Igor's "System"

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by slinslin, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Yes. Annie needs to speak up more.

2. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I agree! But it is also on the GM who, come hell or high water, should have found a serviceable Point Guard so Booker could play off the ball.

And on the Head Coach who, even when a Point Guard is in the game, continues to use Booker as a traditional Point Guard and the traditional Point Guard really doesn't have a role on the court. Both of our backcourt positions are compromised.

And I would be remiss by not including that it is also on the Managing Partner who has made it clear that (a) cheapness (not spending money wisely) is a major factor and (b) that he makes (and overrides) GM decisions.

Lastly, look at the ongoing injuries to our top players. I feel, more than ever, that the incidence is high because players are being asked to do awkward things vs. professional opponents.

If it weren't a problem, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. BC867

It is appropriate to repeat here that I suggest that Annie was our best in-house choice to be GM.

As she was for the Mercury, leading them to multiple titles in the WNBA.

And she fits Sarver's penny pinching for someone already on the corporate payroll.

She knows the kind of Head Coach and roster to select, just as she did on the Mercury.

The question is ... would Robert Sarver let a woman do her job any more than he allows men?

Still another reason why I wish Don Drysdale had not suffered a heart attack.

He'd lean down from 6'6" and get in Sarver's face if he interfered with his wife doing her job.

4. BC867

Good point! Kevin Ray and his constant half-sentences and rambling on and on makes it difficult for any well-mannered color commentator to do her (or his) job smoothly.

Mainstreet likes this.
  5. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

a forum like this is built on fan speculation
    but there are some igor oddities, as mentioned here and in other threads,
    that we actually hear and see for ourselves
    that can't be dismissed via speculative excuses

for example, what other coach in the league would yell "one shot" to their ball handler with 32 seconds to go in the half, resulting in the Kings getting the ball back and a 3-point play to go 19 at half?

and many more...

6. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

i like Kevin Ray more than Tom "elevate & detonate" Leander
    and i suspect it is the opposite -- he fills space because Annie isn't colorful enough in her color commentary

7. ArizonaSportsFan

ArizonaSportsFan Registered User

Replying to these threads is no different than replying in P&R - people are going to love and hate as they love and hate. No one is changing any minds and the subjective is foisted as fact time and again. With that said....

We do go to Ayton for the 5 minutes per game he is interested and engaged. That is my take. If Ayton wants more touches, Ayton can solve that himself. To say that anyone is holding him back, but himself, is silly. If he wants to be dominant, he will be dominant. I think he is at his comfort/interest level for this point in his career. For whatever reason. Watch a game, watch just Ayton, and it becomes apparent.

Poop Head, sunsfan88 and SirStefan32 like this.
  8. Finito

Finito Registered

Ding ding ding

This got Wilks fired with the Cards and it’s gonna get Igor fired

9. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

This is spot-on!

CardsSunsDbacks and sunsfan88 like this.
  10. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Sometimes young players, particularly humble, team-first players, need a push. I don't think Igor Kokoskov could push a pebble down a mountain of solid ice...

11. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

Well said. Ayton's issues go far beyond the coaching staff.

Using the Kings game as an example, Joerger does not run many if any at all plays for Bagley and yet he was very effective because of his energy and assertiveness.

Kenneth Faried is like the 4th or 5th option for the Rockets yet he's still finding ways to contribute and make an impact both on the game and his stats.

I believe (hope) Ayton will get better at this as he gains more experience. Staying engaged is just something that he struggles with now.

Kokoskov has some faults but to blame Ayton's issues on him is just not fair imo.

12. Finito

Finito Registered

Oh stop that was by far Bagleys best game of the season.

The game before against Atlanta he had 3 points. Lol. He gets his points in transition for the most part and he’s good st that.

Anyone know what they have done head to head since summer league? Just asking

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. BC867

Except KRay does the same thing to Eddie Johnson. 3-4 words at a time, then a pause, on an on. Until he is interrupted by EJ or Annie (thankfully) or just leaves it hanging. You can hear the difference when he reads a promo. On his own, he never knows where his sentences are going. I find myself screaming at the screen, "FINISH THE DAMN SENTENCE."

Have you listened to him say, "Talking Stick Resort Arena"? It comes out, "Talking Stick Resor Tarena". Weird speech patterns over and over. Not just a catch phrase here and there.

Tom Leander was initially trying to pay tribute by emulating Al McCoy with new catch phrases. Since then, in Mercury games or covering for Kevin Ray, he's moved on.

Leander calls a much smoother game than KRay, whose only reference to what is happening on the court is after the play is over. Sometimes.

Kevin Ray should have gone to Georgia Tech. Because he sure is a "rambling wreck". :) Next time you watch a Suns game, see what you think.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  14. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

i did notice his pauses, particularly last game, and was kind of entertained by finishing his thoughts and seeing if we agreed

but i may be biased
    i liked completing William Shatner's Capt. Kirk dialogue too

15. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

Ayton cant solve that by himself.

Sure he can get better at making it absolutely obvious when to pass to him but that is a hard thing to do if you expect him to do all the work here to get wide open. Not to mention Ayton is required in Igor's offense to set screens at the 3pt line all the time. Hard to get post position when you constantly have to be at the 3pt line to screen for your perimeter players.

The Suns need to run plays for Ayton, currently they do not.

The Suns need a PG that can break down a defense and make the inside pass or the kick-out pass.

Currently we have none of that. The only one who can break down the defense is Josh Jackson but he is super erratic with his finishing but at least the only one showing promise in making the inside passes to Ayton.
    We also have very little movement off the ball.

An example from the Kings game late in the 4th quarter Booker drove to the left of the rim and got his layup blocked. Ayton was open and calling for the lob which would have been an easy slam but Booker did not make that pass, an easy pass that Booker should have seen.

HeHasRosen, BC867 and 95pro like this.