Houston Not being waived. Possibly Williams?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Not sure why they would choose williams over Anderson...

If this is true I think we need to go all out after him though.

New York Times - Allan Houston, whose name became nearly synonymous with a new rule aimed at unloading expensive players, will be spared when the league's so-called amnesty deadline passes tonight.

The Knicks had considered waiving Houston to save about $40 million in luxury taxes on his salary, under a one-time option provided by the new collective bargaining agreement. That provision, adopted in July, has been commonly referred to as the Allan Houston rule.

But in a curious twist, the rule will not claim its namesake as a victim. Instead, the Knicks will waive a spare power forward, either Jerome Williams or Malik Rose, sometime today, said a basketball official who was briefed on the decision. The person required anonymity to avoid jeopardizing relations with team officials.

A second person briefed on the discussions, who required anonymity for the same reason, said that Williams was the probable amnesty target. Williams is owed about $19 million over the next three seasons; waiving him would save the Knicks an equal sum in luxury tax payments.

A Knicks spokesman said the team would have no comment until it formally made a move today.

Houston had seemed the most likely target of the amnesty clause. He is 34, has played only 70 games the past two seasons, and has an incurable arthritic condition in his left knee. But Houston is working diligently to strengthen his legs and the Knicks have been encouraged by his progress.

In deference to Houston's contributions, team officials concluded that they should give him every opportunity to make a comeback. Houston has a close relationship with James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, and a good rapport with the Knicks' new coach, Larry Brown. If healthy, he is still the team's best shooter.

Williams and Rose are members of a crowded power forward rotation, which also includes Mike Sweetney (the probable starter), Maurice Taylor and the rookies David Lee and Channing Frye

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just say no to JYD. The Suns need players who aren't offensive liabilities. Williams is virtually the same player as Outlaw.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never figured out why Jerome Williams is called JYD.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Just say no to JYD. The Suns need players who aren't offensive liabilities. Williams is virtually the same player as Outlaw.

I didn't think he was THAT big of a liability although you could be right. I still think he would be a good person to have on the bench (and I also want Outlaw back). Nothing wrong with bigger bodies that love to hustle and know their role. Not to mention they are both great locker room guys.

Of course I want him on a minimum deal, not the LLE.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nevermind I just looked it up. Junkyard dog.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Either way I can't imagine this report is correct. The Knicks would save more money by waiving Anderson's contract and they wouldn't have to give up a player.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Either way I can't imagine this report is correct. The Knicks would save more money by waiving Anderson's contract and they wouldn't have to give up a player.

True but that goes under the assumption that the Knicks would actually do something smart. When was the last time that happened?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes almost no sense, but I guess it's par for the course for the New York Knicks. Why would you waive a scrappy player who can still contribute when you could save almost the exact amount of money by waving a player who isn't even on the roster anymore? I do see 16 players on the New York roster. What's the maximum allowed in the new CBA?

BTW Jerome Williams is a better offensive player than Bo outlaw. I think he's also better on the boards. He is not a shot blocker like Bo Outlaw, but he's a solid defender.

I would think Jerome Williams would fit in very well with this team. It's hard to imagine him on this side of the country though.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
BTW Jerome Williams is a better offensive player than Bo outlaw.

I'm prepared to concede the point, but what do you base this on? His career scoring average per minute is just a little bit higher, and he shoots a lower percentage (from the field, of course :lol: ). Outlaw is actually pretty crafty around the basket, especially when you consider that opposing defenses are always desperate to foul him.

I'll give you that Williams is a better rebounder, however. And I love the idea of describing someone as "not a shot blocker like Bo Outlaw."

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
I would definitely take either Williams or Rose. I think that Williams would be a great fit here. He is high energy, a great rebounder and defender, and Nash would make him look better on offense...just like he did with Hunter.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
BTW Jerome Williams is a better offensive player than Bo outlaw.

I'm prepared to concede the point, but what do you base this on? His career scoring average per minute is just a little bit higher, and he shoots a lower percentage (from the field, of course :lol: ). Outlaw is actually pretty crafty around the basket, especially when you consider that opposing defenses are always desperate to foul him.

I'll give you that Williams is a better rebounder, however. And I love the idea of describing someone as "not a shot blocker like Bo Outlaw."

it would be based on my overall memory of him. I have to admit that sometimes I get an impression in my head based on one good game. I had to watch quite a few New York Knicks games last year though. Unfortunately I can't look up the numbers for him right now because they are fixing some things.

Besides, I love the way he wears his socks. :)

Joe Mama

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
williams may not have a great offensive game, but it's not completely terrible. he's not a shooter, but he knows that. he has a fairly good handle for a bigman and can get out on the break. he'd be a good spot-minute rebounder-defender. hell, back in his first year at g'town thompson even used him at point sometimes.

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
i like him and i think we should pick him up. i think we can afford to take someone that is an offensive liablity when we score with such ease. this guy is a hustle player and he will get rebounds. he's a much better player than outlaw. dont get me wrong, i love outlaw, but the only reason he was on the team was for moral support (maybe not initially). JYD would be a great addition to our bench in my opinion.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i cant beleive that ny waived a guy that played in 79 games last year. his numbers look OK. did he have a career ending injury at the end of last season or this summer that would cause them to not use the "allan houston rule" on allan houston?

baltimorer

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It really wouldn't make much sense for the Knicks to waive Houston, given the latest news about his status. The way local Knicks newspapers have reported the situation, it seems like there are two likely scenarios with Houston: 1) He can't go come November and he retires, or 2) He comes back and is anywhere from the one of the league's best pure shooters to one of the best players on the Knicks. It seems to be that simple. If he comes back and experiences too much pain, he'll retire and the Knicks will not have to pay any luxury tax and 75% of his $40 million over the next 2 seasons will be paid by insurance; if he comes back and experiences little to no pain, there's no reason he won't be able to be a great help to the Knicks. Afterall, there's no substitute for Houston's premier marksmanship, and James Dolan has proven that he's going to turn a profit in NYC no matter what.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Thats exactly why they didn't waive him. News that he wouldn't go through what he did the past two seasons only surfaced the past few days.

The real question is why they didn't waive Shannon Anderson instead of Williams.

baltimorer

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First and foremost, the Knicks had 16 players on their roster before this move. Waiving Shandon Anderson would save Knicks owners anywhere between $15 and $19 million (depending on who you believe), but that's all it would do. Pretty much, that's the same as they are saving by waiving JYD. So, what's the difference whether they waive one or the other. With Houston possibly healthy, JYD would be behind Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway, Trevor Ariza, and Quinten Richardson; why keep him?

Some people can't understand why they didn't waive Malik Rose or Mo Taylor, but I don't think it really matters. Between JYD, Rose and Taylor, not any of them are any good really, and at least Rose and Taylor could get time at the PF spot, now that Kurt Thomas is in Phoenix so Amare Stoudemire doesn't have to play defense. JYD is 6'7, 235 pounds, kinda old and pretty beat up.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
The answer is very very simple. You waive Anderson and save just as much as you do with JYD. In one situation you lose an asset, in the other you don't.

Just because you have a lot of people under contract doesn't mean you should give one away.

Also, why would JYD be playing behind a bunch of SGs? Why do people think he is a wingman?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Why do people think he is a wingman?

Because he takes one for the team so his buddy can live the dream?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
JYD is 6'7, 235 pounds

Who are you thinking of? NBA.com lists Williams at 6' 9", 206. He's probably heavier than that now, but the height is about right.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison