Humphries tore his ACL

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
With how this draft class is looking, I think this is accurate. The biggest impact will be in regards to our ability to add a defensive player in the first round. We are a ways out, but OT and WR seem like the clear value at this point based upon where we are picking and what players are coming out.
I'd be fine with WR/OT in round 1 and then going defense on day 2. Should be some pretty good DTs and CBs, in particular, in that range.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of good OTs and WRs in the draft this year. However, I do agree with K9 that there are not many good LTs in free agency. Some tough decisions for MO to make in both free agency in the draft on the tackle position.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say closer to 9-12 months. It is harder when you are carrying that much weight for your knees to support...
Yeah. I'm not sure he plays much, if at all next year. Not only the weight aspect, but the mental part will be just as big. An OT puts not only their weight on their knees on every play, but also the force of a pass rusher on most plays and it will take time to build that confidence back up.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think we pass on MHJ at 4 if he is still there. We still have lots of ammunition to get a LT if we want one.

Well, if they want to move up into the top 10 to take one of the two top O-Tackles, it will cost the Houston pick and possibly a first new year. (IMO)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think if Hump had been healthy, we'd signed a mid-market free agent LG, and drafted Alt or Fashnau the best option to compete for a playoff spot in 2024 would be to sit the free agent, start Hump at LT, and start the rookie at LG.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision on Hump. FWIW, I think the $9 million in additional cap space isn't going to mean much this offseason. I dunno tho.

I disagree with this. I think that Paris was pretty mid as a RT on his own terms, and wasn't that impressive as a LT prospect coming out of the OSU. It's gonna be a problem if Paris is starting at LT and we're also protecting a rookie RT on the other side of the line as they adjust.

Playing LT at Ohio St got him drafted into the top-10 (would’ve been a top-11 pick regardless of the Cards trading up). His first year ever playing RT was this year. Welcome to the NFL rookie, so yeah he wasn’t anything to ride home about. He’s our LTOTF if we don’t draft Alt.

KiwiCard

Veteran
Reaction score
First and foremost This really sucks for DJ, he seems like genuinely a really good guy.

From a team point of view, I was in the “let’s upgrade from DJ if the right situation occurs, if it doesn’t we stick with him and know we will get dependable LT performance” mind.
We now lose that flexibility and almost certainly have to target T at either FA or draft. Also like it’s been mentioned by others a lot depends on wether the team think PJJ can slide to LT as a long term, I’m going to assume yes.

I think there’s 3 ways I’d look to handle Round one now.

If MHJ is gone when we pick. Take Alt and then take Nabers or Odunze (and trade up to get one if we have to).

If MHJ is available

1) Take him and then draft RT with the second pick (again use capital to get our man of needed)

2) If someone in the 5-10 range offers a QB like package to move up for MHJ, I think I’d take it. Then try and use the Texans Pick + the draft package assets to acquire Alt/Fashanu + Nabers/Odunze + Verse/Newton. So essentially if the right offer was there giving up on MHJ to take three top 20 picks one LT, one WR and a DL player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Playing LT at Ohio St got him drafted into the top-10 (would’ve been a top-11 pick regardless of the Cards trading up). His first year ever playing RT was this year. Welcome to the NFL rookie, so yeah he wasn’t anything to ride home about. He’s our LTOTF if we don’t draft Alt.
He played one season at LT for the OSU and hasn’t even been the best OL in his talent-poor draft class. If he came out this year, he’d likely be a mid-first-round pick.

He’d played on the right side for much of his college career, which made the transition easier. It’s not like he’d been an LT since sixth grade.

Well find out tho! I think it’s more likely PJJ leaves after five years than it is he’s our starting LT in 2027.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He played one season at LT for the OSU and hasn’t even been the best OL in his talent-poor draft class. If he came out this year, he’d likely be a mid-first-round pick.

He’d played on the right side for much of his college career, which made the transition easier. It’s not like he’d been an LT since sixth grade.

Well find out tho! I think it’s more likely PJJ leaves after five years than it is he’s our starting LT in 2027.
which rookie Olineman have been better than him? and why would we pick up his 5th year option and then let him walk? if you pick up the option, it's likely you sign that player long term.

PJJ is our LT of the future.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
which rookie Olineman have been better than him? and why would we pick up his 5th year option and then let him walk? if you pick up the option, it's likely you sign that player long term.

PJJ is our LT of the future.
We’ll see. I see no reason to believe that so far.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Not picking on your K9 but I would think playing RG is different than playing RT.

And he played about 50/50 LT and RG.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not picking on your K9 but I would think playing RG is different than playing RT.

And he played about 50/50 LT and RG.

You must be registered for see images attach
It's different but similar. As I said, "It's not like he was exclusively playing LT since sixth grade. It's really about where your eyes, hands, and feet instinctively go.

Even as a left tackle, I don't see a lot of exceptional traits that are likely to make him better than we had with Hump. I think the most likely scenario is we spent the sixth pick in the 2023 draft to speedrun the results we got with 24th pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

TIL that The Captain's given first name is "Dierrias."

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
This sucks..feel bad for Hump..Cards can't seem to catch a break :(

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can't point to one thing that makes me believe PJJ is the Cardinals future at LT. I can confirm both Fashanu and Alt are rated as better prospects than PJJ. It's not my decision of course but I feel those who are sold on PJJ at LT are hopeful more than anything.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn