Igor's "System"

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by slinslin, Feb 11, 2019.

1. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

Is it me or is Igor's so called system the opposite of what he said he would do?

When we hired him he said he does not have a system and that it will depend on the players he has.

Why exactly is the worst 3pt shooting team in the league using their most efficient scorer to set screens at the 3pt line for jumpshooters to get looks off of screens?

Why is Igor setting targets for us to shoot 30 threes per game or whatever it was?

We are the worst 3pt shooting team by percentage but 22nd in 3pt attemps per game at 29.2.

The Spurs and Clippers are the top two 3pt shooting team by percentage but the bottom two by 3pt attemps per game at under 25.

We have a possibly dominant inside scorer yet design a gameplan to go away from him and use him as a pick setter for guys who have no idea to get the ball to the roll man (except Jackson sometimes) and shoot badly off of screens.
    This franchise needs to stop chasing trends and play to their own strengths. There is not just a singular way to win in the NBA.

Booker needs to give up the ball more to Ayton and improve how he plays off the ball ( standing around way too much when he does not have the ball) because Ayton is a great passer for a big man and will find open shooters all day long.

BC867 likes this.
  2. 95pro

95pro Registered

Another thing I dislike is that booker stands around for the offensive rebound, runs to the open elbow to receive the ball then dribbles away the clock. We do have another guard on the team as well. Usually this causes people to stand around as booker either throws it away or forces a bad shot then cries to the refs. I really wish he'd play off the ball, I don't know if booker does this on his own thinking he's Harden or if Igor thinks Booker is Harden. It takes a special player to do what Harden does, and Booker isn't that guy.

3. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

I think that's absolutely a fair criticism. Reminds me of Steve Wilks. One of the things I liked most about Igor when he was hired was all the talk of fitting a system to his players and not vice versa. It's probably not the easiest thing to do during the season, especially with injuries, young players, and turnover.

So I guess the optimist in me would hope that a full offseason after a year spent getting to know the team will lead to a better system.

The pessimist in me worries that Igor was saying what people wanted to hear and is not capable of, or interested in, backing it up.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

5. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Didn't Igor recently reveal that he had to put aside a large percentage of his system because Suns didn't have a point guard who could execute it? I swear I read that within the last month.

6. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

It is an article from an outsider who thinks that what Slovenia was is Igor's system.

Igor has said over and over and over again that he does not have a system!

7. Mainstreet

It was said Igor had to simplify his offense. This would probably come under the category of not having good point guard play.

8. Mainstreet

Every coach has a philosophy of how a team should play whether we call it a system or not.

Having Ayton play up high did not come out of nowhere.

9. 95pro

95pro Registered

I wonder if Igor views all of our pg's incompetent, just as he blatantly stated Bender was a g-league player.

If he doesn't have a system then why doesn't he give Ayton the damn ball all the time.

10. Mainstreet

I think Ann Meyers got her 2 cents in the other night when she said Ayton is better dropping down to the basket.

Good for Annie for bringing it up.

11. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

This isn't Slovenia or Eurobasket.

BC867 likes this.
  12. 95pro

95pro Registered

She does seem perplexed at certain things that happen throughout the games.

13. Mainstreet

One thing for sure Annie knows basketball and she slides in pertinent comments whenever she can.

14. taz02

taz02 Registered

Shouldn't we have a system built around a dynamic 7ft center and a scoring SG? We should not have a system built around what we don't have. I'm no expert but this does not make sense.

15. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Yeah she's a Brian Billick clone when it comes to names but she certainly knows the game very well.