Imagine thinking you don’t need to sign a pass rusher…

Reaction score
If we were playing chase the ring, we would have been in on Miller. And, showing that intent, Miller might have been in on us. As it was clear we were punting on the season (although you kept mocking us telling us everything was totally fine), Miller wasn't even a consideration. A criminal decision, that.
Was this said by the Cards? How do you know they didn't try to go after Miller? Curious as to how this is a known fact.

Reaction score
Sorry... this idea that there weren't any edge guys available is just pure fantasy. This was actually the most robust FA class I can ever remember for Edge guys... both guys who commanded big contracts and others who got one year deals.

Von Miller
Hassan Reddick
Chandler Jones
Jadaveon Clowney
Melvin Ingram
Randy Gregory
Dante Fowler

and none of that even takes into consideration that KHALIL MACK was available for trade for less than what it took us to get a small speed WR for a 1st round pick... who we might not even sign when the season is over.

and none of that takes into account that if we didn't strengthen the edge, we could have strengthened up the middle with a guy like Akeim Hicks.

and before the usual suspects say "Oh, those guys all wanted to play for a title contender"... uh, you're the same people banging on the "Cardinals were a title contender before injuries" drum ad naseum. So we were a playoff team last year. A team in that position in Year 3 is supposed to take a step forward.

The reality is there were a PLETHORA of ways we could have tried to juice up the pass rush, but the sadder reality is, the team wasn't even in a position to do so because they sat on their hands as far as extensions went to open up cap room (another thing the usual suspects said this team was incapable of doing... until they did it) when they had the chance.

the idea that the ONLY thing this team could have done to improve the pass rush once they decided Jones was gonzo was resign Gardeck and draft a couple developmental 3rd rounders is just flat out not true.
Who on this list isn't past their prime, aren't crazy, or way overpriced? Mack is your only good argument & I'm not sure he even wanted to come here. Plethora lol. Granted they are pass rushers but...

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most of the west coast is a transient area. The Cardinals need to have sustained success.

Denver is a transient area too.
The other west coast teams have had teams in the NFL for a gazillion years and have actually won SB’s.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who on this list isn't past their prime, aren't crazy, or way overpriced? Mack is your only good argument & I'm not sure he even wanted to come here. Plethora lol. Granted they are pass rushers but...
Lol… let’s see Reddick, Mack for starters. So there’s two bonafide pass rushers that almost NEVER see the market, which we… again… didn’t even TRY to enter because we sat on our hands waiting to make contract extensions until well after the time we could have made an impact.

Also, Clowney is ten times the entire rotation of Gardeck and trash on one side. He didn’t sign for a huge amount. He signed a ONE year deal. Same with Fowler and Ingram. One year deals… ALL OF THEM. And ALL of whom again could have been better rotation players than Edge guys WHO CANT EVEN MAKE THE ACTIVE ROSTER. And Gregory isn’t even past his prime. Gregory is 29.

And while Miller is past his prime, he’s still HUGELY effective and dependable. Writing him off the list os ludicrous as well.

Miller, Reddick, Mack, Clowney… all solid to big difference makers available at a position of desperate need and we don’t even try to make the cap room to entertain the thought. And Gregory, Ingram and Fowler are all one year deal guys who could have at least gotten on the damn field as opposed to our plan for our developmental 3rd round rookies to help… who can’t get off the sideline/or even into uniform.

The only Lol thing here is someone thinking there was no way the Cardinals could have upgraded a pass rush a pass rish that has ONE sack in two games and helped us to the 32nd ranked overall D in the league. That’s DEAD last.

But yeah… lol at the idea that this team couldn’t have done anything more about our pass rush than we did this off-season.

Reactions: PJ1

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve seen the finished product of any aspect of this team for this year. Personally I’m bullish on both sides of the ball moving forward. Unless of course their are more toaster accidents, or whatever.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But we don't know that he didnt try, or explore avenues. We also dont know the algorithm the team uses to determine perceived or expected value based on investment. If Von Miller doesnt have a blow up year, the Bills will have drastically overpaid for him. Id rather do nothing, and remian flexible for future options that go all in if the belief is there that the player will perform to the contract. Obvs, Keim gets this wrong a lot as well, but I am solely speaking to your belief that we did NOTHING to address the loss of CJ.
Until your last statement, you were defending, excusing, and agreeing with Keim's sad strategy of punting on the season. The team, Keim specifically, clearly didn't do enough to try to win this season. If the reason he didn't is "well, maybe he tried but couldn't," then he's a massive failure as a GM--a GM that can't manage to spend to the cap. If not, he "kept his powder dry," which is just as bad or worse.

And, sure, we did a few things to address the loss of CJ. They were bad things (hey, let's rely on some non-premium rookies and a guy coming back off injury who may have been a flash in the pan!), but he did do some things.

Sorry, Keim didn't do a good job. IMO he didn't even do an average job. He failed utterly in this area, as in others.

Can you argue that Keim had a good offseason?

Stout

Reaction score
Was this said by the Cards? How do you know they didn't try to go after Miller? Curious as to how this is a known fact.
lol Riding to Keim's rescue, I see. Oh, I dunno, the fact that Keim didn't spend to win and the fact that Miller went on a massive contract is pretty good evidence. How do you know they did try to go after Miller? What a pointless question and a disingenuous exercise in futility. You don't for one second think we tried to go after Miller, but by God, you'll defend Keim.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Until your last statement, you were defending, excusing, and agreeing with Keim's sad strategy of punting on the season. The team, Keim specifically, clearly didn't do enough to try to win this season. If the reason he didn't is "well, maybe he tried but couldn't," then he's a massive failure as a GM--a GM that can't manage to spend to the cap. If not, he "kept his powder dry," which is just as bad or worse.

And, sure, we did a few things to address the loss of CJ. They were bad things (hey, let's rely on some non-premium rookies and a guy coming back off injury who may have been a flash in the pan!), but he did do some things.

Sorry, Keim didn't do a good job. IMO he didn't even do an average job. He failed utterly in this area, as in others.

I wouldn't. I do not have enough info to accurately defend nor decry. I would say that I am a wildly disgruntled fan, who THINKS Keim is bad at his job. But I have come to the realization that the joy I derive from football comes on game day. I don't have enough knowledge, nor access to the inner workings of the team to end up anywhere other than in an endless loop of anger/excitement/(joy/anger)/usually depression, if I drill in like y'all. I do REALLY enjoy reading this board and everyone's opinions. But as you can see by my "content" I typically only speak when I feel some levity is in order, or the high running emotions are being propelled by conjecture, without a full accounting of the facts. I think that's what we have going on here.

But I agree, on the surface, it don't look like Keim has been very good OVERALL at his job. Does some things well, SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS at a few. Thats not an ideal candidate to give a 5 year extension to, thats for sure.

Stout

Reaction score
I wouldn't. I do not have enough info to accurately defend nor decry. I would say that I am a wildly disgruntled fan, who THINKS Keim is bad at his job. But I have come to the realization that the joy I derive from football comes on game day. I don't have enough knowledge, nor access to the inner workings of the team to end up anywhere other than in an endless loop of anger/excitement/(joy/anger)/usually depression, if I drill in like y'all. I do REALLY enjoy reading this board and everyone's opinions. But as you can see by my "content" I typically only speak when I feel some levity is in order, or the high running emotions are being propelled by conjecture, without a full accounting of the facts. I think that's what we have going on here.

But I agree, on the surface, it don't look like Keim has been very good OVERALL at his job. Does some things well, SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS at a few. Thats not an ideal candidate to give a 5 year extension to, thats for sure.
Hey, good answer, man! Sounds like we're in agreement on Keim's status, or what it should be--not locked in for 5 more years!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How much of the Kyler off season drama affected signing a pass rusher?
i dont think it did, unless the Cards FO mental capacity is limited to one contract/ deal at a time

pretty early on Mike B and Keim said Kyler would get his in the summer. They knew back then what the parameters of the deal would be --- and as a result, it shouldnt have stopped them

Stout

Reaction score
i dont think it did, unless the Cards FO mental capacity is limited to one contract/ deal at a time

pretty early on Mike B and Keim said Kyler would get his in the summer. They knew back then what the parameters of the deal would be --- and as a result, it shouldnt have stopped them
It's a mom-and-pop operation in the FO, so I think their capacity does suffer these kinds of limitations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I love the excuse of “we don’t know if he tried.” It’s like the attempt and failure absolves the GM of being a good and effective GM.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I find this stats misleading. After two weeks the Jets have 3 sacks and 9 QB hits, the Cardinals have 1 sack and 11 QB hits. Number 2 Cleveland has 6 sacks and 9 QB hits. Buffalo on the other hand has 9 sacks and 19 QB hits yet are ranked 4th. The stat is determined by a pass rusher beating his blocker in 2.5 seconds or less.
Maybe that mens the opposing QB can always find an open receiver within the 2.5 seconds. Is it bad scheme, no discipline, or simply poor coverage skills?

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He did yeah. Vance moves him around a bunch. He had a bunch of edge snaps but also rushed up the middle, played a little ILB, dropped into coverage from OLB etc
Does that mean we actually had our Isiash Simmons long before we drafted Isiash Simmons, and Keim didn't know that?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Agree with your post. But, if we don’t pressure Stafford, he will eat our lunch. Once he marches down the field twice to the cheers of Rams fans in OUR DAMN STADIUM. Damn, I’d like to kill the fake moron Cardinal fans that sell their tickets to opposition fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Then we give up running the ball because we’ll be in catch up mode, and the Rams pin back their ears on our crappy OL. Bidwills are such idiots to move a team to a transient area when Baltimore rolled out the red carpet & would have had a stadium built in 2 years.
Iirc when the new stadium first opened they estimated that 30 to 40% of the season tickets sold went to ticket brokers. So some of that could be them posing as cards fans. But if it's a cards page they are probably thinking they're selling to cards fans. Just my opinion.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
The defense today actually played a decent game. But in what world do they think Ben Niemann/Tanner Vallejo give them a better shot than Simmons even with Collins out? Both of them are atrocious

Stout

Reaction score
The defense today actually played a decent game. But in what world do they think Ben Niemann/Tanner Vallejo give them a better shot than Simmons even with Collins out? Both of them are atrocious
No, the defense got the absolute dog crap beat out of them, THEN actually played a decent game.

Jeebus, Niemann is pond scum at ILBer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose