IMQ #4 - People in Film - Favorite Actor

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Another widely debated topic we've discussed before... There are later topics about actresses, so these would be MALE actors.

It's really hard to narrow it down to just one, but I guess I would go with a pretty bland choice:

John Wayne

Don't like the guy's politics, but love watching him. Nothing like an epic western with the Duke.

Honorable Mentions:
Tom Hanks
Humphrey Bogart
Denzel Washington
Djimoun Hunsou
Liam Neeson
Kenneth Branagh
Nick Offerman
Toshiro Mifune
Ian McShane (even though his best credit is in TV)
Leonardo DiCaprio
Arnold Schwarzenegger (topic is FAVORITE, not BEST) :)

EDIT: After remembering John Wayne LOL

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to see why Eastwood isn't on the list.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hard to see why Eastwood isn't on the list.
I like Eastwood, but he's not one of my "favorites". If I had two movies and one had Eastwood the actor and one was Eastwood only as Director, I'd probably watch the latter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go with Gene Hackman or Denzel Washington. If we're including character actors I'd have a difficult time choosing between Wilford Brimley, Fred Ward, David Marciano and Jonathan Banks.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd probably go with Gene Hackman or Denzel Washington. If we're including character actors I'd have a difficult time choosing between Wilford Brimley, Fred Ward, David Marciano and Jonathan Banks.
Wow, Wilford Brimley! I just saw the Firm again a few days ago and he was suitably creepy in the role. Mark of a good actor when someone like him can be that much of a scumbag.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Wilford Brimley! I just saw the Firm again a few days ago and he was suitably creepy in the role. Mark of a good actor when someone like him can be that much of a scumbag.

It's been quite awhile since I've watched The Firm but yeah, he's tremendous in everything. Unfortunately health problems have limited him for quite awhile. Probably my two favorite roles of his are from The Natural and Absence of Malice. He has a fairly small part in A of M but it elevates a fairly decent movie to near greatness IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
for me,...what makes an actor not good but great is when you can remember the characters but not the guy who played them.
For years that was just one guy for me until he finally landed a majot role of a well known character he was always,...that dude in Pathfinder,...that guy who lead the renegade horse lords in lord of the rings...that dude that played duke Vaaco in chronicles of Riddick...

Karl Urban

while his performance as Judge Dredd suffered from satanically poor writing...everyone gets a mulligan from time to time.

IMO Urban is hands down the best male actor in the business right now...you just dont see him in movies...hell, I was actually seeing DeForrest Kelly in the new star trek movies

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me,...what makes an actor not good but great is when you can remember the characters but not the guy who played them.
For years that was just one guy for me until he finally landed a majot role of a well known character he was always,...that dude in Pathfinder,...that guy who lead the renegade horse lords in lord of the rings...that dude that played duke Vaaco in chronicles of Riddick...

Karl Urban

while his performance as Judge Dredd suffered from satanically poor writing...everyone gets a mulligan from time to time.

IMO Urban is hands down the best male actor in the business right now...you just dont see him in movies...hell, I was actually seeing DeForrest Kelly in the new star trek movies

He's also that dude who played several roles in the critically acclaimed historical drama (Xena:Warrior Princess). And yes, he was Vaako too. But IMO his best non-McCoy role comes in the movie RED. He's wasted in Doom (not allowed to show his personality) and he's wasted in Dredd (not allowed to show his face) but given a fair chance he always shines. I just wish he got a fair chance to star in a TV show (maybe something without androids).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He's also that dude who played several roles in the critically acclaimed historical drama (Xena:Warrior Princess). And yes, he was Vaako too. But IMO his best non-McCoy role comes in the movie RED. He's wasted in Doom (not allowed to show his personality) and he's wasted in Dredd (not allowed to show his face) but given a fair chance he always shines. I just wish he got a fair chance to star in a TV show (maybe something without androids).
he was really good in Red...that was another role in which as I was watching the movie I got a realization..."oh poo, thats Karl Urban"...dude plays a character so well that "he" just disappears

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was really good in Red...that was another role in which as I was watching the movie I got a realization..."oh ****, thats Karl Urban"...dude plays a character so well that "he" just disappears

I guess that is one of my major complaints about tom cruise - no matter the film, it's Tom Cruise

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that is one of my major complaints about tom cruise - no matter the film, it's Tom Cruise

Did you feel that way watching him in Tropic Thunder? I didn't care for that movie or his character but a lot of people raved about that change of pace role. I did enjoy Knight and Day and other than being short and good looking, it seemed to be a somewhat different kind of role for him.

I don't really want to defend Tom Cruise but for years I've argued against those who claim John Wayne could only play John Wayne. It's a little bit true but it says more about the legend of the man than his acting skills. No matter what, you're always going to see John Wayne because he was always larger than life, on and off the screen. His politics would probably bring him down in today's Hollywood but even then there was backlash that would have brought down many a lesser star.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you feel that way watching him in Tropic Thunder? I didn't care for that movie or his character but a lot of people raved about that change of pace role. I did enjoy Knight and Day and other than being short and good looking, it seemed to be a somewhat different kind of role for him.

I don't really want to defend Tom Cruise but for years I've argued against those who claim John Wayne could only play John Wayne. It's a little bit true but it says more about the legend of the man than his acting skills. No matter what, you're always going to see John Wayne because he was always larger than life, on and off the screen. His politics would probably bring him down in today's Hollywood but even then there was backlash that would have brought down many a lesser star.

Never saw Tropic Thunder ;)

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Gene Hackman

Other biggies that give Gene a run for his money:
Ralph Fiennes
Jeff Bridges
Tom Hanks

Other personal faves:
Stanley Tucci
Oliver Platt
Stephen Root
Christoph Waltz
Bobby Cannavale
Donal Logue
Paul Rudd
Jason Segel
William H. Macy
Steve Zahn

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gene Hackman

Other biggies that give Gene a run for his money:
Ralph Fiennes
Jeff Bridges
Tom Hanks

Other personal faves:
Stanley Tucci
Oliver Platt
Stephen Root
Christoph Waltz
Bobby Cannavale
Donal Logue
Paul Rudd
Jason Segel
William H. Macy
Steve Zahn

I wouldn't have Jason Segel on my list but surprisingly enough, I agree with the rest of this. I say surprisingly because your comments about Cameron make it clear we don't share similar taste in movies.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denzel Washington is my current favorite of all time! But I like so many.... Sean Connery is an all time favorite especially his role in Untouchables.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denzel Washington is my current favorite of all time! But I like so many.... Sean Connery is an all time favorite especially his role in Untouchables.

I thought Denzel was a little overrated until Crimson Tide came out. Wow. Watching him and Hackman play off of each other was incredible. That could have been the worst movie of all time and it would have still been enjoyable just watching the two of them together.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Denzel was a little overrated until Crimson Tide came out. Wow. Watching him and Hackman play off of each other was incredible. That could have been the worst movie of all time and it would have still been enjoyable just watching the two of them together.

One of my fav movies ever their energy and tension was beyond phenomenal. That scene with Hackman asking for the missile key was brilliant!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my fav movies ever their energy and tension was beyond phenomenal. That scene with Hackman asking for the missile key was brilliant!

Speaking of horses did you ever see those Lipizzaner stallions?

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Overrated until Crimson Tide? Did you see Glory? He is fantastic in that movie. Malcolm X? Mo Better Blues? Philadelphia? He had some stinkers back in the day (Virtuosity, anyone?), but he's had more hits than misses, even before Crimson Tide.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overrated until Crimson Tide? Did you see Glory? He is fantastic in that movie. Malcolm X? Mo Better Blues? Philadelphia? He had some stinkers back in the day (Virtuosity, anyone?), but he's had more hits than misses, even before Crimson Tide.

There was a lot of talk about him being the greatest American actor ever so yes, overrated at that time AFAIC. It was way too early to put him at or near the top. I think it requires a greater body of work to justify that kind of talk.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Robert De Niro
William H Macy
Joe Pesci
Jeff Bridges
Philip Seymore Hoffman
Gene Wilder
Mr. Ed (just kidding, he's a horse for god's sake)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert De Niro
William H Macy
Joe Pesci
Jeff Bridges
Philip Seymore Hoffman
Gene Wilder
Mr. Ed (just kidding, he is a horse of course, of course)

FTFY.

And I like your list although I run hot and cold on Pesci. Bridges especially fails to get the respect he deserves IMO. Every alien in a human body (or ghost in a new body etc.) seems to pay homage to his Starman performance.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
FTFY.

And I like your list although I run hot and cold on Pesci. Bridges especially fails to get the respect he deserves IMO. Every alien in a human body (or ghost in a new body etc.) seems to pay homage to his Starman performance.

Lol, nice Mr. Ed edit!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard