How many teams wanted to trade up for number 1 to draft Murray?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'M not going to say ROSEN didn't play well...the TEAM didn't play well, therefore, his "tape" and stats are unfair for him. Receivers had no separation, he was sacked 45 times, no protection in the pocket, incompetent head coach, two Offensive coordinators ...but you can tell he is no good because of stats.....guess you should be an NFL scout.

He wasnt very good based on what anyone could see. Rosen left ALOT of plays on the field. Overthrew a ton of open receivers too.

There is a reason the Cardinals moved on. He was pretty much the worst QB in the National Football League last year. He was even average when he had a clean pocket.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But I really, really hate the concept of "he's your guy now, so stop complaining." No? I will continue to be a critic until proven wrong. It doesn't make me less of a fan.
Correct. It makes you an extremely poor evaluator of football talent. After being proven horrifically wrong on Murray, do everyone a solid and defer judgement on the next polarizing player acquisition.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Correct. It makes you an extremely poor evaluator of football talent. After being proven horrifically wrong on Murray, do everyone a solid and defer judgement on the next polarizing player acquisition.

It has nothing to do with being an evaluator of football talent as a fan. Your "football talent evaluation" as a fan is just as important as his--not at all. Keim, MB, KK...it's their asses on the line as far as evaluating KM's football talent. And I hope and pray they got it right.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't believe we will ever get the truth about the Cardinals and Murray. Was it Kingsbury tossing aside Josh? Was it Keim's choice the whole time? Did Michael make Keim do it at the last minute. We have little inkling outside of whom made the call to Josh to tell him whom they were picking and that was Kingsbury.

So either Keim is a colossal chicken**** or Kingsbury / Michael made the call. As mad as former players have been at Keim, it literally could be either.

So since all we have is conjecture through the entire process including if anyone wanted the #1 pick, if you keep going down this path of anger and disappointment I believe it will just bring more of the same. You are wanting something definitive or something perfect but will get neither.

Simply put: We don’t draft Murray if Kliff Kingsbury isn’t our head coach. I don’t know how on-board Keim was, but from the looks of it, that was a Kingsbury decision

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah man, it makes me an extremely poor evaluator of football talent when the vast majority of the player grades didn't have him as the best player in the draft. I'm just this wild crackpot of football idiocy because I dare to question a guy who had everything around him go exactly right.

"After being proven horrifically wrong on Murray?" My man, rookie minicamp hasn't even started yet. Cool your jets.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins thought #48 was too much.

Just shows how poorly Keim and company handled things. Dolphins knew a later pick would work because the Cards were desperate. They put themselves in that position.

If Murray is your pick you trade Josh long before the draft and get maximum value for a top 10 QB.

No one can take the first pick from you so you're guaranteed to get your guy. No need for smokescreens.

Of course, we have all heard that Murray is to blame because they couldn't get a football-only agreement worked out until just before the draft (according to Keim).

Ineptitude at it's finest. Good GM's don't botch the handling of Josh like Keim and company did. You get everything in place with your pick and trade the other guy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Just shows how poorly Keim and company handled things. Dolphins knew a later pick would work because the Cards were desperate. They put themselves in that position.

If Murray is your pick you trade Josh long before the draft and get maximum value for a top 10 QB.

No one can take the first pick from you so you're guaranteed to get your guy. No need for smokescreens.

Of course, we have all heard that Murray is to blame because they couldn't get a football-only agreement worked out until just before the draft (according to Keim).

Ineptitude at it's finest. Good GM's don't botch the handling of Josh like Keim and company did. You get everything in place with your pick and trade the other guy.
Or Rosen just didn't have the value that a lot of us thought he did. A lot of people were seriously questioning him last year and he didn't exactly play well enough to disprove anything.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah man, it makes me an extremely poor evaluator of football talent when the vast majority of the player grades didn't have him as the best player in the draft. I'm just this wild crackpot of football idiocy because I dare to question a guy who had everything around him go exactly right.

"After being proven horrifically wrong on Murray?" My man, rookie minicamp hasn't even started yet. Cool your jets.
Everything around him went right? Lol. He was 42-0 in high school with 3 TEXAS state championships, transferred after his rookie year, had to sit out a season with the understanding he would start in 2017. Mayfield was almost shockingly granted another tear of eligibility and the two were neck and neck before mayfield kept the job for that season. Murray was PERFECT in his relief appearances. He was then drafted by the A’s but refused to sign without getting permission to play football in ‘18. He then proceeded to be the best player in college football in ‘18. He then still chose to walk away from guaranteed millions in MLB for the chance to play in the NFL. Keep hating if you like. That’s your prerogative. Don’t mind me while I sit back laughing and being excited for the ‘19 season.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Everything around him went right? Lol. He was 42-0 in high school with 3 TEXAS state championships, transferred after his rookie year, had to sit out a season with the understanding he would start in 2017. Mayfield was almost shockingly granted another tear of eligibility and the two were neck and neck before mayfield kept the job for that season. Murray was PERFECT in his relief appearances. He was then drafted by the A’s but refused to sign without getting permission to play football in ‘18. He then proceeded to be the best player in college football in ‘18. He then still chose to walk away from guaranteed millions in MLB for the chance to play in the NFL. Keep hating if you like. That’s your prerogative. Don’t mind me while I sit back laughing and being excited for the ‘19 season.
Doesn't mean I have been proven wrong on anything yet.

Games haven't been played, he hasn't even taken a snap in rookie minicamp. I'll just stand back here skeptical while you laugh excitedly. Enjoy it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or Rosen just didn't have the value that a lot of us thought he did. A lot of people were seriously questioning him last year and he didn't exactly play well enough to disprove anything.

There are plenty of articles out their explaining how poorly this was handled. Cards showed their hand and still tried to bluff. I'd love to play poker with Keim someday. LOL

Even Josh's agent was stunned at how it was handled.

Redskins laughed at Cardinals’ Josh Rosen demands

https://nypost.com/2019/04/29/redskins-laughed-at-cardinals-josh-rosen-demands/

While Arizona was closely linked to eventual No. 1 pick Kyler Murray for months, the Cardinals waited until draft night to begin looking around for trade options for Rosen, their first-round pick of a year prior, according to The MMQB. They took calls from the Giants, Washington and Miami, and shortly after taking Murray, general manager Steve Keim gave Rosen’s agent, Ryan Williams, permission to help find a destination for him. Keim then asked Williams if the Patriots might be interested in Rosen supplanting Tom Brady one day.

Williams was stunned this was only now on his plate. Keim was seeking a first-round pick for Rosen. The Redskins, for one, laughed at the suggestion after the Cardinals had harmed their own leverage.

“That’s really bold for someone who just took a QB,” a Washington executive said.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There are plenty of articles out their explaining how poorly this was handled. Cards showed their hand and still tried to bluff. I'd love to play poker with Keim someday. LOL

Even Josh's agent was stunned at how it was handled.

Redskins laughed at Cardinals’ Josh Rosen demands

https://nypost.com/2019/04/29/redskins-laughed-at-cardinals-josh-rosen-demands/

While Arizona was closely linked to eventual No. 1 pick Kyler Murray for months, the Cardinals waited until draft night to begin looking around for trade options for Rosen, their first-round pick of a year prior, according to The MMQB. They took calls from the Giants, Washington and Miami, and shortly after taking Murray, general manager Steve Keim gave Rosen’s agent, Ryan Williams, permission to help find a destination for him. Keim then asked Williams if the Patriots might be interested in Rosen supplanting Tom Brady one day.

Williams was stunned this was only now on his plate. Keim was seeking a first-round pick for Rosen. The Redskins, for one, laughed at the suggestion after the Cardinals had harmed their own leverage.

“That’s really bold for someone who just took a QB,” a Washington executive said.
I'm not suggesting they couldn't have gotten a better deal had they played it right, but I am not sold that it would have been all that much better. Also I think they wanted to have his replacement on the team and under contract before trading Rosen.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting they couldn't have gotten a better deal had they played it right, but I am not sold that it would have been all that much better. Also I think they wanted to have his replacement on the team and under contract before trading Rosen.

So he signed a contract already? :shrug:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Simply put: We don’t draft Murray if Kliff Kingsbury isn’t our head coach. I don’t know how on-board Keim was, but from the looks of it, that was a Kingsbury decision
Dead on TJ & I've said the same many times.

I also believe Michael had a big day as well & here’s the kicker imo. If you’ve listened to any Keim interviews here lately, he said some telling things as well. He said he didn’t want to like Kyler Murray, I’m assuming because he had a QB & a 1st round one at that. He went on saying as he reviewed the film all he could say was wow! And then wow again & again & again. I know for a fact he wanted Russell Wilson & failed to pull the trigger on him. I think he wasn’t going to let the regret occur again regardless of circumstances. I think Keim played a role after K2’s recommendations of whom he wanted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson