How Close Are The Cardinals?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They have an elite QB and an elite RB and a good offensive line.

Compared to the Cards they have an elite offense.

They're offensive line is not that good. They're a good run-blocking line, but they aren't great at pass-blocking, which is why Wilson's mobility is so important.

Also, it's not as important for them to pass block, because Wilson needs gaps in his line to read the field becuase of his height. Their offense is one of a kind.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zero playoff wins

that is the reality

We've played ONE playoff game with a third string QB. How does that figure into your reality? How many teams in the playoffs this year could have won any games playing their 3rd string QB?

I can't buy into the gloom and doom. Considering the injuries, this team over-performed. I think with the team we have now in the FO and our coaching staff, this coming year will be very successful. We have as much chance of making it to the SB next year as anyone else with a little luck and no injuries to our key players.

I have a lot of confidence in Mike Bidwill and BASK. They know talent and have the ability to coach up players. Plus we have players who WANT to win and love playing for this organization. Never count out how much that can mean in the won/lost column.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We've played ONE playoff game with a third string QB. How does that figure into your reality? How many teams in the playoffs this year could have won any games playing their 3rd string QB?

I can't buy into the gloom and doom. Considering the injuries, this team over-performed. I think with the team we have now in the FO and our coaching staff, this coming year will be very successful. We have as much chance of making it to the SB next year as anyone else with a little luck and no injuries to our key players.

I have a lot of confidence in Mike Bidwill and BASK. They know talent and have the ability to coach up players. Plus we have players who WANT to win and love playing for this organization. Never count out how much that can mean in the won/lost column.

I don't believe there should be doom and gloom, but I do think it needs to be understood that we still need to take another step or two to be a realistic Super Bowl contender and top team.

We still can't run the ball.

Our passing game is very inconsistent.

We can't rush the passer without blitzing, and this year the blitz wasn't working.

We struggle to cover the middle of the field because of sub par coverage LBs.

Our special teams are poor.

Those are five pretty big issues that need to be addressed. The only thing we do above average as a team is stop the run.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there should be doom and gloom, but I do think it needs to be understood that we still need to take another step or two to be a realistic Super Bowl contender and top team.

We can't rush the passer without blitzing, and this year the blitz wasn't working.

Those are five pretty big issues that need to be addressed. The only thing we do above average as a team is stop the run.

With Ellington coming back and Taylor and Williams in the mix who now have some experience, our running game should improve.

Our passing game wasn't that inconsistent when Palmer was in there. A 6 and 0 record means something was being done right when he was playing. We made points when we had to have them and that didn't happen consistently with Stanton.

We do need a true pass rusher. That can be addressed through FA or draft.

Our LB crew was decimated due to injury and NFL punishment. I expect it to be better this coming season.

Our special teams were poor the last half of the season. Injuries and poor performances from Ginn were the causes. It should be better next year when we are at full strength and send Ginn packing.

I am not saying this team is perfect, but no NFL team ever is. There are always holes. We have the ingredients to be successful. A few more top notch players, some luck and a winning attitude should get us there. If we had a Wilson or Rodgers at QB, everything else would fall into place. Palmer can get us there, but we need a true QBOTF to stay at a high level.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With Ellington coming back and Taylor and Williams in the mix who now have some experience, our running game should improve.

Our passing game wasn't that inconsistent when Palmer was in there. A 6 and 0 record means something was being done right when he was playing. We made points when we had to have them and that didn't happen consistently with Stanton.

We do need a true pass rusher. That can be addressed through FA or draft.

Our LB crew was decimated due to injury and NFL punishment. I expect it to be better this coming season.

Our special teams were poor the last half of the season. Injuries and poor performances from Ginn were the causes. It should be better next year when we are at full strength and send Ginn packing.

I am not saying this team is perfect, but no NFL team ever is. There are always holes. We have the ingredients to be successful. A few more top notch players, some luck and a winning attitude should get us there. If we had a Wilson or Rodgers at QB, everything else would fall into place. Palmer can get us there, but we need a true QBOTF to stay at a high level.

See, we were 6-0, but we were not consistent. Winning does not equal consistency in a league designed for parity. We won close games. We had several turnovers while we were winning. Those aren't things you can count on. What game this year did we look like a top 10 NFL offense? None.

LB crew decimated by injury? OLB maybe. ILB was due to a lack of talent, and Washington getting suspended which wasn't something new. Why is it going to be magically better? Washington has to stay clean, and he still has a pending suspension for DV. Foote is likely to retire, which means the best of a bad group is gone.

As far as special teams go, bad is bad. I agree part of it was due to Ginn, but even if you cut him loose, you have to find someone better. Also, our punting game is dependant on an old punter getting healthy. I'm not sure that can be counted on.

Every year, every team has the opportunity to get better. If you aren't, you are just falling behind. We have a lot of holes to fill just to stay at our current level, and even more to do if we want to take that next step. You reference a QBOF but if it was that easy, more teams would have them. With Palmer, our margin for error is much less which means our roster has to have less holes than the Packers, Patriots, Colts, Saints, Panthers, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers, Ravens and so on.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
See, we were 6-0, but we were not consistent. Winning does not equal consistency in a league designed for parity. We won close games. We had several turnovers while we were winning. Those aren't things you can count on. What game this year did we look like a top 10 NFL offense? None.

LB crew decimated by injury? OLB maybe. ILB was due to a lack of talent, and Washington getting suspended which wasn't something new. Why is it going to be magically better? Washington has to stay clean, and he still has a pending suspension for DV. Foote is likely to retire, which means the best of a bad group is gone.

As far as special teams go, bad is bad. I agree part of it was due to Ginn, but even if you cut him loose, you have to find someone better. Also, our punting game is dependant on an old punter getting healthy. I'm not sure that can be counted on.

Every year, every team has the opportunity to get better. If you aren't, you are just falling behind. We have a lot of holes to fill just to stay at our current level, and even more to do if we want to take that next step. You reference a QBOF but if it was that easy, more teams would have them. With Palmer, our margin for error is much less which means our roster has to have less holes than the Packers, Patriots, Colts, Saints, Panthers, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers, Ravens and so on.

Some thoughts from me Chopper: Of course you were right about not looking like a top 10 offense while we were winning. Do not disregard however, that BA stressed, practiced, and played to take advantage of situational football. Good Special Teams. Strong in the Red Zone. Take advantage of ends of halves, and ends of games etc. This philosophy will help us win, even when we are not a top 10 offense, and will allow us to get stronger yet on the O-line, just as we have gotten stronger at TE by grooming our own. Maybe we bring in a FA at O-line, and even TE.

We MUST get better at Special Teams, but I see our O-line and TE positions going pretty well this year, especially if we do the above in Free Agency. If we draft a 'quality' RB, (a big tough between the tackles guy that can take the load off Ellington), yet get the tough yards, and break one ever so often. Then we can change our whole offensive philosophy to where we will force teams to play 8 in the box against us, thus opening up the passing game just a little more. The law of averages says that Palmer is not injured as much next year. It is such a huge advantage if you can provide a power running game, especially late in games to control the clock and keep our defense rested. There are several draftable backs that could do this job for us. Adding one WR/KR in the draft could help ST's very much.

So far as LB is concerned, Washington will almost surely play this year, at least some of it. We are in position to draft a very good ILB, and Free Agency might give us an OLB, with the draft complementing at DE. The defense could be better than last year, if Foote and Dockett return. We may have to TAG Williams in the Middle of the line, but if Ta'amu can return to health, we should be able to put up a very stout, and fairly deep 7 man front.

Picking up one CB in the draft should keep our secondary strong and deep, even if we can't keep Cromartie. Peterson would need to return to the days where he actually played like a top Corner, rather than just talking about it though. We should be VERY strong AND deep at the Safety position.

As I see it, the key to our continued success, is whether or not Keim is able to negotiate something positive with Fitz and Dockett, and get our CAP in line. We have about three years to develop a QBOF so I would go after the UCLA guy in the draft to compete with Logan Thomas.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think we are very far,our offense even with palmer struggle to make more then 2 touchdowns for game.

teams like falcons and giants who got just few wins this year have more chances

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Errant snap in Charger game
Giants fumbling in redzone despite not being touched
Niners penalty debacle after controlling game
John Brown catching TD with elbows in final minutes
Brandon Weeden
Kirk Cousins and Austin Davis meltdowns after trailing early
Fortunate calls/spots in Lions/Chiefs games

Need to start off games stronger comes to mind right away. Late game comebacks are exciting but you can't rely on them.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errant snap in Charger game
Giants fumbling in redzone despite not being touched
Niners penalty debacle after controlling game
John Brown catching TD with elbows in final minutes
Brandon Weeden
Kirk Cousins and Austin Davis meltdowns after trailing early
Fortunate calls/spots in Lions/Chiefs games

Need to start off games stronger comes to mind right away. Late game comebacks are exciting but you can't rely on them.

totally agree with u.
our team was much more competitive in 2013

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i think we are very far,our offense even with palmer struggle to make more then 2 touchdowns for game.

teams like falcons and giants who got just few wins this year have more chances
The games Palmer started after his injury the Cards scored 30, 24, 24, 28, and 31. Project that over a 16 game season and the Cards would have been 7th in scoring. The offense is fine with CP playing.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

A punter is rarely drafted and with all of the college programs out there if the team can't find a good punter to come in and compete in training camp being signed as a UDFA then they are doing something wrong. Hell sign a couple after the draft and see how it all shakes out. The cost is minimal.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A punter is rarely drafted and with all of the college programs out there if the team can't find a good punter to come in and compete in training camp being signed as a UDFA then they are doing something wrong. Hell sign a couple after the draft and see how it all shakes out. The cost is minimal.

That is what we did this year, and we saw how it played out in the playoffs. Right now we are too deficiant in too many areas to be a Super Bowl contender. It isn't that we can't get there, but we aren't there yet for sure.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The games Palmer started after his injury the Cards scored 30, 24, 24, 28, and 31. Project that over a 16 game season and the Cards would have been 7th in scoring. The offense is fine with CP playing.

Ah... "after his injury." Why exclude the 18 points against the Chargers in Week 1?

And why not talk about the points the OFFENSE scored, instead of the Cards? Because the defense scored 7 points against Washington in a Rashard Johnson INT return? Because the defense scored 14 points against St. Louis?

The intellectual dishonesty you're displaying here is really breathtaking. Like, extraordinarily dishonest.

The better argument is, IMO, that Ellington being healthy for 16 games plus a better alternative for a 2nd running back is going to make the offense better overall. There are a lot of ways to win football games, and scoring 35 points a game is just one of those. Getting to the point when you're scoring 35 points a game will require sacrifices to the defense that aren't necessary right now.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
That is what we did this year, and we saw how it played out in the playoffs. Right now we are too deficiant in too many areas to be a Super Bowl contender. It isn't that we can't get there, but we aren't there yet for sure.

Okay maybe I am not understanding something here. Butler wasn't a rookie, he had punted for the Steelers before the Cardinals. Am I wrong using the acronym UDFA to mean Undrafted Free Agent? Isn't that what they call any player not drafted? If I am mistaken then let me know. I am referring to signing a couple of guys out of college who do not get drafted and try them out if Zastudil doesn't come back from his injury. There has to be a couple of decent punters in the college ranks.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
In watching the NFC and AFC Championship games I started to wonder just how close the Cardinals are to competing for the Lombardi trophy.

The Cardinals have made important strides the past two seasons---there is no question about that. But, let's ask ourselves the tough questions. I will pose them and provide my own answers---but I am particularly interested in yours.

1. Do the Cardinals have the right ownership?

With the mergence of Michael Bidwill, I really believe the Cardinals do have the right ownership. Michael ate the rest of Whisenhunt's and his coaches' salaries and let Rod Graves go in order to promote Steve Keim and hire Bruce Arians and a record number of assistants. Michael Bidwill has made it clear: he wants to win championships and he will make the best decisions he can and write the biggest checks he can to accomplish that goal.

2. Do the Cardinals have the right GM?

Steve Keim has done a wonderful job of building up the depth and talent base of the football team---and he is a tireless worker.

That said---as he enters his third year---a year that he himself signaled as the key year in his three-year plan---we are going to learn a lot about Keim's sense of direction and fortitude.

Keim hired Bruce Arians---he made the trade for QB Carson Palmer---he signed LT Jared Veldheer---he was able to sign a number of veteran free agents at or even below market value such as Karlos Dansby, John Abraham, Larry Foote, Antonio Cromartie and Tommy Kelly.

Keim has found some late draft pick, undrafted college free agent and waiver wire gems in Andre Ellington, Chandler Catanzaro, Kerwynn Williams, Jaron Brown, Darren Fells, Almeda Ta'amu, Ed Stinson, Josh Mauro, Tony Jefferson, etc.

On the other hand, Keim has taken some measured gambles in agreeing to pay ILB Daryl Washington his $10M bonus in the wake of Washington's off-field transgressions. He made Patrick Peterson the highest paid CB in the NFL, despite the fact that Peterson lost interest in returning punts and has not dominated his position in the manner that one would expect from an athlete of his caliber. He and Arians waited all summer on DE John Abraham to report and got burned. And lastly, Keim re-signed Carson Palmer to a lucrative three year contract extension a few weeks after a mysterious shoulder injury that kept him sidelines for nearly a month, only to watch Palmer land on the season-ending IR three days later and watch him question his future with the team in his presser following the injury.

Keim has shown that he wants to be pro-active in re-signing the core players on the team. Hopefully, Keim's effort in this regard will be rewarded at some point.

Where Keim was not as pro-active this past season was in failing to add a hammer RB following Jonathan Dwyer's early dismissal from the team. There were some opportunities there that Keim did not capitalize on. And then the decision to re-acquire QB Ryan Lindley when a veteran QB was needed, turned out to be a regrettable one. Not that Keim had good options to work with---but---it was also regrettable that Keim drafted a QB in the 4th round and that player was not a viable option for playing time when the Cardinals needed it most.

Speaking of Keim's drafts---this is another area that deserves a fair degree of scrutiny. Keim hailed his inaugural pick G Jonathan Cooper as the next Reggie McKenzie and despite a leg injury Cooper was unable to beat out smallish veteran guard Ted Larsen this year. Ugh. Keim's second pick in that draft, ILB Kevin Minter, has been a disappointment thus far and has not been the run stuffer he was drafted to be. Plus, he has been a liability in coverage. Keim took a measured gamble on Tyrann Mathieu in the third round---and the Honey Badger was fantastic in year one, but not the same player in year two following his knee injury late in season one. Alex Okafor in round 4 is looking like a bargain pick at this point...and Andre Ellington in round 6 was a sensational steal.

This past year's draft has some promise as SS Deone Bucannon is the kind of physical big hitter the secondary needs. TE Troy Niklas is the kind of burly TE the team needs if he can shake the constant injury bug. WR John Brown was the Ellington of this year's draft. QB Logan Thomas is even more of a question mark moving forward at this point, but DEs Kareem Martin and Ed Stinson really need to step up in order for Keim's 2nd draft to be considered a good one.

This off-season, Keim, as we know, faces a number of very difficult personnel decisions. He has to try to find a way to create valuable cap space in order to add key free agents while dealing with Larry Fitzgerald's projected $23.5M cap figure, Darnell Dockett's exorbitant cap figure and Daryl Washington's on-going disciplinary and contract issues.

Keim has to make important decisions on the team's current free agents, most notably CB Antonio Cromartie, NT Dan Williams, CB Justin Bethel, LB Larry Foote, G Paul Fanaica and DE Tommy Kelly.

The immediate team needs are at RG, NT, ILB, OLB, and CB.

In addition, whether Keim publicly admits it or not, he cannot feel entirely comfortable with the current QB situation, especially in light of how QB unfriendly at times Bruce Arians' offense can be.

We are going to learn a lot about Steve Keim this off-season. Whether the team continues to take takes forward or will start to regress is largely dependent on the decisions he makes over the next six months.

3. Do the Cardinals have the right Head Coach?

Bruce Arians has turned around the fortunes and the direction of this organization with his vision, his passion and his knack for "coaching up" the players and motivating them. No question about it.

This third year is a huge year for Arians as well because there are deficiencies and weaknesses in the personnel and in the schemes that need to be addressed and hopefully solved.

One of the reasons why Bill Cowher used to butt heads with Whisenhunt and Arians in Pittsburgh is that Cowher wanted to stress the running game and his OC's wanted to highlight the passing game.

Now that Arians is a head coach and now that we can see more than ever this year in the playoffs the need for a formidable, tough running game, Arians is going to have to start focusing his attention on it more and he is going to have to start demanding it from his players.

In addition, for two years straight Arians has put up with return men who look flat-out chicken in that role. Both Peterson and Ted Ginn Jr. are two of the more electrifying return men in the NFL and yet under Arians neither one of them stepped up to the plate.

In short, Arians needs to make his football team tougher and hold them more accountable. Arians needs to create a beast mode in AZ.

Interestingly, it wasn't until the Cowboys focused on drafting offensive linemen and relinquished HC Jason Garrett of his play-calling duties, that they suddenly found their own beast mode in the running game. Therefore, it might not be such a bad idea for Arians to consider hiring an OC, so that he can focus evenly on the entire football team.

4. Do the Cardinals have the right DC?

Watching the Packers go into another defensive meltdown down the stretch yesterday in Seattle, gave us another glimpse into how fortunate we were to have Todd Bowles as the Cardinals' DC, especially late in close games.

It seems Arians wants to promote the new DC from within---and it looks like he wants to tab his long-time colleague Nick Rapone and give Rapone the help he needs by hiring Dick LeBeau as defensive guru.

Obviously, Rapone is an unknown. He has an excellent college coaching resume and has had two years to get his feet wet in the NFL.

However, if the Cardinals truly have their sights squarely on the Super Bowl, why don't they pursue a DC with proven NFL abilities?

We will have to see how this unravels...but the scenario seems odd. if anything, LeBeau should be hired as DC with the thought of him grooming Rapone to be his successor. That is, unless LeBeau is actually happier being the guru, a la Tom Moore. But, knowing LeBeau, that wouldn't seem to be the case. Like BA, LeBeau loves the challenge of coordinating his side of the ball and making all the calls on game day. They live for this stuff.

5. Do the Cardinals have the right QB?

Carson Palmer is tough and he is resilient. Plus, he has shown a command of the offense. But---Ryan Lindley has almost as much playoff experience at this point as Palmer has. Odd to think of it that way, but it's true. There is something about Palmer that just doesn't feel right. That's strictly my own feeling---and if we indeed go ahead with Palmer and he can hold up physically and mentally, then I hope I am flat-out mistaken.

The important thing is that BA believes in Palmer and BA's confidence in him is obviously extremely important.

6. Can the Cardinals win the NFC West next year?

On paper right now---one could argue that the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams have the edge in talent and toughness across the board.

Much needs to be accomplished roster-wise, player development-wise and coaching-wise if the Cardinals are going to challenge for the division title again next year. The Cardinals need a real leader to emerge on offense who is going to make them especially tough, they need to become a tackling, sacking, intercepting force on defense, and they need to morph into a consistent dynamo on special teams.

It should be interesting to watch BA&SK put their hard work to the test.
I honestly just think we need to drop Lindley, find a veteran back-up, and we'll be good to go.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Perfectly said about Ellington. It's hard to erase the image of him diving repeatedly to the turf and trying to crawl for yards instead of running for them. Yet, the team was still winning anyway at that point. But we all knew Ellington was not going to last much longer---but---nothing changed in the way he was used. Strange---especially considering that the year before BA was very cautious about over-working Ellington.

Ellington is very good but not the big power RB we desperately need. He will suffer more injuries if we try to make him our primary RB.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ellington is very good but not the big power RB we desperately need. He will suffer more injuries if we try to make him our primary RB.

We need a beast RB like Lynch from Seattle. He takes no prisoners. You may not like his personalty but you have to like the effort.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
You stated our needs as RG, NT, OLB, ILB and CB.

Then also mentioned the QB position or B/U position still in flux.

Which position in your mind is the greatest need as of this moment?

I might argue it could be CB or ILB or possibly RT.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I saw this. Healthy Palmer and I doubt our offense would have done nothing with Seattle's missed field goals when we played them at their place. We are not that far away, as much as a team can no longer really be that far out in front. We have a great head coach. If Palmer can stand up right like he did for a season the first time after his knee injury, we have a better than average chance

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Until we get a total game changer at QB we will be far away.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I saw this. Healthy Palmer and I doubt our offense would have done nothing with Seattle's missed field goals when we played them at their place. We are not that far away, as much as a team can no longer really be that far out in front. We have a great head coach. If Palmer can stand up right like he did for a season the first time after his knee injury, we have a better than average chance

+1

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This is an upper third of the NFL kind of team. Ought to contend for the playoffs for the near term. Once you get in....... Some good but not great Giants teams won SBs on the back of a very solid D and Eli manning plAying 25pts above his career QB rating for three games in the playoffs.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With you, the glass is half empty. With me, it's half full. I put my faith in BA and SK to be able to do what is necessary to keep this team at a high level. Apparently, you don't. Just a difference in opinions.

We've been getting better for the past two years. Why do you think we are suddenly going to start going backwards? Do you honestly believe injuries had nothing to do with losing 4 out of the last 5 games? And do you honestly believe all the above mentioned teams have QB's that are head and shoulders above Palmer?

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They're offensive line is not that good. They're a good run-blocking line, but they aren't great at pass-blocking, which is why Wilson's mobility is so important.

Also, it's not as important for them to pass block, because Wilson needs gaps in his line to read the field becuase of his height. Their offense is one of a kind.
I actually think they're a good line in both areas. Wilson scrambles because they have very sub-par receivers. They have no one with speed on the outside and no good route runners. Wilson is an awesome QB and can operate in the pocket if dudes get open.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yep, totally agree with all of this. I think we're further away from a SB than most. Seattle won that game with special teams basically. They're well built and well rounded. If they hadn't won that way they'd have won another way.

It's one thing to win 10 and 11 games. Another thing entirely to go to a SB. Even had Palmer been healthy, I don't think we were good enough.

We have glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard