Igor's "System"

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Is it me or is Igor's so called system the opposite of what he said he would do?

When we hired him he said he does not have a system and that it will depend on the players he has.

Why exactly is the worst 3pt shooting team in the league using their most efficient scorer to set screens at the 3pt line for jumpshooters to get looks off of screens?

Why is Igor setting targets for us to shoot 30 threes per game or whatever it was?

We are the worst 3pt shooting team by percentage but 22nd in 3pt attemps per game at 29.2.

The Spurs and Clippers are the top two 3pt shooting team by percentage but the bottom two by 3pt attemps per game at under 25.

We have a possibly dominant inside scorer yet design a gameplan to go away from him and use him as a pick setter for guys who have no idea to get the ball to the roll man (except Jackson sometimes) and shoot badly off of screens.
This franchise needs to stop chasing trends and play to their own strengths. There is not just a singular way to win in the NBA.

Booker needs to give up the ball more to Ayton and improve how he plays off the ball ( standing around way too much when he does not have the ball) because Ayton is a great passer for a big man and will find open shooters all day long.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thing I dislike is that booker stands around for the offensive rebound, runs to the open elbow to receive the ball then dribbles away the clock. We do have another guard on the team as well. Usually this causes people to stand around as booker either throws it away or forces a bad shot then cries to the refs. I really wish he'd play off the ball, I don't know if booker does this on his own thinking he's Harden or if Igor thinks Booker is Harden. It takes a special player to do what Harden does, and Booker isn't that guy.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it me or is Igor's so called system the opposite of what he said he would do?

When we hired him he said he does not have a system and that it will depend on the players he has.

I think that's absolutely a fair criticism. Reminds me of Steve Wilks. One of the things I liked most about Igor when he was hired was all the talk of fitting a system to his players and not vice versa. It's probably not the easiest thing to do during the season, especially with injuries, young players, and turnover.

So I guess the optimist in me would hope that a full offseason after a year spent getting to know the team will lead to a better system.

The pessimist in me worries that Igor was saying what people wanted to hear and is not capable of, or interested in, backing it up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Didn't Igor recently reveal that he had to put aside a large percentage of his system because Suns didn't have a point guard who could execute it? I swear I read that within the last month.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Although Kokoskov does not have a rigid system, his offense is built on a series of options on offense and good point guard play.

A good defense is necessary as well.

It is important to understand how important this works together.

I like this article as it gives insight as to how his teams should play.

http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobask...v-the-mastermind-behind-slovenia-s-golden-run
It is an article from an outsider who thinks that what Slovenia was is Igor's system.

Igor has said over and over and over again that he does not have a system!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Igor recently reveal that he had to put aside a large percentage of his system because Suns didn't have a point guard who could execute it? I swear I read that within the last month.

It was said Igor had to simplify his offense. This would probably come under the category of not having good point guard play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an article from an outsider who thinks that what Slovenia was is Igor's system.

Igor has said over and over and over again that he does not have a system!

Every coach has a philosophy of how a team should play whether we call it a system or not.

Having Ayton play up high did not come out of nowhere.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Igor views all of our pg's incompetent, just as he blatantly stated Bender was a g-league player.

If he doesn't have a system then why doesn't he give Ayton the damn ball all the time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ann Meyers got her 2 cents in the other night when she said Ayton is better dropping down to the basket.

Good for Annie for bringing it up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ann Meyers got her 2 cents in the other night when she said Ayton is better dropping down to the basket.

Good for Annie for bringing it up.

She does seem perplexed at certain things that happen throughout the games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She does seem perplexed at certain things that happen throughout the games.

One thing for sure Annie knows basketball and she slides in pertinent comments whenever she can.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Although Kokoskov does not have a rigid system, his offense is built on a series of options on offense and good point guard play.

A good defense is necessary as well.
It is important to understand how important this works together.

I like this article as it gives insight as to how his teams should play.

http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobask...v-the-mastermind-behind-slovenia-s-golden-run

Shouldn't we have a system built around a dynamic 7ft center and a scoring SG? We should not have a system built around what we don't have. I'm no expert but this does not make sense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing for sure Annie knows basketball and she slides in pertinent comments whenever she can.

Yeah she's a Brian Billick clone when it comes to names but she certainly knows the game very well.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Another thing I dislike is that booker stands around for the offensive rebound, runs to the open elbow to receive the ball then dribbles away the clock. We do have another guard on the team as well. Usually this causes people to stand around as booker either throws it away or forces a bad shot then cries to the refs. I really wish he'd play off the ball, I don't know if booker does this on his own thinking he's Harden or if Igor thinks Booker is Harden. It takes a special player to do what Harden does, and Booker isn't that guy.

I agree! But it is also on the GM who, come hell or high water, should have found a serviceable Point Guard so Booker could play off the ball.

And on the Head Coach who, even when a Point Guard is in the game, continues to use Booker as a traditional Point Guard and the traditional Point Guard really doesn't have a role on the court. Both of our backcourt positions are compromised.

And I would be remiss by not including that it is also on the Managing Partner who has made it clear that (a) cheapness (not spending money wisely) is a major factor and (b) that he makes (and overrides) GM decisions.

Lastly, look at the ongoing injuries to our top players. I feel, more than ever, that the incidence is high because players are being asked to do awkward things vs. professional opponents.

If it weren't a problem, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes. Annie needs to speak up more.

It is appropriate to repeat here that I suggest that Annie was our best in-house choice to be GM.

As she was for the Mercury, leading them to multiple titles in the WNBA.

And she fits Sarver's penny pinching for someone already on the corporate payroll.

She knows the kind of Head Coach and roster to select, just as she did on the Mercury.

The question is ... would Robert Sarver let a woman do her job any more than he allows men?

Still another reason why I wish Don Drysdale had not suffered a heart attack.

He'd lean down from 6'6" and get in Sarver's face if he interfered with his wife doing her job.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Good point! Kevin Ray and his constant half-sentences and rambling on and on makes it difficult for any well-mannered color commentator to do her (or his) job smoothly.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
a forum like this is built on fan speculation
but there are some igor oddities, as mentioned here and in other threads,
that we actually hear and see for ourselves
that can't be dismissed via speculative excuses

for example, what other coach in the league would yell "one shot" to their ball handler with 32 seconds to go in the half, resulting in the Kings getting the ball back and a 3-point play to go 19 at half?

and many more...

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good point! Kevin Ray and his constant half-sentences and rambling on and on makes it difficult for any well-mannered color commentator to do her (or his) job smoothly.

i like Kevin Ray more than Tom "elevate & detonate" Leander
and i suspect it is the opposite -- he fills space because Annie isn't colorful enough in her color commentary

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shouldn't we have a system built around a dynamic 7ft center and a scoring SG? We should not have a system built around what we don't have. I'm no expert but this does not make sense.
Replying to these threads is no different than replying in P&R - people are going to love and hate as they love and hate. No one is changing any minds and the subjective is foisted as fact time and again. With that said....

We do go to Ayton for the 5 minutes per game he is interested and engaged. That is my take. If Ayton wants more touches, Ayton can solve that himself. To say that anyone is holding him back, but himself, is silly. If he wants to be dominant, he will be dominant. I think he is at his comfort/interest level for this point in his career. For whatever reason. Watch a game, watch just Ayton, and it becomes apparent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why exactly is the worst 3pt shooting team in the league using their most efficient scorer to set screens at the 3pt line for jumpshooters to get looks off of screens?

Why is Igor setting targets for us to shoot 30 threes per game or whatever it was?

We are the worst 3pt shooting team by percentage but 22nd in 3pt attemps per game at 29.2.

The Spurs and Clippers are the top two 3pt shooting team by percentage but the bottom two by 3pt attemps per game at under 25.

We have a possibly dominant inside scorer yet design a gameplan to go away from him and use him as a pick setter for guys who have no idea to get the ball to the roll man (except Jackson sometimes) and shoot badly off of screens.
This franchise needs to stop chasing trends and play to their own strengths. There is not just a singular way to win in the NBA.

Booker needs to give up the ball more to Ayton and improve how he plays off the ball ( standing around way too much when he does not have the ball) because Ayton is a great passer for a big man and will find open shooters all day long.

Ding ding ding

This got Wilks fired with the Cards and it’s gonna get Igor fired

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Replying to these threads is no different than replying in P&R - people are going to love and hate as they love and hate. No one is changing any minds and the subjective is foisted as fact time and again. With that said....

We do go to Ayton for the 5 minutes per game he is interested and engaged. That is my take. If Ayton wants more touches, Ayton can solve that himself. To say that anyone is holding him back, but himself, is silly. If he wants to be dominant, he will be dominant. I think he is at his comfort/interest level for this point in his career. For whatever reason. Watch a game, watch just Ayton, and it becomes apparent.

This is spot-on!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sometimes young players, particularly humble, team-first players, need a push. I don't think Igor Kokoskov could push a pebble down a mountain of solid ice...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose