Imagine thinking you don’t need to sign a pass rusher…

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Y'all acting like paying Von Miller that money was a no brainer. He's 33.5 and had less sacks than Chandler Jones last year.

Had we signed him a guarantee this board would have said "Might as well have resigned CJ for less" or "Why's Keim renting guys that are nearly 34 and had less than 10 sacks last year".
What happens when Miller slows down this year and only finishes with 8 sacks?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Second most disruptive IDL in the league right now!
Yes but for some reason he was always injured playing for us.
You know whats really crazy is it appears the best pass rusher we lost is actually Jordan Phillips

the diff between a multi year contract that had guaranteed money, and a one year deal with the Bills

he now has to put enough tape out there to fool the next team

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What happens when Miller slows down this year and only finishes with 8 sacks?

It wouldn't surprise me if he had more considering the talent on that defense, but for sure if he came here I wouldn't expect him to be getting 15 sacks a year.

Plus I know perfectly well the same people complaining now would have complained about signing Von Miller. All we would have heard is "Oldest D line in the league" and "Our pass rush needs zimmer frames".

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if he had more considering the talent on that defense, but for sure if he came here I wouldn't expect him to be getting 15 sacks a year.

Plus I know perfectly well the same people complaining now would have complained about signing Von Miller. All we would have heard is "Oldest D line in the league" and "Our pass rush needs zimmer frames".
The alternative is to play the guys you drafted in the 3rd round to replace Jones. Vance isn't doing that either, which leads to the frustration.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second most disruptive IDL in the league right now!

The Cardinals OL has every starter in the top ten in either pass block win or run block win rate. Top pass protecting line in the league per metrics.
Keim is doing a fine job, it seems. :cry:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keim is doing a fine job, it seems. :cry:
The OL is fine. Receiver is fine once players return.

Still worried about the pass rush because the sacks aren't there, but they are getting some pressure. Coverage has been a mixed bag, but they covered well second half of last week AND Hamilton/Mullen will be back soon.

If the Cardinals can find a way to beat the Rams, the season will look rosier, but I doubt that happens.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Fans play checkers, when the professionals have to play chess. Its a long game. The logic just doesn't jibe with me. Keim, sitting on a shiny new 5 year extension would rather not spend and look the fool, than spend and go for the ring. Is that your argument? Obviously there's WAY more going on than we as fans will ever know. But I do know, that if I had a 5 year extension in my pocket, and at the time, what, 17M in cap space to spend, all else being equal, I am feeling as enabled to spend every damn penny as I am likely to not spend because "I got my money, now lets sit back and chill" (which seems to be the argument made around here about Keim and KK.) I think Keim needs to go, and I imagine KK isnt far behind him. But everything is so freaking intertwined in this sport, its a tough call to make those decisions without weighing how all other actions affect what everyone else does and how their performance can be judged.
Then why didn't they spend their money when everything in the world was set up for us to try to compete. This is the year that the NFC is as weak as it's likely to be. You say you don't think he felt any constraints against spending, yet I present to you the evidence that we basically punted on the season because he didn't, in fact, spend.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Y'all acting like paying Von Miller that money was a no brainer. He's 33.5 and had less sacks than Chandler Jones last year.

Had we signed him a guarantee this board would have said "Might as well have resigned CJ for less" or "Why's Keim renting guys that are nearly 34 and had less than 10 sacks last year".
Maybe it wasn't a no-brainer, but the no-brainer is trying to seriously fix the pass rush. You and others have continued banging away at there not being available talent in the offseason. Well, one team that could be a SB contender identified that talent, went after it, and are reaping the benefits. Meanwhile we went with spit and baling wire bought from the second-hand store and punted on spending money to compete.

Which team and GM would you rather have.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering we saw far more 3-4 in the 2nd half vs the Raiders I'm hoping that becomes the base again this week and hopefully Sanders is active.

We had snaps at Edge from Fotu, Dogbe and Collins last week. That shouldn't be happening over Thomas or Sanders.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then why didn't they spend their money when everything in the world was set up for us to try to compete. This is the year that the NFC is as weak as it's likely to be. You say you don't think he felt any constraints against spending, yet I present to you the evidence that we basically punted on the season because he didn't, in fact, spend.
But we don't know that he didnt try, or explore avenues. We also dont know the algorithm the team uses to determine perceived or expected value based on investment. If Von Miller doesnt have a blow up year, the Bills will have drastically overpaid for him. Id rather do nothing, and remian flexible for future options that go all in if the belief is there that the player will perform to the contract. Obvs, Keim gets this wrong a lot as well, but I am solely speaking to your belief that we did NOTHING to address the loss of CJ.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno. Seems to me the problem solves itself faster if the rookies are on the field.
Assuming of course they can develop.
Sanders is the closest to CJ,and while he gets bullied in the run game as a speed rusher he needs reps against nfl tackles to refine his moves and transitions.

A front of Golden, Thomas, Watt, sanders, Gardeck should bring a lot of heat... maybe swap Allen for Thomas..

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id rather do nothing, and remian flexible for future options that go all in if the belief is there that the player will perform to the contract.
Perhaps the team is waiting to see whether Murray has them in position to make a strong playoff run, and if so, planning to make a trade at the deadline for an expensive player or two. If not, they can roll their remaining cap space over to next season.

Hmm... i thought i read recently that the Cardinals still had $17M in cap space... but OTC says they have only $6.7M. Regardless, they could create some space with contract extensions during the season, if needed.

:shrug:

...dave

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The OL is fine. Receiver is fine once players return.

Still worried about the pass rush because the sacks aren't there, but they are getting some pressure. Coverage has been a mixed bag, but they covered well second half of last week AND Hamilton/Mullen will be back soon.

If the Cardinals can find a way to beat the Rams, the season will look rosier, but I doubt that happens.
Agree with your post. But, if we don’t pressure Stafford, he will eat our lunch. Once he marches down the field twice to the cheers of Rams fans in OUR DAMN STADIUM. Damn, I’d like to kill the fake moron Cardinal fans that sell their tickets to opposition fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Then we give up running the ball because we’ll be in catch up mode, and the Rams pin back their ears on our crappy OL. Bidwills are such idiots to move a team to a transient area when Baltimore rolled out the red carpet & would have had a stadium built in 2 years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agree with your post. But, if we don’t pressure Stafford, he will eat our lunch. Once he marches down the field twice to the cheers of Rams fans in OUR DAMN STADIUM. Damn, I’d like to kill the fake moron Cardinal fans that sell their tickets to opposition fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Then we give up running the ball because we’ll be in catch up mode, and the Rams pin back their ears on our crappy OL. Bidwills are such idiots to move a team to a transient area when Baltimore rolled out the red carpet & would have had a stadium built in 2 years.
Dang, that's harsh.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dang, that's harsh.
Only looks harsh when you put it in dark print. At least in St. Louis, 98% of the fans were rooting for the Cardinals. In AZ, we‘re lucky if we have 50% cheering for us. I’m on the Cardinals FB page, and 75% of the posts are so called fans trying to sell their tickets. Annoys me to no end!! It’s no wonder we can’t win at home when we don’t have a home field advantage.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry... this idea that there weren't any edge guys available is just pure fantasy. This was actually the most robust FA class I can ever remember for Edge guys... both guys who commanded big contracts and others who got one year deals.

Von Miller
Hassan Reddick
Chandler Jones
Jadaveon Clowney
Melvin Ingram
Randy Gregory
Dante Fowler

and none of that even takes into consideration that KHALIL MACK was available for trade for less than what it took us to get a small speed WR for a 1st round pick... who we might not even sign when the season is over.

and none of that takes into account that if we didn't strengthen the edge, we could have strengthened up the middle with a guy like Akeim Hicks.

and before the usual suspects say "Oh, those guys all wanted to play for a title contender"... uh, you're the same people banging on the "Cardinals were a title contender before injuries" drum ad naseum. So we were a playoff team last year. A team in that position in Year 3 is supposed to take a step forward.

The reality is there were a PLETHORA of ways we could have tried to juice up the pass rush, but the sadder reality is, the team wasn't even in a position to do so because they sat on their hands as far as extensions went to open up cap room (another thing the usual suspects said this team was incapable of doing... until they did it) when they had the chance.

the idea that the ONLY thing this team could have done to improve the pass rush once they decided Jones was gonzo was resign Gardeck and draft a couple developmental 3rd rounders is just flat out not true.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Not only did they trade their 1st rounder for Kyler’s shrimp buddy WR, by doing that they passed on that pass rusher from FSU who fell and looks to have a chance to be good.

Damn, I hated that Marquise Brown trade then and even more now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Most of the west coast is a transient area. The Cardinals need to have sustained success.

Denver is a transient area too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose