I am vegan; Ask me anything

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw some stories trying to make it into a big controversy.

For me, it doesn’t matter, but it does to some people.

So are they afraid if they eat a smidgen of residual animal protein, they are doomed?

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So are they afraid if they eat a smidgen of residual animal protein, they are doomed?

I’m not really sure, tbh. I think some people might have allergy issues, but there are definitely those who have moral issues with it.

I think it’s good to encourage places like BK to offer these foods and my food being cooked on the regular grill doesn’t impact the number of animals killed for food.

Btw, they have a pretty cool promotion where you get a discount if you buy a cow Whopper and a plant Whopper at the same time. They are encouraging people to try it.

The couple in front of me ordered the combo. Of course, they sat in their booth while staff kept calling them, then complained that their fries were cold and had them thrown away and replaced, so there’s that.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

This seems like an obvious issue that will hurt sales to me (just as a non-drinker wouldn't order a soda with a smidgen of whisky in it). I haven't heard this being an issue at Del Taco or Carl's, so can't quite figure out why BK is having an issue with cooking the Impossible Burger apart from meats. This isn't rocket science.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This seems like an obvious issue that will hurt sales to me (just as a non-drinker wouldn't order a soda with a smidgen of whisky in it). I haven't heard this being an issue at Del Taco or Carl's, so can't quite figure out why BK is having an issue with cooking the Impossible Burger apart from meats. This isn't rocket science.
Two words

Flame Broiled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this in an article:

For now, Burger King says it's not planning to sell the Impossible Whopper forever, and it will only be available for a limited time. For vegetarians who want to stay to a strict meat-free regiment, a spokesperson for Burger King confirmed to TODAY that guests ordering the Impossible burger in stores may ask for the patty to be cooked in the oven instead of grilled alongside other meats.

Do yourself a favor, don't try this during lunch or dinner rush and especially don't near closing time.

https://www.today.com/food/new-burger-king-impossible-whopper-isn-t-vegetarian-t160203

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Long term, I think this is what’s going to happen.

Big ag companies start producing their own slaughter-free foods, either plant-based or cell-grown.

Survival of the fittest.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went to the diamondbacks game the other day and ordered a Mediterranean Veggie Wrap. Split it with my wife. Well it turns out it was a Mediterranean Vegan Wrap and we just misread the menu.

My wife and I kept looking at each other and wondering why there was chicken in it and WTF happened to make the chicken taste so nasty. Needless to say it went in the trash. That fake chicken was the worst thing I have ever tasted!

:barf:

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We went to the diamondbacks game the other day and ordered a Mediterranean Veggie Wrap. Split it with my wife. Well it turns out it was a Mediterranean Vegan Wrap and we just misread the menu.

My wife and I kept looking at each other and wondering why there was chicken in it and WTF happened to make the chicken taste so nasty. Needless to say it went in the trash. That fake chicken was the worst thing I have ever tasted!

:barf:

What a waste of $30. [emoji13]

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Indeed. It wasn't cheap!

I did have a Beyond Burger several months ago when I was in Orlando. I thought it was fantastic!

It’s hit and miss sometimes, but I’m glad you tried the Beyond Burger and enjoyed it. :)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s hit and miss sometimes, but I’m glad you tried the Beyond Burger and enjoyed it. :)

I also have been getting the black bean burger at Smash Burger. It's delicious but I get it with avocado and Bacon! So it's not totally vegan. Mmmm Bacon!!!

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I also have been getting the black bean burger at Smash Burger. It's delicious but I get it with avocado and Bacon! So it's not totally vegan. Mmmm Bacon!!!

I didn’t know they had that. That sounds amazing with avocado. Yum.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I finally remembered the name of the Burger joint. It was at BurgerFi

Oh! I’ve been to one in the east valley. Cool place!

I think they were one of the first to sell them, so I like them for taking a shot. :)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Black bean burgers are really easy to make at home, DYI style.

They also go great with oat milk. :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to try this. My wife is allergic to nuts so this would be great if it's even decent tasting.

You should do well with oats, right horseface??? lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson