I need to go camping

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Passed this along to my BIL, he's stoked! He's heading to SE AZ today, so great timing! :thumbup:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That's wild

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

It's awesome. I'm heading to a little valley by Charleston tomorrow, and they have a weather grid that overlaps the valley (it's not a very big valley, maybe half mile across and a mile and a half deep). Gives me good detail as to the weather, including temperature and precipitation.

Last edited:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Went out this weekend to the west side of the Charleston peak (the roads and towns are on the east side of the peak). It was deserted, although there was a well-maintained dirt road right up to the trailhead. The underbrush was a lot thicker than I expected and I didn't get nearly as far into the valley on the first night as I wanted. There was no visible trail.

Instead, we day-hiked further into the valley on Saturday. That was fun, and although the skies opened up on us around noon, good rain gear meant we kept going. Otherwise, the UDAF was spot on; perhaps it was a bit colder than what the forecast predicted, but I have no proof of that.

The lack of water meant seriously-heavy packs going in and very light packs going out. We each carried two gallons of water (1 per person per day), and that worked pretty well; I think we had 1-2 liters left over when we got back to the trail head.

I'd like to explore this area further, but the lack of a reliable water supply either means that I have to carry an ungodly amount of water or that I have to limit excursions to day trips.

Pics coming later.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out this weekend to the west side of the Charleston peak (the roads and towns are on the east side of the peak). It was deserted, although there was a well-maintained dirt road right up to the trailhead. The underbrush was a lot thicker than I expected and I didn't get nearly as far into the valley on the first night as I wanted. There was no visible trail.

Instead, we day-hiked further into the valley on Saturday. That was fun, and although the skies opened up on us around noon, good rain gear meant we kept going. Otherwise, the UDAF was spot on; perhaps it was a bit colder than what the forecast predicted, but I have no proof of that.

The lack of water meant seriously-heavy packs going in and very light packs going out. We each carried two gallons of water (1 per person per day), and that worked pretty well; I think we had 1-2 liters left over when we got back to the trail head.

I'd like to explore this area further, but the lack of a reliable water supply either means that I have to carry an ungodly amount of water or that I have to limit excursions to day trips.

Pics coming later.

Id recommend a water filter but it sounds like you dont have streams or lakes to pull from. Water is stupid heavy.

Reactions: LVG

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Looking for hiking trails in Northern AZ for a three-day hike, if anyone has any recommendations. Would like to have a reliable water supply if possible.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Id recommend a water filter but it sounds like you dont have streams or lakes to pull from. Water is stupid heavy.

That's exactly what it was - no water. No streams, no lakes, not even a mud puddle.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for hiking trails in Northern AZ for a three-day hike, if anyone has any recommendations. Would like to have a reliable water supply if possible.
west clear creek is awesome.

Havasupai is the best there is but you need reservations.

That is all that is on the top of my head for a 3 day hike with water available. There are likely trails on the rim that go by the lakes to replenish water.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
west clear creek is awesome.

Havasupai is the best there is but you need reservations.

That is all that is on the top of my head for a 3 day hike with water available. There are likely trails on the rim that go by the lakes to replenish water.

WCC looks intriguing. Only concern is that it may be too early in the season if there's considerable stream crossing.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WCC looks intriguing. Only concern is that it may be too early in the season if there's considerable stream crossing.

There is a bit of stream crossing but I would imagine its fine at this point. The water is probably above 70 degrees.

Most water near trails are pretty short in arizona. I do think if you want to go long distance over multiple days that rim hiking may be the best bet as there are many lakes and creeks along the way to refresh water supplies.

There are other hikes in the canyon besides supai that come across water as well.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

That's exactly what it was - no water. No streams, no lakes, not even a mud puddle.

I was going to suggest the Life Straw but it can't pull water out of the dirt.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a nice tent by the way. Full fly tents are amazing in storms.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
thats a nice tent by the way. Full fly tents are amazing in storms.

Thank you. I know the Half Dome 2 plus gets knocked for weight, but you can't beat the size, especially when you're a tall guy like me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I know the Half Dome 2 plus gets knocked for weight, but you can't beat the size, especially when you're a tall guy like me.

I have a 2 man hiking tent with full fly that weighs nothing, LOVE that thing. I bought it on craigslist though, it was a hiking backpack, tent, water purifier, jetboil, all kinds of stuff.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a 2 man hiking tent with full fly that weighs nothing, LOVE that thing. I bought it on craigslist though, it was a hiking backpack, tent, water purifier, jetboil, all kinds of stuff.

I've been looking at the BA Scout 2, which weighs a pound. Problem is that it's crazy expensive. I'd like to hit the Ruby Mountain trails sometime in early August, and I'm looking for ways to cut weight for that week.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal with that backpack.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the BA Scout 2, which weighs a pound. Problem is that it's crazy expensive. I'd like to hit the Ruby Mountain trails sometime in early August, and I'm looking for ways to cut weight for that week.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal with that backpack.
I did, it was like $300 I think. The guy had a dirt biking accident and couldnt backpack anymore.

I just looked that tent up, $200, not a bad price for a high end tent and if you get it at a place like REI, they will repair it and etc for you if something happens.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I did, it was like $300 I think. The guy had a dirt biking accident and couldnt backpack anymore.

I just looked that tent up, $200, not a bad price for a high end tent and if you get it at a place like REI, they will repair it and etc for you if something happens.
That's a good find. I have to remember to check the REI website since they're having their annual sale.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good find. I have to remember to check the REI website since they're having their annual sale.
the $200 was just the first price on google FYI, I didnt actually look at REI.