I'm sorry but I think it's time for a coaching change real soon.

Sonny H

Reaction score
I would love to get someone soon so we can start recruiting. This team I don't see being any better then last season or maybe worse.

My number one candidate would be chip kelly. Who would you want ?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would love to get someone soon so we can start recruiting. This team I don't see being any better then last season or maybe worse.

My number one candidate would be chip kelly. Who would you want ?

To me, this team looks exactly like it did under Erickson. Mediocre talent and mediocre results. Inability to consistently recruit top talent (even within our own state)

I think the problem goes higher than the head coach I think there is a problem with ASU's recruiting in general. Their Baseball team has even gone downhill. There was a report in June that James Harden offered to help them recruit for basketball and ASU basically said no thanks.

We either need to start selling these kids better or start paying them better. Whatever it takes. :)

So it's not that I'm against firing Graham, it's just I think the problem is bigger than him. I think you could put Meyer or Saban in charge of this roster and it's be pretty much the same results.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I did not watch the game last evening but I was surprised by the box score this AM. NMSU is a team that should be beat by at least five scores by most PAC teams.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Les Miles is who I'd want. Defensive minded coach who can recruit, with winning credentials at every stop he's made. With that said, if ASU does fire Graham, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny White was offered the job. Too much coaching defections the last couple of years have caused recruits to look elsewhere because if perceived instability, not knowing if coaches are going to be around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, this team looks exactly like it did under Erickson. Mediocre talent and mediocre results. Inability to consistently recruit top talent (even within our own state)

I think the problem goes higher than the head coach I think there is a problem with ASU's recruiting in general. Their Baseball team has even gone downhill. There was a report in June that James Harden offered to help them recruit for basketball and ASU basically said no thanks.

We either need to start selling these kids better or start paying them better. Whatever it takes. :)

So it's not that I'm against firing Graham, it's just I think the problem is bigger than him. I think you could put Meyer or Saban in charge of this roster and it's be pretty much the same results.

All three major sports programs have been down at ASU except Bobby Hurley seems to have the basketball team going the right direction.

I think moving all the baseball games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium was a mistake. It's a great facility for big games but I liked the feel of a campus stadium for other games. The campus environment is lost.

ASU badly needs a new basketball arena to draw better recruits. Hurley needs to be rewarded with one or at least a renovated one.

In regard to football, if Todd Graham could have produced the teams he promised, the football stadium would not look so empty. ASU needs a consistent winning team.

Indeed, ASU needs to improve recruiting but if one of the major sports program were successful, it could start the ball rolling.

It's looking like ASU missed on hiring the right head coaches for the football and baseball teams.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
There's only one thing top level recruits care about; which coach can get them to the NFL? So having the right coach makes a world of differences in recruiting.

Graham has regressed significantly, and the fact that he's a defensive coach while ASU has had the worst defenses in school history under his coaching should tell you all you need to know. If it wasn't for his massive buyout he'd already be gone. With Asu's new football facilities and apparent investment in the football program... they might be able to lure a Kelly or a Miles, but those guys probably want to go to an established program where they won't have to start from square 1. Graham is basically just a lame duck coach right now; his teams are horrid and no one is showing up to the games when they invested 100's of millions into the stadium...Not a combination the AD is looking for. Unfortunately for us...Graham will probably be around for another 2 years, regardless of how bad the teams are, simply because asu can't afford to fire him... even though he should've been fired a year ago.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
All three major sports programs have been down at ASU except Bobby Hurley seems to have the basketball team going the right direction.

I think moving all the baseball games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium was a mistake. It's a great facility for big games but I liked the feel of a campus stadium for other games. The campus environment is lost.

ASU badly needs a new basketball arena to draw better recruits. Hurley needs to be rewarded with one or at least a renovated one.

In regard to football, if Todd Graham could have produced the teams he promised, the football stadium would not look so empty. ASU needs a consistent winning team.

Indeed, ASU needs to improve recruiting but if one of the major sports program were successful, it could start the ball rolling.

It's looking like ASU missed on hiring the right head coaches for the football and baseball teams.

Yeah it boggles my mind. All their athletic facilities are sub par and OLD. ASU has one of the largest student populations in the world, and thus, they must have one of the largest alumni bases in the world.

I'm just saying, the school has plenty of money, they just don't put it into their Athletics programs like Oregon, Alabama, Florida, etc.

I mean I know they are working hard to maintain their esteemed reputation among elite academia, but can the division 1 teams not play in community college level facilities? I mean they're so cheap they're renovating SDS in like a 10 phase, 50 year plan lol....

Grand Canyon University has better basketball, baseball and softball facilities than ASU. Just let that sink in. I know, I've photographed both.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's worse is that ARZ has had some serious HS talent, we have HS that are nationally recognized (Hamilton, Chandler, Saguaro, Chaparral) and while we did land some local kids a lot of talent has left the state. Look at Kirk (TAMU), Andrews (OKLA) & now Byron Murphy after one game at UW looks like a stud.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it boggles my mind. All their athletic facilities are sub par and OLD. ASU has one of the largest student populations in the world, and thus, they must have one of the largest alumni bases in the world.

I'm just saying, the school has plenty of money, they just don't put it into their Athletics programs like Oregon, Alabama, Florida, etc.

I mean I know they are working hard to maintain their esteemed reputation among elite academia, but can the division 1 teams not play in community college level facilities? I mean they're so cheap they're renovating SDS in like a 10 phase, 50 year plan lol....

Grand Canyon University has better basketball, baseball and softball facilities than ASU. Just let that sink in. I know, I've photographed both.

Yeah, but check out GCU's football team and facilities. ;)

ASU waited too long to improve their facilities to ride the crest of the wave in college sports and doubled down on it by their unwillingness to pay top head coaches.

And now many fans are now swimming in a swamp of hopelessness. ASU no longer has any identifying sports.

It's a long road back. It doesn't help they replaced Sparky with a fork.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The most puzzling fall has been the baseball team. Ever since Murphy got canned they have spiraled down. The hiring of Smith was encouraging after what he did at Indiana but ASU still is in disarray. Why?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard