How Close Are The Cardinals?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In watching the NFC and AFC Championship games I started to wonder just how close the Cardinals are to competing for the Lombardi trophy.

The Cardinals have made important strides the past two seasons---there is no question about that. But, let's ask ourselves the tough questions. I will pose them and provide my own answers---but I am particularly interested in yours.

1. Do the Cardinals have the right ownership?

With the mergence of Michael Bidwill, I really believe the Cardinals do have the right ownership. Michael ate the rest of Whisenhunt's and his coaches' salaries and let Rod Graves go in order to promote Steve Keim and hire Bruce Arians and a record number of assistants. Michael Bidwill has made it clear: he wants to win championships and he will make the best decisions he can and write the biggest checks he can to accomplish that goal.

2. Do the Cardinals have the right GM?

Steve Keim has done a wonderful job of building up the depth and talent base of the football team---and he is a tireless worker.

That said---as he enters his third year---a year that he himself signaled as the key year in his three-year plan---we are going to learn a lot about Keim's sense of direction and fortitude.

Keim hired Bruce Arians---he made the trade for QB Carson Palmer---he signed LT Jared Veldheer---he was able to sign a number of veteran free agents at or even below market value such as Karlos Dansby, John Abraham, Larry Foote, Antonio Cromartie and Tommy Kelly.

Keim has found some late draft pick, undrafted college free agent and waiver wire gems in Andre Ellington, Chandler Catanzaro, Kerwynn Williams, Jaron Brown, Darren Fells, Almeda Ta'amu, Ed Stinson, Josh Mauro, Tony Jefferson, etc.

On the other hand, Keim has taken some measured gambles in agreeing to pay ILB Daryl Washington his $10M bonus in the wake of Washington's off-field transgressions. He made Patrick Peterson the highest paid CB in the NFL, despite the fact that Peterson lost interest in returning punts and has not dominated his position in the manner that one would expect from an athlete of his caliber. He and Arians waited all summer on DE John Abraham to report and got burned. And lastly, Keim re-signed Carson Palmer to a lucrative three year contract extension a few weeks after a mysterious shoulder injury that kept him sidelines for nearly a month, only to watch Palmer land on the season-ending IR three days later and watch him question his future with the team in his presser following the injury.

Keim has shown that he wants to be pro-active in re-signing the core players on the team. Hopefully, Keim's effort in this regard will be rewarded at some point.

Where Keim was not as pro-active this past season was in failing to add a hammer RB following Jonathan Dwyer's early dismissal from the team. There were some opportunities there that Keim did not capitalize on. And then the decision to re-acquire QB Ryan Lindley when a veteran QB was needed, turned out to be a regrettable one. Not that Keim had good options to work with---but---it was also regrettable that Keim drafted a QB in the 4th round and that player was not a viable option for playing time when the Cardinals needed it most.

Speaking of Keim's drafts---this is another area that deserves a fair degree of scrutiny. Keim hailed his inaugural pick G Jonathan Cooper as the next Reggie McKenzie and despite a leg injury Cooper was unable to beat out smallish veteran guard Ted Larsen this year. Ugh. Keim's second pick in that draft, ILB Kevin Minter, has been a disappointment thus far and has not been the run stuffer he was drafted to be. Plus, he has been a liability in coverage. Keim took a measured gamble on Tyrann Mathieu in the third round---and the Honey Badger was fantastic in year one, but not the same player in year two following his knee injury late in season one. Alex Okafor in round 4 is looking like a bargain pick at this point...and Andre Ellington in round 6 was a sensational steal.

This past year's draft has some promise as SS Deone Bucannon is the kind of physical big hitter the secondary needs. TE Troy Niklas is the kind of burly TE the team needs if he can shake the constant injury bug. WR John Brown was the Ellington of this year's draft. QB Logan Thomas is even more of a question mark moving forward at this point, but DEs Kareem Martin and Ed Stinson really need to step up in order for Keim's 2nd draft to be considered a good one.

This off-season, Keim, as we know, faces a number of very difficult personnel decisions. He has to try to find a way to create valuable cap space in order to add key free agents while dealing with Larry Fitzgerald's projected $23.5M cap figure, Darnell Dockett's exorbitant cap figure and Daryl Washington's on-going disciplinary and contract issues.

Keim has to make important decisions on the team's current free agents, most notably CB Antonio Cromartie, NT Dan Williams, CB Justin Bethel, LB Larry Foote, G Paul Fanaica and DE Tommy Kelly.

The immediate team needs are at RG, NT, ILB, OLB, and CB.

In addition, whether Keim publicly admits it or not, he cannot feel entirely comfortable with the current QB situation, especially in light of how QB unfriendly at times Bruce Arians' offense can be.

We are going to learn a lot about Steve Keim this off-season. Whether the team continues to take takes forward or will start to regress is largely dependent on the decisions he makes over the next six months.

3. Do the Cardinals have the right Head Coach?

Bruce Arians has turned around the fortunes and the direction of this organization with his vision, his passion and his knack for "coaching up" the players and motivating them. No question about it.

This third year is a huge year for Arians as well because there are deficiencies and weaknesses in the personnel and in the schemes that need to be addressed and hopefully solved.

One of the reasons why Bill Cowher used to butt heads with Whisenhunt and Arians in Pittsburgh is that Cowher wanted to stress the running game and his OC's wanted to highlight the passing game.

Now that Arians is a head coach and now that we can see more than ever this year in the playoffs the need for a formidable, tough running game, Arians is going to have to start focusing his attention on it more and he is going to have to start demanding it from his players.

In addition, for two years straight Arians has put up with return men who look flat-out chicken in that role. Both Peterson and Ted Ginn Jr. are two of the more electrifying return men in the NFL and yet under Arians neither one of them stepped up to the plate.

In short, Arians needs to make his football team tougher and hold them more accountable. Arians needs to create a beast mode in AZ.

Interestingly, it wasn't until the Cowboys focused on drafting offensive linemen and relinquished HC Jason Garrett of his play-calling duties, that they suddenly found their own beast mode in the running game. Therefore, it might not be such a bad idea for Arians to consider hiring an OC, so that he can focus evenly on the entire football team.

4. Do the Cardinals have the right DC?

Watching the Packers go into another defensive meltdown down the stretch yesterday in Seattle, gave us another glimpse into how fortunate we were to have Todd Bowles as the Cardinals' DC, especially late in close games.

It seems Arians wants to promote the new DC from within---and it looks like he wants to tab his long-time colleague Nick Rapone and give Rapone the help he needs by hiring Dick LeBeau as defensive guru.

Obviously, Rapone is an unknown. He has an excellent college coaching resume and has had two years to get his feet wet in the NFL.

However, if the Cardinals truly have their sights squarely on the Super Bowl, why don't they pursue a DC with proven NFL abilities?

We will have to see how this unravels...but the scenario seems odd. if anything, LeBeau should be hired as DC with the thought of him grooming Rapone to be his successor. That is, unless LeBeau is actually happier being the guru, a la Tom Moore. But, knowing LeBeau, that wouldn't seem to be the case. Like BA, LeBeau loves the challenge of coordinating his side of the ball and making all the calls on game day. They live for this stuff.

5. Do the Cardinals have the right QB?

Carson Palmer is tough and he is resilient. Plus, he has shown a command of the offense. But---Ryan Lindley has almost as much playoff experience at this point as Palmer has. Odd to think of it that way, but it's true. There is something about Palmer that just doesn't feel right. That's strictly my own feeling---and if we indeed go ahead with Palmer and he can hold up physically and mentally, then I hope I am flat-out mistaken.

The important thing is that BA believes in Palmer and BA's confidence in him is obviously extremely important.

6. Can the Cardinals win the NFC West next year?

On paper right now---one could argue that the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams have the edge in talent and toughness across the board.

Much needs to be accomplished roster-wise, player development-wise and coaching-wise if the Cardinals are going to challenge for the division title again next year. The Cardinals need a real leader to emerge on offense who is going to make them especially tough, they need to become a tackling, sacking, intercepting force on defense, and they need to morph into a consistent dynamo on special teams.

It should be interesting to watch BA&SK put their hard work to the test.

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We are the Cards. We are what we are. Having an outside chance on rare occassion is probably the best we will ever see. That is just who we are.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more about the need for a "hammer" running back and am surprised you didn't include that in your immediate needs. I am concerned that, as you indicate, Arians may not be committed to a strong running game. It was uncomfortable to see how Ellington was used last year.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
We are the Cards. We are what we are. Having an outside chance on rare occassion is probably the best we will ever see. That is just who we are.

Concise but correct. Bidwill is not Kraft or some of the other owners who have a burning need to win. The record of the Big Red documents that fact. New England before being bought by Kraft were like the Cardinals. They were nothing special. The mismanagement of QB once Stanton was injured was pure Bidwill. Instead of going after a vet QB he goes cheap and does not care if the product on the field is an embarrassment to its fans. The games in which Lindley played were so bad that they they were cringe worthy. No matter to Bidwill there will be another season and fans will be back.

It is as if Bidwill going back to his Dad thinks injuries are a player weakness or a coaching failure and if encouraged by the owner will be a regular occurrence. Who was last big regular season upgrade added to make up for an injury?

Bidwill failures:

'07 not paying Warner his passing percentage completion bonus of 500K over missing it by amount to right of decimal point

'09 letting FA Warner talk to SF after taking Big Red to only Super Bowl. ESPN raked Bidwill over the coals for falling back into old ways in very public way

Whiz had signed Anderson and scrubs to play QB. Anderson was bust and Big Red going cheap on backups resulted in most embarrassing QB play prior to Lindley. Bulger bacame available after Anderson had been signed and Bidwill said no for financial reasons according to AZ Republic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

As long-time Cardinals' fans, it's very challenging to try to purge ourselves of the stigmas of the past.

In BA's first year, we are playing well and peaking at the right time while winning 10 games---and we are relatively healthy, especially at the QB position---and we don't qualify for the playoffs.

In year two, we win 11 games and have a chance to win the NFC West and the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs and we lose both QBs.

Very frustrating, for sure.

However, Arians has the Cardinals playing competitively in every game.

We have never seen that over a two year period, let alone for one year even.

What this suggests is a change in the culture and in the day to day, week to week preparation.

If once again the Cardinals are competitive in every game next year, some breaks could finally come our way.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice write up Walter. I am hoping we hire Dick Lebeau and he runs the defense while teaching his replacement for a couple years. I don't think we will have a problem with Dockett taking a pay cut. I am really hoping we find away to re-sign Cromartie and bring in at least one pass rusher if not two. One in the draft and a guy like Bryan Orakpo.

Bringing back Larry Foote and D-Wash would help out a lot but I wouldn't mind either drafting or signing another ILB just in case Kevin Minter doesn't step up this year. Even if we re-sign Cromartie I would like us to draft another CB high. Deone Bucannon is the guy I am most worried about on our defense. Is he going to be able to cover anyone or not next year or will he be strictly an in the box safety.

On offense signing a guard like Orlando Franklin should be a very high priority. A power RB can be had easily with many choices in the draft and free agency. I want us to get another QB. I don't like Stanton or Logan Thomas as our number two. I am hoping like all of us that we find away to keep Fitz but to keep him we will have to overpay. Fitz will not be cheap. Yes he is a nice guy but I think he will back Steve Kiem in a corner and make him release him with too high contract demands. Then we will need to get another receiver.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more about the need for a "hammer" running back and am surprised you didn't include that in your immediate needs. I am concerned that, as you indicate, Arians may not be committed to a strong running game. It was uncomfortable to see how Ellington was used last year.

Perfectly said about Ellington. It's hard to erase the image of him diving repeatedly to the turf and trying to crawl for yards instead of running for them. Yet, the team was still winning anyway at that point. But we all knew Ellington was not going to last much longer---but---nothing changed in the way he was used. Strange---especially considering that the year before BA was very cautious about over-working Ellington.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Concise but correct. Bidwill is not Kraft or some of the other owners who have a burning need to win. The record of the Big Red documents that fact. New England before being bought by Kraft were like the Cardinals. They were nothing special. The mismanagement of QB once Stanton was injured was pure Bidwill. Instead of going after a vet QB he goes cheap and does not care if the product on the field is an embarrassment to its fans. The games in which Lindley played were so bad that they they were cringe worthy. No matter to Bidwill there will be another season and fans will be back.

It is as if Bidwill going back to his Dad thinks injuries are a player weakness or a coaching failure and if encouraged by the owner will be a regular occurrence.

Bidwill failures:

'07 not paying Warner his passing percentage completion bones of 500K over missing it by amount to right of decimal point

'09 letting FA Warner talk to SF after taking Big Red to only Super Bowl. ESPN raked Bidwill over the coals for falling back into old ways in very public way

Whiz had signed Anderson and scrubs to play QB. Anderson was bust and Big Red going cheap on backups resulted in most embarrassing QB play prior to Lindley. Bulger bacame available after Anderson had been signed and Bidwill said no for financial reasons according to AZ Republic.

Honestly, I don't think the Bidwills are standing in the team's way any more. They have shown a far improved financial commitment to the team and have now put the team in very good hands---and even paid for added coaches.

The decision to re-sign Lindley came from BA&SK. At the time, they thought Drew Stanton would hold up. By the time Stanton got hurt, it was almost impossible to add a new QB, teach him the offense and get him ready to play.

Now---where BA&SK could be scrutinized is for not making a deal for a QB before the trading deadline. The Broncos game and having to use Logan Thomas should have been a signal to BA&SK that they had better bolster the position, if indeed there focus was to go all the way.

But---part of the problem is---BA doesn't feel comfortable bringing in QBs on the fly because his offense is tough to command. BA is a put his eggs all in one QB basket kind of coach---and hopefully this past season will prove to him that it would be a wise thing to have all the QBs take reps every week.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking back on the year it is easy to downgrade the whole team because the season ended on such a downward spiral.

However, we can't lose perspective of all the KEY injuries. No way New England is in the playoffs if you match the same injuries to their squad.

What I see are two great need along with other "yearly" needs.

We need two fast ILB. Guys that can blitz up the middle and get there fast and cover sideline to sideline. Many times when we blitzed we simply couldn't get there quick enough. Toward the end we all seen the liability of Foote. Great leader but SLOW. Washington can be one of those ILB ...but when?

The second biggest need we have is a bruising RB. In todays NFL you simply cannot ask you O-line to blow open 3 yard holes. To many times we watched Ellington try to dodge a tackle and go down way to easily. We need a RB that can run inside and thru a 1 on 1 tackle sometimes to get that 2 or 3 yards. Without that element the defense can take too much away from our offense.

IMO this years "yearly needs" are basically resigning or replacing our current soon to be F/A. Cro and Williams I believe are two guys that need to be resigned or we need to find their replacements.
We could use an OLB , however, if we find those 2 speedy ILB as mentioned above it would take the pressure off this position a LITTLE bit.

QB. Sooner or later we are going to need to address the future of this position. How, when, and where we can find this guy is beyond me. Is ther a Russell Wilson out there in the 3rd round? I can't see us putting ANY eggs in LT's basket. Drew Stanton is nothing more than a 2 or 3 game replacement and we really don't know the status of Palmer. The foundation of this position is built on sand. Maybe Mike Glennon or maybe even a guy like Sam Bradford, who I know is injury prone, but he would not be expected to be the starter here..at least for now. To go into next season status quo would be a huge mistake.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No secret, injuries derailed ARZ's season. But, the offseason will be huge in determining if ARZ could get closer than they got this season.

I mean if ARZ can figure out a way to do the following, one could say they would be poised to end up minimally in the playoffs and potentially in the SB:

1. Replace Bowles with someone at least on the same level (ie LaBeau)
2. Bring back Fitz, DD, Cro & Dumpster Dan.
3. Add pass rusher(s), playmakers and depth via draft.
4. Acquire QBOF as Stanton ain't it.
5. STAY HEALTHY.

Again, $$$ will determine if they can do everything above but if Keim can find a way then ARZ should be extremely close. They have everything else: management, GM, coaching staff.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards are that far off at all. A healthy Palmer or Stanton and they likely get the #1 seed in the NFC.

If everyone is back healthy and signed (Fitz/Dock/D.Williams) I would have no problem picking the Cards to represent the NFC in the SB. However, at this point my apprehension is for waiting to see how the D-Coord plays out and who they hire.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Where is the money to re-sign the Cards FA?Until Fitz situation is done one way or the other the Cards are in limbo.As for the draft Cards need to do the GreenBay QB routine-that is draft one every year.Counting on two 30ish injured QBs and a long shot long term Logan Thomas for the most important position on the field is walking on very thin ice.Do we really want to go thru that again?
Like others a RB who can make his own hole for some yards is a big need even if just to keep the defense honest.
Fitz-I like Fitz but its time to either give up some money to help keep this team together or go elsewhere and take your big dollars with you.
I think re-signing Cromartie at CB is a must unless Cards feel good about starting a rookie from this years draft.There are several very good CBs in this draft class.
Another question is Dockett? His leadership and loyalty is great..................but his production is declining and his salary is too high.Keeping him and Fitz would show loyalty to players but is it really a good business decision?Cards have other needs OLINE.LBs ,that can be filled by the draft .

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is as if Bidwill going back to his Dad thinks injuries are a player weakness or a coaching failure and if encouraged by the owner will be a regular occurrence. Who was last big regular season upgrade added to make up for an injury?

Bidwill failures:

'07 not paying Warner his passing percentage completion bonus of 500K over missing it by amount to right of decimal point

new SN - bashingbidwillmyMO

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice write up Walter. I am hoping we hire Dick Lebeau and he runs the defense while teaching his replacement for a couple years. I don't think we will have a problem with Dockett taking a pay cut. I am really hoping we find away to re-sign Cromartie and bring in at least one pass rusher if not two. One in the draft and a guy like Bryan Orakpo.

Bringing back Larry Foote and D-Wash would help out a lot but I wouldn't mind either drafting or signing another ILB just in case Kevin Minter doesn't step up this year. Even if we re-sign Cromartie I would like us to draft another CB high. Deone Bucannon is the guy I am most worried about on our defense. Is he going to be able to cover anyone or not next year or will he be strictly an in the box safety.

On offense signing a guard like Orlando Franklin should be a very high priority. A power RB can be had easily with many choices in the draft and free agency. I want us to get another QB. I don't like Stanton or Logan Thomas as our number two. I am hoping like all of us that we find away to keep Fitz but to keep him we will have to overpay. Fitz will not be cheap. Yes he is a nice guy but I think he will back Steve Kiem in a corner and make him release him with too high contract demands. Then we will need to get another receiver.

Really good points, as usual, Gary!

I would like to share with you and everyone else my own thoughts about each of the personnel scenarios you speak of:

1. Dick LeBeau. Give him the DC job. Period. The guy is a legend. Instant cred. Plus he probably lands us OLBs Jason Worilds and Arthur Moats.

Mike Nolan? As knowledgeable as he is---man was he bad in ATL. Worst 3rd down conversion % in NFL.

Can anyone say why BA&SK haven't shown interest in Vic Fangio?

And even though he may be unproven, I really like Nick Rapone's track record as a defensive coordinator in college. This guy is innovative and smart.

2. Darnell Dockett. We need tough guys and leaders and Dock is both. If he can help the team by taking a reasonable pay cut, it would be great to see him bounce back.

3. Brian Orakpo. Agree, if Worilds, the younger option, is f-tagged (don't think he will be) or signs somewhere else.

4. Larry Foote. If Dick LeBeau coaches in AZ, Foote will forget about retiring. He was fantastic this year...and really set the tone as a sure tackler. Once he started ailing the whole defense suffered.

5. Daryl Washington. It's just such a bad precedent to keep this guy on the team. I get the sense that under BA&SK the Cardinals aren't begging for players any more or letting players hold the team hostage any more. I think D-Wash will be emphatically dumped, if they can't trade him.

6. Kevin Minter. He needs to lose some weight and get in tip-top shape. Then let's see what happens. No need to quit on him just yet.

7. Antonio Cromartie. I think he is a big-city guy who will get good money from a big-city team. I am all in favor of investing in CB Justin Bethel and as you said, drafting a CB this year. Plus, if LeBeau signs, Ike Taylor could be added for veteran depth. Taylor loves LeBeau. Not sure just how much he has left in the tank, but being a veteran presence in this young secondary on a daily basis would reap some strong rewards.

8. Deone Bucannon. I don't have any doubts about this kid as a SS. He was a rookie playing out of position because of a glaring weakness in the personnel. He becomes our version of Kam Chancellor. He's a big hitter and he has the speed to blanket TEs and RBs. Wait until Dick LeBeau gets his hands on him!

9. Orlando Franklin. I too hope we sign him or Mike Iupati. The one thing i wonder however is now that Anthony Steen is getting back to full health, this kid could be a gem. I wonder what Harold Goodwin thinks of Steen. I also have my eye on a few guards in this draft such as A.J. Cann (South Carolina), Arie Kouandjio (Alabama), John Miller (Louisville) and Jamon Brown (Louisville).

10. Drew Stanton. I too want to see a younger #2 who can challenge Carson Palmer for the starting job. I really like the thought of trading for Mike Glennon or Nick Foles. I think both guys are a fit. The other curious scenario i can think of is whether the Bengals will be willing to trade Andy Dalton. I know he's struggled in the playoffs and many people have their doubts, but I think BA could turn him into a Super Bowl contender. I really do. I am not feeling optimistic about Logan Thomas and feel that they should convert him to TE asap.

11. Larry Fitzgerald. Michael Bidwill is saying that it is going to be relatively easy to find a way to keep Fitz. While I agree with you that Fitz may want to drive a hard bargain and ask that his agent and he see what he could command in a trade---I think Michael Bidwill will do his best to keep Fitz. Fitz is one of the few Cardinals' players who has gone into the beast mode in games. We need that from Fitz and he is willing and able to bring it. Hopefully, BA has a plan to unleash the beast in Fitz next year. If not, Fitz, like you said, will ask his way to another team.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Really good points, as usual, Gary!

I would like to share with you and everyone else my own thoughts about each of the personnel scenarios you speak of:

1. Dick LeBeau. Give him the DC job. Period. The guy is a legend. Instant cred. Plus he probably lands us OLBs Jason Worilds and Arthur Moats.

Mike Nolan? As knowledgeable as he is---man was he bad in ATL. Worst 3rd down conversion % in NFL.

Can anyone say why BA&SK haven't shown interest in Vic Fangio?

And even though he may be unproven, I really like Nick Rapone's track record as a defensive coordinator in college. This guy is innovative and smart.

2. Darnell Dockett. We need tough guys and leaders and Dock is both. If he can help the team by taking a reasonable pay cut, it would be great to see him bounce back.

3. Brian Orakpo. Agree, if Worilds, the younger option, is f-tagged (don't think he will be) or signs somewhere else.

4. Larry Foote. If Dick LeBeau coaches in AZ, Foote will forget about retiring. He was fantastic this year...and really set the tone as a sure tackler. Once he started ailing the whole defense suffered.

5. Daryl Washington. It's just such a bad precedent to keep this guy on the team. I get the sense that under BA&SK the Cardinals aren't begging for players any more or letting players hold the team hostage any more. I think D-Wash will be emphatically dumped, if they can't trade him.

6. Kevin Minter. He needs to lose some weight and get in tip-top shape. Then let's see what happens. No need to quit on him just yet.

7. Antonio Cromartie. I think he is a big-city guy who will get good money from a big-city team. I am all in favor of investing in CB Justin Bethel and as you said, drafting a CB this year. Plus, if LeBeau signs, Ike Taylor could be added for veteran depth. Taylor loves LeBeau. Not sure just how much he has left in the tank, but being a veteran presence in this young secondary on a daily basis would reap some strong rewards.

8. Deone Bucannon. I don't have any doubts about this kid as a SS. He was a rookie playing out of position because of a glaring weakness in the personnel. He becomes our version of Kam Chancellor. He's a big hitter and he has the speed to blanket TEs and RBs. Wait until Dick LeBeau gets his hands on him!

9. Orlando Franklin. I too hope we sign him or Mike Iupati. The one thing i wonder however is now that Anthony Steen is getting back to full health, this kid could be a gem. I wonder what Harold Goodwin thinks of Steen. I also have my eye on a few guards in this draft such as A.J. Cann (South Carolina), Arie Kouandjio (Alabama), John Miller (Louisville) and Jamon Brown (Louisville).

10. Drew Stanton. I too want to see a younger #2 who can challenge Carson Palmer for the starting job. I really like the thought of trading for Mike Glennon or Nick Foles. I think both guys are a fit. The other curious scenario i can think of is whether the Bengals will be willing to trade Andy Dalton. I know he's struggled in the playoffs and many people have their doubts, but I think BA could turn him into a Super Bowl contender. I really do. I am not feeling optimistic about Logan Thomas and feel that they should convert him to TE asap.

11. Larry Fitzgerald. Michael Bidwill is saying that it is going to be relatively easy to find a way to keep Fitz. While I agree with you that Fitz may want to drive a hard bargain and ask that his agent and he see what he could command in a trade---I think Michael Bidwill will do his best to keep Fitz. Fitz is one of the few Cardinals' players who has gone into the beast mode in games. We need that from Fitz and he is willing and able to bring it. Hopefully, BA has a plan to unleash the beast in Fitz next year. If not, Fitz, like you said, will ask his way to another team.

Good points Mitch ,but I still see a Cards team right now way too dependent on a 2 30something injured QBs to drive the train
A former marquee WR who has lost some skills to age although the system is not one which highlights his former starring role.
Dockett-a vocal aging highly paid Dlineman whose cap numbers go up while his production goes down'
Foote is slowing down,good team guy though,maybe a reduced role with incentives.
As for DWashington-counting on him for anything is just plain dumb.Don`t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.
I just don`t see the Cards being big players for big dollar FAs without having to gut the team of several veteran contracts.

Last edited:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
From a money standpoint, dumping DWash doesn't make any sense and I don't think it saves us much money. I think he stays, I think he plays well and redeems himself. He might still get another suspension to start the year though.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good points Mitch ,but I still see a Cards team right now way too dependent on a 2 30something injured QBs to drive the train
A former marquee WR who has lost some skills to age although the system is not one which highlights his former starring role.
Dockett-a vocal aging highly paid Dlineman whose cap numbers go up while his production goes down'
Foote is slowing down,good team guy though,maybe a reduced role with incentives.
As for DWashington-counting on him for anything is just plain dumb.Don`t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.
I just don`t see the Cards being big players for big dollar FAs without having to gut the team of several veteran contracts.

I agree on your take of the QB situation, BW. However, indications thus far are that BA&SK are fine with the status quo. It will be interesting to see if "upon further review" that changes.

I really don't think Fitz's skills are declining---he never was fleet afoot---but in recent years he has become tougher and more hard-nosed. I think his numbers are down because he now has more options around him while teams still tilt their safeties toward him. There is a good reason why Michael Floyd had put up his biggest numbers when Fitz is on the field. I think where Fitz is not being used properly is in the red zone. i can't recall one fade or back shoulder throw in his direction all year. And I think that if BA assures Fitz of more focus on him in the red zone, then Fitz would be happy to stay on at a reasonable salary, even in his current role.

Dockett has to be willing to take a pay cut---and I think he will. He is dieting and rehabbing like a fiend right now. The guy really wants it. And like I said we need his special brand of toughness. Now that we have good depth at DE, sharing snaps would be a boon for Dockett at this stage in his career.

Foote has another good year in him. If LeBeau comes on board, I would expect him to return. if not, it's maybe 50/50, depending on whether BA&SK have another ILB in mind either in FA or the draft. This time around they take Foote off the field in the nickel and dime packages, unless they use him to shadow Wilson or Kaepernick.

This off-season in FA could surprise us. Mike Disner is a genius at working the cap and the Cardinals are now very much a hot team for FAs.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think just as important if not even more important than the players is what BA/SK is going to do. Are they going to sit down and have frank discussions not only about the players but over their performance. Will they admit where they went wrong and what they did right. What can they do to improve upon their weaknesses.

Can BA admit maybe the Palmer/Stanton/Thomas trio is shaky and they need to investigate other options. Will they look at the RB situation and say what we have isn't quite cutting it and we need to pursue a big back or will they say it's good enough?

Will SK say to BA look maybe it's time you give up the play calling and hand it over to some one else and be more focused on the entire team and would BA be willing to accept this?

I think items like this need to be hashed out before any player personnel changes are made. Are they able to ask themselves the big question "Where can we as a GM and HC get better"

By the way Mitch I too find trading for Dalton a very viable option as I think being under the tutelage of BA and TM could improve his performances. I also think having LeBeau on staff would attract some good defensive players to the team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
"How close are the Cardinals" to what Mitch? I think the Cards are close to being a perennial post-season contender - mainly because of ownership and BASK. But, are they close to getting back to a Super Bowl, dare I say winning a Super Bowl? No, they're not. Let me clarify:

- I think Palmer is good enough to win a Super Bowl - IF everything else is in place and operating at maximum efficiency, which means:

a.) We develop - ONCE AND FOR ALL - a legitimate, NFL caliber running game. Let's see - the Pats and the Hags will be playing here in Glendale in 2 weeks. And while they have a lot in common, the one thing that stands out is their respective RB's. Big, quick, bruising and durable. The Colts literally couldn't tackle Blount yesterday... and Lynch put up 150+ yards on the Packers, alot of that coming late in the game when the Packer defense was softened up and beaten down.

b.) We create a legitimate, NFL caliber threat at the TE position.

c.) We fix the gaping holes throughout our linebacker positions. Foote was solid most of the season, but wore down in the end. He's old. And his production was no doubt maxed this season. We need legitimate, NFL caliber linebackers who can stuff the run and be depended upon to cover a TE when needed.

d.) We need to create a legitimate, NFL caliber pass rush from the edges. Okafor showed flashes for a few games, but nothing that was sustained and repeatable/dependable.

e.) We need a more consistent, dependable solution at the #1 wideout position. I just don't see Floyd being that guy... and that worries me as if he doesn't take the step up and become that guy, we are left with an enormous hole...

f.) Special Teams... In short, we SUCK! With the exception of Cat-Man, the rest of our special teams are laughable. We can't punt at a NFL level. And we can't return punts and kicks with any measure of a threat to the opposing team.

Unless ALL of these issues are properly addressed, I don't see this team as one that is "close"...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
From a money standpoint, dumping DWash doesn't make any sense and I don't think it saves us much money. I think he stays, I think he plays well and redeems himself. He might still get another suspension to start the year though.

He might be out another year. I think it would be surprising to see the new leadership in this organization to continue to make exceptions for Daryl Washington.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think just as important if not even more important than the players is what BA/SK is going to do. Are they going to sit down and have frank discussions not only about the players but over their performance. Will they admit where they went wrong and what they did right. What can they do to improve upon their weaknesses.

Can BA admit maybe the Palmer/Stanton/Thomas trio is shaky and they need to investigate other options. Will they look at the RB situation and say what we have isn't quite cutting it and we need to pursue a big back or will they say it's good enough?

Will SK say to BA look maybe it's time you give up the play calling and hand it over to some one else and be more focused on the entire team and would BA be willing to accept this?

I think items like this need to be hashed out before any player personnel changes are made. Are they able to ask themselves the big question "Where can we as a GM and HC get better"

By the way Mitch I too find trading for Dalton a very viable option as I think being under the tutelage of BA and TM could improve his performances. I also think having LeBeau on staff would attract some good defensive players to the team.

I think, cardpa, that the Packers gave the Cardinals a blueprint yesterday in the first half as to how to crack their defense:

Playing very physical up front in the running game---behind 2 BIG RBs in Lacy and Starks---hitting the TE over the middle---and running crossing patterns to the 2 receiver side.

As for BA---he loves calling the plays and won't want to give that up. The question is---will he finally see how QB unfriendly his system is and take measured steps to amend it. I would like to think he would, but BA seems very set in his ways, which means more 0 back sets on third and 8. Notice that when the Packers did that yesterday, they had trouble converting.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

I'm very interested in our DC hire and how that impacts what happens to Dockett. Let's not forget Dockett was not thrilled with his "space eater" role under Horton.. if LaBaeu gets the job or is going to heavily impact the scheme, I could see Dockett not being worth whatever pay cut we'd want him to take and I could see Dockett not readily accepting any kind of pay cut with an assumed diminished role in the defense. Depending on how that hire goes and where we go schematically, I could see it being a mutual parting of ways at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
"How close are the Cardinals" to what Mitch? I think the Cards are close to being a perennial post-season contender - mainly because of ownership and BASK. But, are they close to getting back to a Super Bowl, dare I say winning a Super Bowl? No, they're not. Let me clarify:

- I think Palmer is good enough to win a Super Bowl - IF everything else is in place and operating at maximum efficiency, which means:

a.) We develop - ONCE AND FOR ALL - a legitimate, NFL caliber running game. Let's see - the Pats and the Hags will be playing here in Glendale in 2 weeks. And while they have a lot in common, the one thing that stands out is their respective RB's. Big, quick, bruising and durable. The Colts literally couldn't tackle Blount yesterday... and Lynch put up 150+ yards on the Packers, alot of that coming late in the game when the Packer defense was softened up and beaten down.

b.) We create a legitimate, NFL caliber threat at the TE position.

c.) We fix the gaping holes throughout our linebacker positions. Foote was solid most of the season, but wore down in the end. He's old. And his production was no doubt maxed this season. We need legitimate, NFL caliber linebackers who can stuff the run and be depended upon to cover a TE when needed.

d.) We need to create a legitimate, NFL caliber pass rush from the edges. Okafor showed flashes for a few games, but nothing that was sustained and repeatable/dependable.

e.) We need a more consistent, dependable solution at the #1 wideout position. I just don't see Floyd being that guy... and that worries me as if he doesn't take the step up and become that guy, we are left with an enormous hole...

f.) Special Teams... In short, we SUCK! With the exception of Cat-Man, the rest of our special teams are laughable. We can't punt at a NFL level. And we can't return punts and kicks with any measure of a threat to the opposing team.

Unless ALL of these issues are properly addressed, I don't see this team as one that is "close"...

Excellent summary, 82.

I question whether Palmer is good enough to win a Super Bowl. Like you said, if he has a full compliment around him, his chances are greater. There is just something missing about the guy---can't put a finger on it---while he has an excellent work ethic, and he is tough physically, he doesn't seem like the kind of player teammates rally around. It looks like he's a brooder and a self-engrossed kind of player. There's something very ho-hum about him.

As good a QB as he was coming out of USC, he's played in what?: 2 playoff games his entire career? At Cincy they did surround him with talent---and that still wasn't good enough for him. The Raiders' players didn't seem too broken up about seeing him move on.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'm very interested in our DC hire and how that impacts what happens to Dockett. Let's not forget Dockett was not thrilled with his "space eater" role under Horton.. if LaBaeu gets the job or is going to heavily impact the scheme, I could see Dockett not being worth whatever pay cut we'd want him to take and I could see Dockett not readily accepting any kind of pay cut with an assumed diminished role in the defense. Depending on how that hire goes and where we go schematically, I could see it being a mutual parting of ways at the end of the day.

Good point, gmabel.

I think, however, that BA wants to keep the current "1 gap" philosophy up front on the defense. He wants to keep his boys like Dock hungry for red meat.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think we are pretty far away. It is easy to go from 6-10 to 10-6. It is difficult to go from 11/5 to Super Bowl. Point being, are we closer to the Cincinnati Bengals or the New England Patriots/Seahawks?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard