I'm going to go ahead and say what everyone is fearing. Floyd is a mega-bust.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Michael Floyd is a mega-bust. Either you have it, or you don't. He doesn't. 'We're bringing him along slowly' is code for 'We can't believe how badly we whiffed, but we can't let on...'

It's already indisputable that he is not what we hoped - an impact player who can step in immediately and take double-teams and pressure off of Fitz... to keep our star happy as his twenties wind down.

Now all that's in question is whether he'll ever be starting WR caliber.

I say no.

And now a bunch of you will jump in ranting about how it's too soon to tell, it's unfair to judge, etc. But you know what you're fearing. And I'm happy to revisit this thread a couple years from now and let the 'I told you so' chips fall where they may.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way too early to judge a WR. Hasn't had many thrown his way yet. Not saying I don't wish we picked someone else but give him a chance.

Even Fitz took time to develop.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Here are thing I fear more than this:

Levi hurt, no backup plan
Kolb is officially a bust
I might get shot at a game
Replacement refs will cost us a game

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It is too early to call him a bust but then I haven't seen anything from him so far that indicates he was worth a high first round draft pick.

It wasn't a smart selection as in my opinion there were several other Better Players Available.

They probably drafted Floyd because Fitz wanted him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh. I think it's a little early to be proclaiming him a bust. He didn't come into the league with Randy Moss-like expectations and he's playing opposite arguably the best WR in the league (and the worst QB situation, too), so there's not the pressure on him to carry the passing game right out of the gate.

Maybe he doesn't live up to first round value. That happens...a lot...to every team. Right now his draft position is out the window; here's to hoping he'll be a contributor to success for years to come. He doesn't have to be a superstar (though, that'd be nice).

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's all because he missed those 2 workouts with Fitz :p.

I'd wait a bit before judging anything. We don't know what plays are being called, what offense is being run, nothing. Ceratinly there is nothing to judge him on. And no, I'm not thinking it either. In fact history shows you should wait. here's an excerpt from an article on football outsiders:

The coach stood before the skeptical media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.

The team was 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. The QB's passing numbers were off. The team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes.

The rookies name was Jerry Rice.

But calling the guy a bust after 3 meaningless pre-season games probably isn't an overreaction, smh :(.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I wouldn't say bust, but I will always say we reached mightily to pick him over an OL or Ingram in particular. I will never understand or stop moaning about taking a # 2 or 3 WR with that high of a pick. You take a star #1 WR there or a possible all pro talent at any other position of need.

It appears that Whiz thought the reason our QBs are so bad is that they don't have enough weapons to throw to. His logic appears to be like we just got a better QB by picking a possible number 2 WR. Another illogical thought process by our coach.

Oh, what I would give for Castro or Ingram instead. (and I will never stop saying that about this draft.)

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that thought has never crossed my mind. Do you know my exe wife? she was adept at telling other people what they think as well.

IMO Castro was who we should have picked...plenty of WR's for the third or fourth round.....but since we got the guy and he hasnt been arrested as a serial killer or nothin....might as well give him a chance to show what he can do when the games actually meen something.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I didn't want the Cards to select Floyd but calling him a bust, well...

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'll admit, I'd like to see him start making more plays in these last two preseason games. Calling him a mega-bust already is pretty ridiculous though.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I'll admit, I'd like to see him start making more plays in these last two preseason games. Calling him a mega-bust already is pretty ridiculous though.
But EVERYBODY is thinking it ;).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not thinking it. I don't recall a lot of passes going his way last night. In fact, I don't remember even opne being thrown his way.

Right now, this team has far bigger worries than Floyd.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not thinking it. I don't recall a lot of passes going his way last night. In fact, I don't remember even opne being thrown his way.

Right now, this team has far bigger worries than Floyd.

There was one that was high and behind him that he dropped. Probably should have made that catch but it was a terrible throw.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Weren't there threads last year about Peterson not looking very athletic or explosive and people worrying about him being able to play in the NFL?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whisenhunt brings every first round pick along slowly. To me it's slang for "I'm going to play head games with him like I do every first round pick I've drafted since I've been here to see if he really wants it."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL.

No fear whatsoever. Wow.

If anyone expected Floyd to come in and light it up from day one, they would have been delusional. That rarely happens, and when it does it is either a shock (Boldin) or fully expected (Moss).

Floyd will be fine, and will probably have a much better sophomore year than rookie year, as almost ALL WRs do that end up being good.

It's also kind of hard to judge WRs when the QB is running into sacks, freaking out in the pocket and forgetting his job is to throw the ball and not stare at the pass rush like it's a horror flick.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Weren't there threads last year about Peterson not looking very athletic or explosive and people worrying about him being able to play in the NFL?

Plenty of them. Turned out to be a pro bowler and had a stellar 2nd half defending the pass.

First, it is far too early to be making conclusions about ANY rookie on the roster I. Either direction. The OP already convinced himself long before OTAs that Floyd was a bust.

Second, I think expectations for Floyd's contributions this season need to be pared down. The QB situation is worse than anticipated meaning Floyd is not going to get too many quality passes thrown his way. if he gets 600-700 yards this season, it shouldn't be construed as a failed pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have the QB play to make any WR look good right now. Hell, even Fitz didn't get a catch last night.

Sorry, but this is a stupid thread at point. The only motive I can see is laying the groundwork for an "I told you so" later, and who in the hell wants that to happen?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The only motive I can see is laying the groundwork for an "I told you so" later, and who in the hell wants that to happen?

How much time do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose