Indy Rumor from a Good Source - Cards not active in Free Agency due to trading down

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
IMO the front office shouldn't be making any press releases about how they wished they could have resigned so and so...That just makes them sound like a petty jilted ex lover.

By staying silent, it tells me they were A-Ok letting them walk...that they are replaceable, which they really are. Were they nice? Yes...Were they dominant at their position? Nope.

Should they be looking to move on from Ertz and Conner? Probably. Each of them, though, may have value to another team via trade. I think you keep them around, as long as possible...even up to trade deadline. Heck, that's how the Cards got Ertz in the 1st place. They monitored him for weeks/months until Philly was ready to pull the trigger at whatever price.
In another season, where we have a solid team, a good roster, young talent pushing to get game time, yes. Now? No. They were two of our best players, they were good players, and they were young and in the just hitting top form phase of their careers. When tearing down a bad team and rooting out the rot, you really, really need to not let pieces like this walk. While they may be replaceable for good teams, we either need to waste picks to replace them and pray the picks are at least as good, or spend FA resources to replace them. IMO neither way will we be instantly even as good as we were, let alone better, and we will be wasting picks/cap space better used elsewhere.

In other words, don't stupidly allow gaping holes on your already putrid roster to open up. Just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I was very mad about losing Allen/Murphy but I am over it now.
Zach more than Murphy for me but it’s over now. But I’m going to wait an see what the plan is before freaking out. Not happy at the moment.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
IMO the front office shouldn't be making any press releases about how they wished they could have resigned so and so...That just makes them sound like a petty jilted ex lover.

By staying silent, it tells me they were A-Ok letting them walk...that they are replaceable, which they really are. Were they nice? Yes...Were they dominant at their position? Nope.

Should they be looking to move on from Ertz and Conner? Probably. Each of them, though, may have value to another team via trade. I think you keep them around, as long as possible...even up to trade deadline. Heck, that's how the Cards got Ertz in the 1st place. They monitored him for weeks/months until Philly was ready to pull the trigger at whatever price.
There is a lot of room between replaceable and dominant. That is the above-replacement group. Both Allen and Murphy were above-replacement level players.

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
They will always be the Redskins... do I hate the Washington Redskin/Commander/Football Team? Nah, but you won't seem me rooting for them on any given Sunday lol
How I miss Those days when there were little if any politics in the game they just went out and played the game

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kiper is projecting Indy trade w/Cards getting 2nd & 3rd
Fair value in the case they want to draft Anderson
Cardinals has leverage and can get a better haul from teams behind Indy so indy is forced to offer more then the value chart

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking multiple trade downs.

I can see us trading with Indy and trading back again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How I miss Those days when there were little if any politics in the game they just went out and played the game
And by “politics” you mean white people being able to denigrate other people without being called on it. Got it.

Guys, the “good old days” were only good for a select type of person.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. It's like the Kelvin Beachum deal. He is a great value, vet signing in a vacuum. When he is your 2nd best offensive lineman, it is a problem.
Correct. You could create the most value based roster and the team could absolutely suck. But player by player their salaries would stand up to scrutiny. That’s why value as your sole criteria is a doomed strategy. That’s why the concept of “luxury players” is severely flawed.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm thinking multiple trade downs.

I can see us trading with Indy and trading back again.
Too clever by half, which is why I'm totally expecting it.

"Dur, what if I can trade this 50 cent piece for 3 quarters?!"

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
And by “politics” you mean white people being able to denigrate other people without being called on it. Got it.

Guys, the “good old days” were only good for a select type of person.
Nah just everything Players used to respect each other more the rules were simpler sure injuries are always more common players played with a toughness and attitude that just seems lacking anymore to me maybe Ime wrong but it just seems that way to me

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Correct. You could create the most value based roster and the team could absolutely suck. But player by player their salaries would stand up to scrutiny. That’s why value as your sole criteria is a doomed strategy. That’s why the concept of “luxury players” is severely flawed.
I was looking at our roster and we have the same amount of guys with $7 million+ cap holds as the rest of the division.

The problem is that other teams have 3-5 players with $20m+ cap holds. We have one, DHop, who’s we expect to move.

Just a real lack of high-level talent on the roster that we’re not going to fix by trading down from 3rd to 9th and picking up two third-rounders in the process.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats why I dont no why ppl are stressing about free agency on this board. It seems we want to be a team that builds through the draft and develops players.
Except that said strategy has been horribly executed for the greater part of our existence. I look at the draft like this. What's better odds to choose from, 2 keys to one Bentley, or 28 keys to 3 BMW's and 25 Hyundai Sonatas? If we're going to go with the 28 key option, we better grab all 3 of those BMW's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can also. But I’m not sure I like passing on top talent.

There's 20-25 very good players at he top of this draft depending what you are looking for. The big question is what order do they come off the board. You don't want to go so far back that you miss on all the DT's and CB's for example.

But we should be ok as far back as 18 if that brings with it multiple future 1sts.

• Disagree
Reactions: PJ1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that said strategy has been horribly executed for the greater part of our existence. I look at the draft like this. What's better odds to choose from, 2 keys to one Bentley, or 28 keys to 3 BMW's and 25 Hyundai Sonatas? If we're going to go with the 28 key option, we better grab all 3 of those BMW's.

It's not like free agency has a stellar record of paying off either.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I was looking at our roster and we have the same amount of guys with $7 million+ cap holds as the rest of the division.

The problem is that other teams have 3-5 players with $20m+ cap holds. We have one, DHop, who’s we expect to move.

Just a real lack of high-level talent on the roster that we’re not going to fix by trading down from 3rd to 9th and picking up two third-rounders in the process.
yessir people want all these top tier players to rebuild with but also want to trade back multiple times meaning we'd pass up on the top tier players

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose