Hypo's Post Draft Thoughts

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I haven't been able to post one of these or my pre-draft scouting reports in quite a while, but I wanted to get this out.

This was one of the firsts drafts where we didn't have a ton of glaring needs and we didn't necessarily take the sexy picks (though my girlfriend will disagree as she finds Troy Niklas to be very sexy...go figure).

1. Deone Buchannon

Pros:
  • Big time hitter and solid tackler
  • Quiet by nature off the field, Leader on the field
  • Excellent work ethic in the gym, film room and the practice field
  • Best safety by far in this draft class for zone coverage
  • Very refined zone cover skills. Can bait quarterbacks into making bad throws quite regularly
  • Well above average back pedal and change of direction skills
  • Good field vision and ball awareness. Does not get fooled by play action often
  • Natural hands to go along with his natural ball hawking ability

Cons:
  • Gets overly aggressive and will draw penalties in the NFL
  • In man coverage he will bite on double moves from smaller and quicker WR's
  • Got out of position on some plays at WSU trying to do too much. Possible lack of trust in his teammates
  • Frame to add more weight which may lead to loss of speed and agility
  • Plays with his shoulder pad level too high on occasion near the LoS which makes it difficult for him to leverage blockers effectively knocking him out of the play.
  • Takes wrong angles to the ball carrier at times

Overall Assessment:
A very solid SS for this defense and for this division. This selection took a lot of people by surprise but I'm fairly certain that Deone will win most people over. He adds a fearsome presence to our S's that we haven't had since Adub and he has a better coverage skill set than Adub. Add his playmaking ability to the likes of TM, PP and AC and look out.

Some people doubt his coverage and it's understandable as he wasn't talked up much compared to Pryor and Clinton-Dix and being on WSU didn't help him much either. But one thing that benefits him coming from the poor WSU team is that they used him in many different packages and used him all over the field making him very versatile which will aid him in Todd Bowles system.

Just for comparison sake:
Calvin Pryor: 7 int in 3 years
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: 7 int in 3 years
Richard Sherman: 6 int in 2 years (Played WR for first 3)
Patrick Peterson: 7 int in 3 years
Deone Buchannon: 15 int 4 years

2. Troy Niklas

Pros:
  • Big, strong, natural athlete
  • Softer hands than highlight reels suggest
  • Ahead of learning curve despite only playing TE for 2 years
  • Hard worker in the gym and film room
  • Always in coaches ear trying to learn how to improve
  • Runs crisp short to intermediate routes
  • Good initial hand punch to jolt defenders while blocking

Cons:
  • Despite being naturally strong and big, needs more time in weight room to develop stronger functional strength.
  • Inconsistent technique while blocking can lead to blown blocks
  • Doesn't always get great push in run blocking
  • After initial punch can let defenders into his body giving them leverage
  • Can be tackled easily
  • Girlfriend thinks he's sexy and wants his jersey for her birthday

Can be coached and developed to be BA's version of Heath Miller. Should easily become the best TE we've had here in quite some time.

3. Kareem Martin

Pros:
  • Freakish athlete with great size
  • When he turns the switch on can be as dominate a pass rusher as anyone in this draft.
  • Has experience playing the snap from a standing position
  • Versatile enough to play inside or outside
  • Can bull rush very well with his long arms to maintain separation
  • Can beat you with a bend on the outside
  • Solid strength

Cons:
  • Very inconsistent play due to lack of motivaton
  • When the switch is off is very lazy and won't chase down a play
  • Lacks the discipline to routinely hold containment
  • Has the athleticism to drop into coverage but does not have any experience doing so
  • Wants to play with his hand in the ground; May resist switch to stand up OLB
  • Will can be broken and he can play defeated

Personally, I feel that Kareem Martin can easily be a steal if he realizes his potential. This guy can be a monster pass rusher if that switch gets turned on and stays on. He certainly won't lack for teachers. CC and DD as well as our coaches. It's all in his court whether or not he wants it.

3. John Brown

I really don't know anything about this kid. I'll reserve my judgement for Training Camp.

4. Logan Thomas

Pros:
  • Excellent size and athleticism
  • Good throwing mechanics from the waist up
  • Very strong arm
  • Absorbs knowledge well
  • Puts in extra time in the film room
  • Ability to learn playbook
  • Natural Leader
  • Can extend plays with his feet
  • Solid work ethic
  • A lot more accurate than people think

Cons:
  • Forward lean while dropping back resulting in slower drop
  • Throws at times "from a boat" as he is up on his toes and doesn't have a solid base causing errant throws at times.
  • Routinely would take his eyes from downfield and look for holes in the line that he could run through resulting in missing open receivers
  • Was never afforded the opportunity to grow in a system. He had to learn an entirely different system every year.
  • Never had a QB coach
  • Surrounded by diminishing talent
  • Knows where his receivers are supposed to be at all times but was not able to adjust on the fly if his receivers were out of position.

If we hit on Logan, we hit it big. I personally think that with proper coaching coupled with his work ethic, his natural ability, the talent here and continuity of one system, Logan is in a great spot to succeed. I'm usually pretty skeptical of QB's panning out but having watched every VT game the past 10 or so years and watching this kid play, I don't think he's that far off from being a really good QB.

5. Ed Stinson

Pros:
  • Natural raw power
  • Good bull rush and has good hand technique
  • Smart player and has feel for where the ball is
  • Gives full effort

Cons:
  • Not a speed guy
  • Trouble splitting double teams
  • Relies on effort to make up for lack of great athleticism
  • Tires easily
  • Plays tall when tired

6. Walter Powell

Pros:
  • Very physical receiver
  • Does not fear playing the middle
  • 4.4 speed not 4.64
  • Decent size with frame to add more weight
  • Has decent quickness and can make people miss in open field
  • Wants to hit you
  • Good burst off line

Cons:
  • Catches ball with hands but locks elbows, not allowing for a soft catch. Ball will bounce off hands because there is no give.
  • Ball security. He will often carry ball low and loose which may result in fumbles
  • His physicality may lead to injury in the NFL against bigger, stronger players
  • Not going to win many jump balls.

Reminds me of Anthony Edwards who played for the Cards up until '98.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now, if we can only get a few people to agree with you... you can be upgraded from a hypothesis to a theory lol

:lmao:

But seriously, outstanding write up Hypo.

Get a Troy Niklas fathead and put up in the bedroom. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson