to a level where I'd be inclined to start him ahead of Kobe.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. James hasn't shown he can win. Tonight he had another monster line in the box score -- and another loss. Both Hughes and Marshall, big-time scorers the last couple of years, have had a (relatively) terrible season with James as a new teammate. He puts up good assist numbers, but I'm not convinced that he sees the whole game yet.

I'm not convinced that's his problem. The real problem with the Cavs is that their defense is very poor even when they had Huges. Opponents shoot 45.6%. I would guess that LeBron is not as good as Kobe defensively, so that might be a good counter to LeBron.

However, I don't think the Cavs supporting staff is that strong. Ilgauskas is too slow to be a good defender and they don't have a true point guard (Snow had just 4 assists). Their "offense" tonight was mostly just giving the ball to LeBron to go one on one or pass to to Ilgauskas.

It is hard to imagine how good LeBron would be if he was on the Suns and had a Steve Nash running the offense.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The real problem with the Cavs is that their defense is very poor even when they had Huges.

Maybe, but with Hughes and Marshall, the offense should be a lot better than it is.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'd much rather have LeBron than Kobe on the Olympic team. LeBrons game is multi dimensional, unlike Kobe's. Whats Kobe good at? Scoring. LeBron on the other hand can score just as easily, but also rebound and put up good assist numbers. Plus, I feel like team USA should be putting not only the best players, but the best people on the court, and Kobe certainly doesnt fit that bill.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Kobe is also a lockdown defender, and his other numbers are not far off from LBJ...

Lebron gets 6 apg and 6.4 rpg
Kobe gets 4.4 apg and 5.6 rpg

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In my opinion, James's assist numbers are inflated because he handles the ball 80% of the time. So far I'd still rather have Bryant.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Kobe's defense is more overrated than James' passing. Regardless, they'll be starting at SG and SF in the Olympics.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gilbert Arenas was the PG for that team. Gil has one major advantage over Billups and anybody who played for the U.S. in 2004: he doesn't need to be standing on the 3pt line to be comfortable shooting the three. He's also in the Kobe/LeBron/Wade class of athletes.

(It would be nice to get a true playmaker for the U.S., but I don't see who it would be.)

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Shawn Marion start at PF, since D'Antoni will be doing the heavy lifting, coaching-wise. And since JC is picking the team, Amare should get special treatment, i.e. they won't force him to show up in 2006 or 2007. I expect Amare and Dwight Howard will be the centers in 2008, but Howard might start if he has 'seniority'.

It looks like Dwyane Wade might not show up, and I think that will be more likely when he sees how things are shaking out. Iverson will probably get in despite his game--because he's demonstrated so much interest and commitment--and Melo will get a chance to prove his 'team spirit' by coming off the bench. :)

Joe Johnson should definitely get an invite. I guess we'll see whether JC is willing to let bygones be bygones...

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
One on one no team is a match for the USA.
I think the name of the starter is less important that the team chemistry.

This is not the allstar game.

If USA don't take the time to learn how to play together, they may loose even with allstars on all positions.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
mathbzh said:
One on one no team is a match for the USA.
I think the name of the starter is less important that the team chemistry.

This is not the allstar game.

If USA don't take the time to learn how to play together, they may loose even with allstars on all positions.
I doubt you'll find anybody here who'll argue against that. :)

To me, there are two reasons for hope: D'Antoni and the three-year commitment. I think D'Antoni will make an outstanding Olympics coach, and I think he'll have most of the input in coaching decisions in 2008, even if Krzyzewski is the name on the front.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
When discussing the Cavs season and struggles don't forget to mention Damon Jones' season thus far.

He's got a 7% decline in his 3 point shooting and 8% in field goal shooting.

This season he has shot 88/237. With 66/183 from 3. That's right all but 54 of his shots are from 3.
================

I was really hoping Chris Paul would be named as a PG. He would be a great playmaker to have on the squad. But it looks like he is destined for the practice squad being assembled to battle the Olympians.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Louis said:
I was really hoping Chris Paul would be named as a PG. He would be a great playmaker to have on the squad. But it looks like he is destined for the practice squad being assembled to battle the Olympians.

I think that is the best case for him. There is no need to throw him out there too early, but this way he gets to stay involved and knows he will get his shot when the Olympics come.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson