I'm going to go ahead and say what everyone is fearing. Floyd is a mega-bust.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Floyd is not a bust...Levi, he is not a bust but a ugly crack in the dam at a position where all you need is a crack for an elite pass rusher to expose it and kill your QB

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Michael Floyd is a mega-bust. Either you have it, or you don't. He doesn't. 'We're bringing him along slowly' is code for 'We can't believe how badly we whiffed, but we can't let on...'

It's already indisputable that he is not what we hoped - an impact player who can step in immediately and take double-teams and pressure off of Fitz... to keep our star happy as his twenties wind down.

Now all that's in question is whether he'll ever be starting WR caliber.

I say no.

And now a bunch of you will jump in ranting about how it's too soon to tell, it's unfair to judge, etc. But you know what you're fearing. And I'm happy to revisit this thread a couple years from now and let the 'I told you so' chips fall where they may.

My goodness, where do we find these posters!! I watched every game this kid played at Notre Dame. He's legit & will be a star for many years. Can we wait until we actually draw up a game plan before we start labeling players a bust! Comments like this make our fan base sound moronic!

seesred

Reaction score
A Bust? He hasn't played enough to know if his great,good or other. He is a big kid with great hands, IMO he will do well in the NFL.

GBR

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is utterly rediculous. If we can make career long determinations based on preseason output then Fitz is clearly washed up. He has been invisible, whats wrong with him? Biggest waste of money ever.

Kolb has been as bad as possible in his PT, Skelton hasnt had enough to work the ball round. So none of our front line receivers have put up any stats.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
This post is wayyyyy off base, especially 2 games into his NFL career. I wanted the Cards to draft OLB Ingram or OT Reif because I thought they fit & would have better NFL careers with the Cards. I think Floyd will have a solid career but nothing special but we'll see.

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
I'm calling it now. Our 1st rd pick next year is going to be a bust! What were we thinking reaching for that player when there were clearly better players available?

Someone, please remember to bump this in a year or two so I can tell y'all so. :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm calling it now. Our 1st rd pick next year is going to be a bust! What were we thinking reaching for that player when there were clearly better players available?

Someone, please remember to bump this in a year or two so I can tell y'all so. :D

lol

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all because he missed those 2 workouts with Fitz :p.

I'd wait a bit before judging anything. We don't know what plays are being called, what offense is being run, nothing. Ceratinly there is nothing to judge him on. And no, I'm not thinking it either. In fact history shows you should wait. here's an excerpt from an article on football outsiders:

The coach stood before the skeptical media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.

The team was 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. The QB's passing numbers were off. The team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes.

The rookies name was Jerry Rice.

But calling the guy a bust after 3 meaningless pre-season games probably isn't an overreaction, smh :(.

Great post Cbus.:thumbup:

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
Came to slam the thread, see it was already done by everyone else. Nice work board!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and say what everyone is fearing. Muggum is going to start posting more often. (I kid)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is complete garbage. And I dont even care for Floyd.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I hoped to see more from Floyd by now but it hardly makes him a bust. I have seen him make some great blocks downfield.

I bet Floyd gets much more playing time the next game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all because he missed those 2 workouts with Fitz :p.

I'd wait a bit before judging anything. We don't know what plays are being called, what offense is being run, nothing. Ceratinly there is nothing to judge him on. And no, I'm not thinking it either. In fact history shows you should wait. here's an excerpt from an article on football outsiders:

The coach stood before the skeptical media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.

The team was 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. The QB's passing numbers were off. The team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes.

The rookies name was Jerry Rice.

But calling the guy a bust after 3 meaningless pre-season games probably isn't an overreaction, smh :(.

I don't think Floyd will be a bust but the thing with Jerry Rice was he was ALWAYS open, he just dropped a bunch of balls as a rookie. You could see how good he was because he was open so much.

Floyd hasn't played much but so far he looks like one of those guys who as we've been saying every year it seems "can't get separation."

I wouldn't have picked him and have explained why but mega bust right now seems quick.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think Floyd will be a bust but the thing with Jerry Rice was he was ALWAYS open, he just dropped a bunch of balls as a rookie. You could see how good he was because he was open so much.

Floyd hasn't played much but so far he looks like one of those guys who as we've been saying every year it seems "can't get separation."

I wouldn't have picked him and have explained why but mega bust right now seems quick.

Disagree but not completely. Rice could run routes like nobody's biz. He lacked everything you look for in a receiver except his ability to run routes. His hands developed later, after the ball hit them a few times. But his route running was always exceptional. He had the ability to squeeze dudes by running short or flattening off his routes and he was always open.

Floyd is totally different. He's not going to run exceptional routes, but his greatest asset is bodying dudes up and facing the QB and getting position. A lot like Boldin, frankly. For that to work the QB has to have time for his route to develop and we haven't seen that with Kolb, and so Floyd looks terrible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree but not completely. Rice could run routes like nobody's biz. He lacked everything you look for in a receiver except his ability to run routes. His hands developed later, after the ball hit them a few times. But his route running was always exceptional. He had the ability to squeeze dudes by running short or flattening off his routes and he was always open.

Floyd is totally different. He's not going to run exceptional routes, but his greatest asset is bodying dudes up and facing the QB and getting position. A lot like Boldin, frankly. For that to work the QB has to have time for his route to develop and we haven't seen that with Kolb, and so Floyd looks terrible.

Rice's rep coming out of college was he could catch a BB in a tornado or something like that. He grew up helping his dad who was a bricklayer so he had really strong hands. His rookie year for whatever reason, nerves maybe, he had a bunch of drops. My point was even then you could see he was going to be really good because the fact is he was ALWAYS open. Nobody could cover him. Since you knew the reputation for great hands coming in you assumed it was a matter of time. Nobody saw best WR of all time then I don't think but even as a rookie I don't recall people seeing the drops and saying kid's a bust, it was too obvious nobody could cover him.

Floyd so far, in VERY limited play, isn't getting a lot of separation. I agree he's like a rebounder boxing his man out, teh QB's have to learn to trust him and throw it when he's not wide open, because right now the fact is he's not getting wide open.

Doesn't mean he's a bust. Contrast that with say DeSean Jackson who probably gets wide open more than any WR in football. I mean the number of plays where he's 5 + yards beyond any DB is stunning(Before last year). Combination of speed, ability to cut on a dime and that he runs pretty good routes. Floyd will never be like that but then he should be a much better WR over the middle and in the air than Jackson will ever be due to his size.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the pick at the time but this is looking like a horrible pick wtf

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He hasn't wowed me at all but I just can't say he's a bust without giving him a few years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Second most ******** thread ever. Everyone was saying the same about Boldin after he had 1 catch for 7 yards in the preseason.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I am certainly unimpressed. To me he doesn't look like is engaged; either coach is playing possum with Floyd our he is not very good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second most ******** thread ever. Everyone was saying the same about Boldin after he had 1 catch for 7 yards in the preseason.

Uhhm, how many people is "everyone"? I can remember an awful lot of Boldin support from the day he was drafted and most of it never wavered. But, I agree, this is a stupid thread. I thought it was a bad pick and I have no problem with anyone suggesting he'll bust based on his college career but labeling him a bust because of what little we've seen in preseason is absurd.

Steve

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lets not forget how unimpressive PP was last preseason. I'll give him the season to work his way in; which won't be easy with the QB situation.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

However, i think most well informed fans knew that the Cards were keeping Boldin under wraps. News that had leaked from training camp.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I agree that this thread is a complete over-reaction by the OP. But I'll chime in to the chorus of people who are going to call shenanigans on the Boldin comparison. Everyone who went to camp that year were compeltely amped, said that Boldin was destroying people and was the real deal.

The silence from the media and fans(!) on Floyd has been deafening. Lots of excuses from people like Urban "well, the things he does well don't show up when there's not contact, etc.", but the first round pick is sitting fourth on the depth chart, and in the preseason games (assuming that there are explicit or implied instructions not to throw to Fitz), is at least the third option in the passing game behind Andre Roberts/Doucet and the tight end.

I was in favor of Michael Floyd being drafted by the Cards--I thought he presented great value if he works out. I'm not concerned, because I have a higher opinion of the guys on the depth chart ahead of him than the vast majority of people here.

But to say that there hasn't been cause for concern and this is just reactionary bellyaching? I don't think that's true at all.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lets not forget how unimpressive PP was last preseason. I'll give him the season to work his way in; which won't be easy with the QB situation.
Granted, on D, he had a bit of a learning curve. But his punt returns alone made him impressive IMO

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson