I am vegan; Ask me anything

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any favorite recipes that you would like to post? Do you use oil like olive oil to cook or are you against using certain oils like some plant pure folks?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Good. And great on the indoor part.

Cats are carnivores, dogs are omnivores. Cats need meat to thrive and live. Dogs do not need meat (but like it).[/QUOT

Pottinger proved that cats can live and thrive on milk alone - as long as it is real milk - i.e. not pasteurized. He also showed that cats cannot thrive on cooked meat - they live but their offspring are unhealthy and if they are fed cooked meat only, too, there will not be a third generation.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Do you have any favorite recipes that you would like to post? Do you use oil like olive oil to cook or are you against using certain oils like some plant pure folks?

I'm not a doctor, but I don't have an issue with using vegetable oils.

The recipe that comes to mind is this one for stuffed mushrooms. These are the best stuffed mushrooms I've ever had. I think it is because you cook the mushrooms for a bit, then stuff them, then cook them some more. The moisture level is perfect. Also, the black rice makes a huge difference. [I am now hooked on black rice, btw. If you buy in bulk from Sprouts, it's not that expensive.]

https://minimalistbaker.com/7-ingredient-vegan-stuffed-mushrooms/

You must be registered for see images

That site also has a great recipe for Garlic and White Wine with Brussels Sprouts (which I may have posted before, but it's sooo good!)

https://minimalistbaker.com/garlic-white-wine-pasta-with-brussels-sprouts/

Also, new on the market are Beyond Burgers from Beyond Meat. They're available at Whole Foods (and soon to be on the menu at BurgerFi) and taste just like beef burgers (seriously). Perfect for any upcoming cookouts!

You must be registered for see images attach

http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beyond-burger

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recipe that comes to mind is this one for stuffed mushrooms. These are the best stuffed mushrooms I've ever had.

Thank you so much for posting those recipes. I will definitely try both out. That mushroom one looks delicious - I freaking love mushrooms. I have literally never heard of black rice until just this moment, however, lol

Thanks for posting!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
as a vegan...
how do you come to terms with the venus fly trap?...its a plant...and it eats meat...

Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting those recipes. I will definitely try both out. That mushroom one looks delicious - I freaking love mushrooms. I have literally never heard of black rice until just this moment, however, lol

Thanks for posting!

+1

Love mushrooms. Especially morels from back in Illinois deep fried. Never heard of black rice either. Will have to give it a try.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
as a vegan...
how do you come to terms with the venus fly trap?...its a plant...and it eats meat...

It would be like animals who have to eat other animals to survive, I suppose.

Perhaps that plant will be how the earth defends itself, though. Imagine giant plants eating people to thin out the herd!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It would be like animals who have to eat other animals to survive, I suppose.

Perhaps that plant will be how the earth defends itself, though. Imagine giant plants eating people to thin out the herd!
Imagine it?? Been writing about it....man eating plants are awesome

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god, @krepitch - thank you so much for that mushroom recipe. I just made them and they are absolutely fantastic. The stuffing alone was ridiculously delicious and I could have eaten that by itself. Black rice and vegan parmasean cheese have officially been added to my "love" list.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Oh my god, @krepitch - thank you so much for that mushroom recipe. I just made them and they are absolutely fantastic. The stuffing alone was ridiculously delicious and I could have eaten that by itself. Black rice and vegan parmasean cheese have officially been added to my "love" list.

Woo hoo! :D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told this by a farmer in North Dakota last week.

Did you know that wheat fields are sprayed with Roundup to bring an entire field ready to harvest? They do it to kill any live plants.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Did you know that wheat fields are sprayed with Roundup to bring an entire field ready to harvest? They do it to kill any live plants.
Don’t eat wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Just like the ancient Egyptians.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t eat wheat.

Well, right next to wheat fields are corn, potatoes, canola, soybeans, alfalfa, etc

I shouldn't have been surprised to see the same pre-packaged junkola in the grocery stores there that you see everywhere, but I was. I'm naive.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Those who are 'flexitarians', meaning those who still eat some meat are weakening the vegan movement.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/freeloaders-social-movements-veganism/569020/

Coincidentally, this came out today. Not sure if I posted my thoughts on this elsewhere, but this is almost always the reason for E. coli outbreaks - factory farms produce so much literal Schmidt and are allowed to just liquefy it without treatment and spray it as fertilizer, even when it’s too much for the fields to absorb. So it ends up on crops and poisons people - even vegans.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wondered how that kind of bacteria was found on fruits and vegetables. I was like, huh? I thought it was from meat. Now I know. I had a caesar salad with romaine lettuce for dinner last night, who knew?

It's like the post I made about Roundup. I didn't bother posting it but I kid you not, it wasn't more than 2 days later a report came out about Roundup being in breakfast cereal.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Kel Varnsen The dairy industry is fairly big in New Mexico so I was surprised to see this sign in Spanish, I've rarely even seen one in English.

You've probably seen the English version, this translates more or less to: "Not your mom? Not your milk. Choose vegetarian products".

Here's a link also to Big Ag's fight to combat soy and almond milk, and the move away from animal products. https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/14/opinions/labeling-plant-based-milk-and-meat-baur/index.html

You must be registered for see images attach