Ian Rapoport Dhop trade likely happening in the next ten days

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can rack up a lot of receiving yards as the best receiver on a bad team. Larry Fitzgerald will make the Hall of Fame after only playing on a couple of winning teams.
Facts… never understood the argument of playing with bad QBs… Many a HOF caliber receiver have put up hella stats with crap QBs. They usally have to throw twice as much. Lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm starting to think they're gonna convince him to stay and rework his deal. Draft heavy on DL, OL, CB.

If we'd be willing to rework his deal he's probably stay. I don't know why it's hard for people to figure this out.

Are you willing to add 2 years to his deal to make that happen?

Hop has a little over $10.5 million in already-paid bonuses counting against the cap the next two years no matter what happens. He has a $30 million cap charge this year currently.

He gets $19 million in salary this season nothing happens. That's why his cap hold is about $30 million.

He wants more guaranteed money, and if he's going to get it from us he probably wants to shift some of that comp forward.

What would make that happen? Maybe a three-year, $100 million extension with $50 million guaranteed? Payouts would look like this:

YearBase SalaryProrated BonusGuaranteed SalaryCap Number
2023$5M$16.9M$5M$21.9M
2024$8M$16.9M$8M$24.9M
2025$12M$6.4M$5M$18.4M
2026$60M$6.4M--$66.4M
2027$60M$6.4M--$66.4M

In that scenario there's a $32M signing bonus and the last two years are super-fake. You can also provide a roster bonus in 2025 and add another year onto the deal for accounting purposes.

I don't know if that moves the needle for Hop, TBH. Maybe?
If asking for a 2nd and change is too much then I’m glad D-Hop is still here.

Yeah... I get that. I'd probably rather watch Hop play than not, but it doesn't help us build for the future.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we'd be willing to rework his deal he's probably stay. I don't know why it's hard for people to figure this out.

Are you willing to add 2 years to his deal to make that happen?

Hop has a little over $10.5 million in already-paid bonuses counting against the cap the next two years no matter what happens. He has a $30 million cap charge this year currently.

He gets $19 million in salary this season nothing happens. That's why his cap hold is about $30 million.

He wants more guaranteed money, and if he's going to get it from us he probably wants to shift some of that comp forward.

What would make that happen? Maybe a three-year, $100 million extension with $50 million guaranteed? Payouts would look like this:

YearBase SalaryProrated BonusGuaranteed SalaryCap Number
2023$5M$16.9M$5M$21.9M
2024$8M$16.9M$8M$24.9M
2025$12M$6.4M$5M$18.4M
2026$60M$6.4M--$66.4M
2027$60M$6.4M--$66.4M

In that scenario there's a $32M signing bonus and the last two years are super-fake. You can also provide a roster bonus in 2025 and add another year onto the deal for accounting purposes.

I don't know if that moves the needle for Hop, TBH. Maybe?

Yeah... I get that. I'd probably rather watch Hop play than not, but it doesn't help us build for the future.
Wait what 66.4 mill cap hit in 26/27 wtf

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just the $6.4 each year...The $60 million is base salary, so wouldn't be guaranteed if he's cut...At least that's how I'm seeing it.
Ok he literally has it in the cap # line on the right though?? See I am a dumb fan even if I didn’t call in :)

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
DeAndre Hopkins can catch anything - minus a new contract. He must be asking for too much because if I'm looking at Dhop as a potential signer the PED suspension wouldn't bother me. Sure, I'd put some iron clad BS in the contract in an attempt to protect my investment - but theoretically that investment should now be had at a cheaper rate. And as far as the age thing goes - the suspension kinda gave him a full year to heal up, not to mention him not even finishing the season.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
DeAndre Hopkins can catch anything - minus a new contract. He must be asking for too much because if I'm looking at Dhop as a potential signer the PED suspension wouldn't bother me. Sure, I'd put some iron clad BS in the contract in an attempt to protect my investment - but theoretically that investment should now be had at a cheaper rate. And as far as the age thing goes - the suspension kinda gave him a full year to heal up, not to mention him not even finishing the season.
He wants to play in Dallas, but for whatever reason Jerrah has it bad for OBJ.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone will absolutely pay a 2nd. If not now then later.

I'd rather a 2nd in September than a 3rd now.
It'll be much harder to create $19 mill in space in September. That will be a requirement unless the Cardinals restructure him, but then we might take on more dead money. He's not an ideal in season trade candidate with his current deal. You risk getting nothing for him by waiting until September because you want a 2nd over a 3rd.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monti asked for tooooo muuuch and now the music is stopping and there aren’t enough chairs.

Oops.
He probably read this board when so many thought we'd easily get a 1st plus more for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It'll be much harder to create $19 mill in space in September. That will be a requirement unless the Cardinals restructure him, but then we might take on more dead money. He's not an ideal in season trade candidate with his current deal. You risk getting nothing for him by waiting until September because you want a 2nd over a 3rd.
The good news is that you don't have to create any cap space to trade DHop. Because there are only two years left on his current deal and his salary in those year is so high, we actually save cap money no matter when we move on from him.

Or how.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good news is that you don't have to create any cap space to trade DHop. Because there are only two years left on his current deal and his salary in those year is so high, we actually save cap money no matter when we move on from him.

Or how.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the team taking him will need $19 million in September, which doesn't happen often. And if they don't have the space they couls ask us to restructure him, it might add more dead money for us.

But yeah, we save $8 million by trading him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose