How many potentially great QB's just were never put in the right position?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since football is such a team game.. I wonder if there are some QB's who would have been truly excellent in the right situation who just never got the chance. It seems like these days it is easier to assess the qb's skill set. I think most people think for instance that Bortles is Bortles... I guess Nick Foles could be a good example? How many qb's end up doing poorly for several years because of the pieces around them? There really doesn't seem to be too many. It seems like the really good QB's of today lift up the players around them, no matter what their situation, at least to the point where they are almost always at the very least a slightly above average team over lets say a five year span... They might have a couple bad years in their career (like Aaron Rogers the last year) but overall they have a fairly good winning percentage.

It just makes me think about the draft.. It seems other than QB it doesn't matter who we draft 1st, if we make the wrong moves in free agency and other draft picks we could be the worst team in the NFL with the best player other than a QB, even if for instance Bosa because a top five defensive player in the league.. . I'm not so sure Patrick Peterson doesn't give us more on Defense than any other player we could have. It did not help our winning percentage. I think if we had a top 3 qb like we have a top 3 cb we would have won quite a few more games.. We were historically bad but we still had some winnable games.

I see some pretty lousy teams that have some of the best players if not best player at different positions but almost never the qb. If you have a top five qb in the league overall I think you will be good for most years.. for some reason if someone like Murray became the next Russell Wilson it would almost ensure in the long run that the team will most of the time be above average.. Maybe Rosen can get there too though...

We've never had a good qb for a decade or longer.. It would be great to have an above average team almost every year. One can hope..

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They changed scerary but I wonder if they would have ended up good and successful eventually, Joe Thomas was never successful although he may be considered the best Olineman ever. Rich Gannon and Tim Couch might be a little iffy in the top 10 qb at the time talk.. Gannon may have been a little bit more of a scheme qb than one of the best qbs... Couch.. I remember watching him in the NFL and wasn't impressed. He seemed to bad reads and throws that didn't always have to do with the team around him but it can be hard to tell..

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Its a great question. What if Brady wasn't drafted by the Patriots?

There were plenty of QB's that got drafted into the wrong system or a bad situation and failed. Maybe even some that weren't drafted at all (again, what if the Patriots don't draft Brady in the 6th...does he go undrafted and not get an opportunity)?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great question without an answer as you can't go back but just wonder what if?? The coach, system and supporting team makes all the difference between success and failure.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Its a great question. What if Brady wasn't drafted by the Patriots?

There were plenty of QB's that got drafted into the wrong system or a bad situation and failed. Maybe even some that weren't drafted at all (again, what if the Patriots don't draft Brady in the 6th...does he go undrafted and not get an opportunity)?
I don’t want to discount Brady’s accomplishments because he’s the GOAT, but he doesn’t have half of the accolades without his coaching staff. Forget Belichick; how many awesome coordinators has he been around?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Makes you wonder what if Cards had paid up and signed Joe Namath instead of being tight.
Think about the old SF 49ers in the late 50`s..Y.A.Tittle and John Brodie …...Title started for years then got traded to NYG and was better than ever on the wa to a HOF career.Brodie did well and had a very good career also.Sonny Jurgensen in Philly backed up Norm Van Brocklin for a few years then started after NVB retired and then got traded to Redskins and had a HOF career.Right place right time makes a difference.Then there are some guys who get thrown into the fire as rookie QBs and never really recover (Norm Snead for example-you fellow older guys will remember him)started as a rookie QB on a bad Redskins team and was battered ..after several years got traded to bad Eagles team..rinse repeat...….. did make 4 Pro Bowls in his career but his record as a starting QB 52-100-7 . 16 year career and played on only one winning team.Wrong place wrong time.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Many. I don’t think there’s much talent/innate difference between say Matt Ryan and Matt Leinart.

Leinart is not Matt Ryan.. many coaches and former QB's have spoken up about Leinhart's mental makeup and why it hurt him in the pros.. if he was that good he would be a backup at the very least.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah that was sad that kid never had a chance

I might agree to that.. and there are probably a handful of instances.. but in today's NFL if you are one of the best QB's you are usually able to contribute significantly.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I might agree to that.. and there are probably a handful of instances.. but in today's NFL if you are one of the best QB's you are usually able to contribute significantly.

I can’t think of any rookie QB in history who would have had success under McCoy, Wilks, Leftwich, behind that offensive line and then losing Christian Kirk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
lots

Kurt Warner was in two different NFL training camps, and Dick Vermiel admits that they had little idea what they had until Trent Green went down

somewhere on the web there is the Brady story: it took a Damon (or Brock ?) Huard injury at backup QB in the preseason to fully lock down his roster spot his second year. What if Drew Bledsoe doesnt get injured?

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mean that if a QB is good and they get to play they do make a significant difference for the team 90%+ of the time.. if you have the worst oline in history or don't have one receiver who can catch the ball than yes the qb won't be successful. I mean when they feel the QB is good and he gets to play, how many years does he go without have a good season? I don't recall many.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t want to discount Brady’s accomplishments because he’s the GOAT, but he doesn’t have half of the accolades without his coaching staff. Forget Belichick; how many awesome coordinators has he been around?
Or..how many coordinators did he make look awesome?!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Feel like Tim Couch would’ve been really good elsewhere

Don’t forget that Brett Favre, Rich Gannon, and Steve Young needed change to be great

Arians said that about Couch. Said he was a phenomenal QB, was just in an awful situation.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Zero.

You have that backwards all those NE coordinators have been garbage the second they left Brady not one has gone on to have any kind of real success

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jim Plunkett. Drafted by the Patriots, who played on a concrete-like Astroturf surface at the time, took the greatest passer in the college game and had him running options and otherwise getting absolutely creamed behind a horrendous OL. Traded to the pitiful 49ers where he continued to get beaten up. Finally cut, signed with Raiders, winds up winning 2 Super Bowls in the twilight of his bizarre career. If he'd gone to a decent team that protected him and used him right? Who knows how his career would have turned out.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I can’t think of any rookie QB in history who would have had success under McCoy, Wilks, Leftwich, behind that offensive line and then losing Christian Kirk

Your namesake Timm Rosenbach had a somewhat murky tenure with the Cardinals. I know there where the injuries but also if I remember correctly it was not handled well... at least according to him

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Your namesake Timm Rosenbach had a somewhat murky tenure with the Cardinals. I know there where the injuries but also if I remember correctly it was not handled well... at least according to him

It took 20 years for Arizona to get a respectable franchise after Bill Bidwill moved the team to the Valley. Timm Rosenbach was a reach in a supplemental draft, was handled poorly, blew his knee out in snap drills and then didn’t rehabilitate like he would have with the proper support. Hence my namesake. No way Michael B lets his goon draft Murray. I guarantee it

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Carr and Joey Harrington. Both guys were sacked so much, we never got to see what they were!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson