I am vegan; Ask me anything

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Slowly the TV series "The Big Bang Theory" is driving me this direction. They are always drinking water on that program. :)

Whoa...I never noticed that. I wonder if that is intentional.

Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik) is vegan in real life, btw. :)

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Have you tried these amazing vegan fast food restaurants?

Veggie Grill http://veggiegrill.com/

Native Foods https://www.nativefoods.com/

My son and I found these places in Southern California last week and they were amazing! The buffalo wings were the best I've ever had, including the ones with real meat.

Yes!

I know the exact route from the Portland airport to the downtown Veggie Grill. I love that place.

I just found Native Foods a few weeks ago in Denver and was blown away by their quality and enormous menu. My non-veg friends loved it, too.

I know both companies are planning to expand and I think Native Foods has a really aggressive plan, so I'm hoping at least one will be in Phoenix before too long. And hopefully in your neck of the woods, too. :)

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Veggie Grill looks awesome!

Ya, it was amazing. Apparently, they have them in Portland (4 hours from us), so we will hit it sooner or later. I had the "Buffalo Bomber", all 3 times, its kind of like a chicken sandwich you can get side orders with it too. The best one was the Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. Not sure what their recipe is, but the ones I found on the net uses 1 to 3 ratio of cauliflower to potatoes.

We also had the Nachos and they use some kind of seitan "meat", it was outstanding.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes!

I know the exact route from the Portland airport to the downtown Veggie Grill. I love that place.

I just found Native Foods a few weeks ago in Denver and was blown away by their quality and enormous menu. My non-veg friends loved it, too.

I know both companies are planning to expand and I think Native Foods has a really aggressive plan, so I'm hoping at least one will be in Phoenix before too long. And hopefully in your neck of the woods, too. :)

Both places were packed with people, good music playing, real nice atmosphere. And I bet 80% of the people in there were not vegans. It didn't take them long to figure out that the taste is incredible so they kept coming back, like us.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope so as well. Both look delicious!

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So let's say I am bringing my vegan wife to the Phoenix area in a few months and looking for a vegan friendly place to stay. Let's also say she is vegan for the love of animals reasons. Are there any hotels or resorts that would be compatible with this mindset, ie. no leather furniture, no veal on the menu, etc?

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not that I know of, but I don't have much reason to look for hotels in the area.

I'll see if I can find something, though. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's say I am bringing my vegan wife to the Phoenix area in a few months and looking for a vegan friendly place to stay. Let's also say she is vegan for the love of animals reasons. Are there any hotels or resorts that would be compatible with this mindset, ie. no leather furniture, no veal on the menu, etc?

I'd say take your mistress instead to a steakhouse. ;)

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd say take your mistress instead to a steakhouse. ;)

Sorry, don't have one of those. And I don't eat meat anyways. :)

My wife's super fun and awesome and its fun to go with her places since once and a while she will throw out some vegan rhetoric to someone. At one restaurant, they asked her what kind of meat she wanted. So she tells them, "I don't want any murdered animals thank you."

Tonight we are out for Thai food. Some guy comes and sits near us talking super loud and is going off about how he used to raise Emus and how their eggs are really good and how their meat tastes good to. So my wife looks at him and says, "Human flesh is really good too!"

Never boring for sure!

Last edited:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not that I know of, but I don't have much reason to look for hotels in the area.

I'll see if I can find something, though. :)

Thanks, no worries. I did some research and didn't find anything. So I thought I would ask the vegan grandmaster!

There is a vegan resort in Mendocino California though.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks, no worries. I did some research and didn't find anything. So I thought I would ask the vegan grandmaster!

There is a vegan resort in Mendocino California though.

If you guys are coming through California, see if you can spend a night at Farm Sanctuary or another sanctuary there. :)

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess to put the above concern in the form of a question to the resident Vegan, is there Vegan bacon and what do we know about its health benefits/concerns?

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I guess to put the above concern in the form of a question to the resident Vegan, is there Vegan bacon and what do we know about its health benefits/concerns?

I like this stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you're concerned about your likelihood of cancer increasing from eating red meat, I think you're much better off not eating meat. Brilliant, right? :mrgreen:

Anyway, this is the list of ingredients. Nothing that appears to come from a lab, which I think is very important.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this stuff.

If you're concerned about your likelihood of cancer increasing from eating red meat, I think you're much better off not eating meat. Brilliant, right? :mrgreen:

Anyway, this is the list of ingredients. Nothing that appears to come from a lab, which I think is very important.

Thanks, is the taste comparable to real bacon?

This processed meat / red meat cancer connection deal is now front page news on CNN.com

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

This processed meat / red meat cancer connection deal is now front page news on CNN.com

That particular kind is a little sweeter and the texture is different.

There are other products that are meant to imitate animal bacon, but I haven't tried many of them. I think this one is fairly popular.

I think if Tofurky or Field Roast comes out with a vegan bacon option, it will be excellent.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Oh, and don't forget that these are soy-based and accidentally vegan. :)