In Case You Needed Closure: Fitz Officially Calls it Quits

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I was at a football coaching clinic back in the day when Walt Harris was the head coach at Stanford. He was giving some spiel about offense, and the way he talked about Larry Fitzgerald (whom he coached at Pitt) was absolutely reverential.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Jim Trotter, one of Larry's closest confidants and the co-author with Larry on his book, was speaking yesterday on the NFL Network about Kyler Murray.
I have always suspected that Larry and Kyler didn't mesh... that Larry simply couldn't tolerate the immaturity and reclusive, non-leadership qualities of Kyler. We'll likely never know...but my own guess is that Larry would've likely played one more year...but for Kyler. Here is Trotter's interview:

We talked Kyler Murray this morning. He has all the tools to be great, but he is not there yet. Will he get there? Much of that answer rests solely with him.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
">February 15, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray is the greatest young QB in Cardinal history. And I’ve been around long enough to say that without any reservation. Does a 24 year old kid need to continue to mature & improve. Absolutely. And this franchise needs to give the kid some weapons & protect him. To date, that hasn’t happened. So I’m not at all surprised that Murray has been immature & frustrated.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Jim Trotter, one of Larry's closest confidants and the co-author with Larry on his book, was speaking yesterday on the NFL Network about Kyler Murray.
I have always suspected that Larry and Kyler didn't mesh... that Larry simply couldn't tolerate the immaturity and reclusive, non-leadership qualities of Kyler. We'll likely never know...but my own guess is that Larry would've likely played one more year...but for Kyler. Here is Trotter's interview:

We talked Kyler Murray this morning. He has all the tools to be great, but he is not there yet. Will he get there? Much of that answer rests solely with him.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
">February 15, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
In my opinion Larry was about as much of a leader as Kyler because it's the same version of 'leading by example' which is not the type of leadership I believe this team needs but more of a interactive leader. Boldin was a leader, Dansby was a leader, Wilson was a leader, Dockett was a leader, Warner, Palmer, Freeny, those guys were vocal regardless of their off field persona. So using Larry's opinion of what he thought someone else should do does not carry as much weight because he did not do it himself. Larry was an elite player and a great ambassador of the game... but not a leader in a vocal context

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In my opinion Larry was about as much of a leader as Kyler because it's the same version of 'leading by example' which is not the type of leadership I believe this team needs but more of a interactive leader. Boldin was a leader, Dansby was a leader, Wilson was a leader, Dockett was a leader, Warner, Palmer, Freeny, those guys were vocal regardless of their off field persona. So using Larry's opinion of what he thought someone else should do does not carry as much weight because he did not do it himself

Speculation... which is of course, what we do here.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nah! He just wants out of the horror show and will be heading to Minny, his hometown, where he'll finally play for a real team with a real owner, etc., etc.

(Just to recycle some deep thinking from the past.)

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion Larry was about as much of a leader as Kyler because it's the same version of 'leading by example' which is not the type of leadership I believe this team needs but more of a interactive leader. Boldin was a leader, Dansby was a leader, Wilson was a leader, Dockett was a leader, Warner, Palmer, Freeny, those guys were vocal regardless of their off field persona. So using Larry's opinion of what he thought someone else should do does not carry as much weight because he did not do it himself. Larry was a elite player and a great ambassador of the game... but not a leader in a vocal context

A team is a members-only club, and without access, you simply don't know who the real leaders are and how it's expressed.

Reactions: PJ1

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Now we need to find another high-impact player named Larry so we can keep the chants of "Larry !! Larry !! Larry !!" going.

We had Centers at SDS and Fitz at UOP/SFS. Unsure if they ever made the same chants for Larry Wilson in St. Louis.

Glad my wife and I got to see every one of his home games and two road games (SB in Tampa and Nashville the year after).

Enjoy whatever the heck you want to do next, Fitz.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA